Horses

crossfirex

For the sake of clearing my name I just want to be clear about what I mean about Rev-engineering the Oblivion horses. I didnt mean to mislead anyone into thinking I mean to copy or trace the TesIV horses, only to study how they are implemented into the game via their scripts and how they interact with the other game resources. Then with that understanding create original + paid for content that behaves similarly in a Fallout:NV setting. Am I wrong to think this would dodge copyright infringement. please correct me

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the sake of clearing my name I just want to be clear about what I mean about Rev-engineering the Oblivion horses. I didnt mean to mislead anyone into thinking I mean to copy or trace the TesIV horses, only to study how they are implemented into the game via their scripts and how they interact with the other game resources. Then with that understanding create original + paid for content that behaves similarly in a Fallout:NV setting. Am I wrong to think this would dodge copyright infringement. please correct me

I believe this very well would avoid infringement. Studying or using horse resources that are still included in the games engine is not a problem at all. And paying/making your own models does not infringe on anything.

Edited by crossfirex

Yea importing an oblivion horse can either illegal or Expensive. Keep an eye out for and horse models under some kind of free to use and whatever copyright and post it here. May be a good start.

Most of those horse mods linked used the Bethesda Oblivion Horse base models and anims and if they appear here, the uploader will be banned for copyright infringement.

Great idea, and I'm sure it is possible. It would be quite an endeavor though. Maybe if someone gets really motivated? It really depends oh how difficult importing that functionality from Oblivion would be.

I would say either a mutated type horse, kind of like the brahmin/cow thing, or the previously mentioned robot horse would be good ideas. A normal horse wouldn't really be fitting, as no other animals seem to have survived without mutation.

coyotes are non-mutated as far as i remember

Yea importing an oblivion horse can either illegal or Expensive. Keep an eye out for and horse models under some kind of free to use and whatever copyright and post it here. May be a good start.

Most of those horse mods linked used the Bethesda Oblivion Horse base models and anims and if they appear here, the uploader will be banned for copyright infringement.

Aww, too bad.

Well, then, looks like we gotta make horses from scratch. However ridable/mountable things still exist, such as the car mod. If you make a horse model from scratch, you could still do it using that as a base.

Aww, too bad.

Well, then, looks like we gotta make horses from scratch.

Not necessarily. The developer license for that one animated horse model pack above was only $30. Of course to take resources like that and get them into a form working in a specific game would take more than a modest amount of skill, I think close to that of someone who could make what you need from scratch as well. In other words, you still need someone with decent 3D modeling skill, and it will be up to them to decide whether it's more effort to convert an existing model and animations (free or paid) to what's needed than it is to make their own.

The only thing that would change that is if you discover someone has already made new animated horse model in FO3/NV format (or close enough), not based directly off Oblivion assets, and they let you use them. Then you still need to make it ridable and all, but as you rightly say, that has been done to some extent in FO3 already. It may not possible to make it as smooth as mounts were in Oblivion, but it's certainly doable.

For the sake of clearing my name I just want to be clear about what I mean about Rev-engineering the Oblivion horses. I didnt mean to mislead anyone into thinking I mean to copy or trace the TesIV horses, only to study how they are implemented into the game via their scripts and how they interact with the other game resources. Then with that understanding create original + paid for content that behaves similarly in a Fallout:NV setting.

Will make zero difference trying to reverse engineer oblivions mount system. as someone who already knows how oblivion mount system works. All I am going to say is, you can't reverse engineer a system that has been removed from the engine.

It's just not there.

to make a horse act as a mount in F3/NV, it's going to be done in a completely different way.

Anyway what Pinball said. You need mad skillz in 3d and animation, and mad skillz in game asset development. And not the easy asset creation and implementation.

This being essentially a Creature, this is the hard end, puts it beyond most peoples modding time.

how many people with custom creatures? yeah like 5.