For those of you with modding ambitions:

Peregrine

I totally agree with Peregrine's first post, and most pleased to hear mod's are hard work and it's not just me...LOL

But from a newcomers point of view this thread just gives off the impression modders are not willing to help because you have been burned by overambitious newbies, or tired of helping new modders because the Wiki has all the answers. Well I hope when I become a modder I don't share such cynicisms, I have spent months learning from the Wiki and many other tutorials so I can mod and contribute to the community. But sometimes the answers are not as obvious to others, especially when just starting out, if you cant ask an experienced modder for help then who do we ask ?

I mean no offense and apologies in advance if I have, this is not a rant or a trolling attempt just an observation.... :wink:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that Peregrine has been banned from this site and is therefor unable to reply, and probably long gone.

Good thread though, and the number of 'recruiting 1000 people for my kewl mod idea but I have no idea how to use the CS' threads have decreased.

Hey everyone.

I am sorta new so I hope I am not jumping in to late here with the resurrection of a dead thread (its been a week?)

I have no technical knowledge but wish to learn modding. I may have asked some premature questions but have been nicely told where to start looking for tutorials and such. I do see that a great many modders are getting a bit angry with life. People will (unfortunately) always take advantage of a kind soul. However as a new person it is hard to know what/who/where to ask even when you read forums and tutorials. I dont understand to what most people refer most of the time (it is like I am trying to learn a new language or something!) And if you do get someone to answer a question its kinda like you want to jump on them and vamp drain them for knowledge before it is too late. Being new to forums in general I have to admit that it is also difficult to judge (since I cant see you) exactly where the line may be sometimes.

I think it may be helpful for a experienced modder to maybe have a form of basic info he would wish a person to review prior to asking questions and also with basic information that they may wish to know from us noobs. Maybe go from there? I dont know I am just throwing it out there. This entire thing is MAJOR INTIMIDATING and it is hard to ask questions and feel like a freaking moron! Remember--unless you are Wile E. Coyote Super Genius then you were like us once and didn't know anything! Be patient and use small sentences and non-scrabble winning words!

:thanks:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Lisnpuppy.

I am also new to mods, but I am good at figuring out how to make software tools do what I want. I downloaded CS about 3 weeks ago, spent a week going back and forth to the CS Wiki following the Beginner's Guide and, now, I have my “Divine Elegance Showroom” mod more than halfway thru. Planning to have an Alpha version in one week or two.

So … if you have a specific problem with CS, I will be glad to help and try to figure out a solution. If I can help you, I will do it, if I can´t, I will tell you.

But my little experience is limited to the CS. I know nothing about meshes, textures and animations (yet).

Besides, been a newbie and all, I’d better follow the rules and pay attention to Jojo’s 5th Commandment

• 1 month later...

basicly if youre new to the subject start out trying somin easy...

your way (do it according to your mod idea - order can differ depending on what you wanna do but thats the by me recommended way if you wanna get a full blooded tes modder):

change the price of an item

duplicate said item and place it ingame

create a place in the game where you find it

add a script to the item (very powerful if you master it)

make a quest leading there

add voices

change the items texture

change its model (also incredibly powerful once mastered)

make an animation for it

for most of these there are tutorials and you should be able to do quite anything in oblivion once youve done that

for specific question ask in the appropriate forum and always be polite... say thx! say thx! say thx! say thx! say thx! (yes its bloody important indeed ;D) and if someone really helps you give him kudos... i cant imagine any modder who wouldnt answer a question if its put nice and covers a topic which is not easy to understand in the first place... but remember to try to find a solution yourself first... most people worked their asses of to get where they are now... many even had to invent the wheel for specific things

also its necessary for whatever you do with computers that you learn to understand the basic principles behind the system... the language used, the buttons to click and where to look for specific files... mac os can be quite different from windows for that matter

asking specific modders is unpolite imo if you dont know em for some time and they didnt help you yet, well maybe if youve became an advanced modder yourself and need help for somin specific which only this modder knows... who knows maybe they dont even visit this page at all anymore...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to all the mod creators big or small. They have made my game so much better, the wife tells me I spend too much time here. :rolleyes:

Just for some background on me 21 years Navy, IBM software house using ADA (no I'm not C++ kind of guy). One thing that most newbee's like me needs is a good game terms reference manual. (I know comming from ex-military the abb can be quite confusing).

I just got Blender and started to read the instructions and see how much work is required to do a simple mod, I was impressed. This is comming from a guy that worked on a software design with a team for 3 years for what I would consider a simple program (interfermeter direction finder).

So to all the people out there that wants to start, listen to the experts and pay attention to their advice and have fun it's a game not a life.

:thanks:

Just a quick update I've found a reference for the CS that covers many of the questions that I have. Recommend reading for all new mod creators.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I couldn't agree more. Even though I'm a noob and can't make decent mods, if I go on to TESNesxus and see a mod and am usure wether or not to get it, if you can't spell or just have general crap grammar (especially if it is in some back story for the mod) odds are I won't download it.

• 3 months later...

Hello, :D

i am looking to make a companion mod , i want to create the lord of the rings character Golem as a companion , im not very good at modding so i would love some help

i can do the voice acting (very wellses :P) and possibley lip sync, but i need help with models and scripting for Golem, i think this could really be a fantastic mod. please message me on my messenger/email at [email protected]

adam

• 10 months later...

Yeah all you new modders, even if you don't know how to do it yet, you will improve while making your mods. :thumbsup:

I have a little skill with scripts, no idea how Blender/Nifskope programs work but have used CS alot. I like to ask you if any of you can help make some meshes and textures for my new mod: FS-Adventure Begins.

Mod Description-

Adds 2 new worlds, a floating city over the ocean and The Island Of Timaras forgotten many years ago. The story is about an evil taking over many different worlds, you must help the Rebellion fight back if Tamerial is meant to survive. This is going to be the first chapter of the series of FS quests. Depending on how much help I can get depends on the quests there will be.

So please if anyone is skilled at making custom or edited armour and weapons or have any good ideas for quests please help me make my mod. :thanks: