9999 or 1000?

eLucifer

In F3, I never was able to reach save number 9999 but as there are 1000 slots in NV, I'm sure I'll reach there sooner or later. Question is, what happens when I reach save #1000? Also, what happens when I reach save #9999 in F3?

Question 1) Why in the WORLD would you have 1k saves?

Uhm... well... I guess that's really the only question.

Barring that, I'm fairly sure you'll get a message along the lines of "Maximum Saves Reached, Please Overwrite" or, if I was writing it "What the heck do you have 1k saves for? Write over one already."

So the game won't end after I reach 1000 saves? Good to know.

As to answer the question why I'd have one thousand saves, well, quick and auto saves are easily corrupted. In fact, I don't use auto saves at all. Instead of quick saving, I always save. I wish I had a hotkey to directly save the game, like what F5 does to quicksave.

And when I'm done playing and am about to close the game, I save twice. Just to prevent data loss caused by corruption.

I have well over 1000 saves in FO3. I like to go back and relive things some times or start an alternate time-line version of a mature character. I'm using a port of F3SGM that I modified for NV so each of my characters has their own 1000 slots.

Yep, just move the saves to another folder or stuff them inside a 7Zip file (they compress rather nicely, saving a ton of space). It then resets the "NNN/1000" saves number to reflect how many saves are now in the save folder after.

I usually archive whenever I get over 200-300 saves. My save count hit 650 before I finished the final battle (77 hours, which is about 8 saves per hour).