Retail threatens Steam ban

JimboUK

Most are funny but it is killing normal business. Isn't funny when you are forced to sell you competitor's brand. I don't like retailers that much but I understand why they hate steam so much. Steam is slowly becoming a monopoly and blindly following it isn't going to be good for your hip pocket. Edited by brokenergy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steam saved PC gaming? What a joke.

PC gaming used to be put in a disc, wait a couple seconds, press install, insert a key, and wait. Then, if you were lucky, that was it. No disc needed at all to play either.

Now with steam, its activate steam, wait an hour, an update starts, wait 2 hours, put in the disc, wait a couple seconds, it starts the install, wait for an hour as it configures the installer, put in key, wait an hour for it to register the key, wait for longer than normal to install the game, because it has to unpack the shifty .SIS files, game update starts, wait 5 hours (And if you buy it as soon as it hits the shelves, this update can break the game) and then, you can MAYBE play the game.

Bring back the old days.

LOL, stores don't help PC gaming either, they just keep stocking console game and more console games. The closest mall to me has two gamestop stores in it, one down stairs and one upstairs. They use to be two different companies but now that they merged their one larger company. Anyway the one down stairs only sells console games mostly PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360 games, While upstairs sells a similar mix but includes more WII titles. Where are the PC games you might ask, they get all of 2 isle stands. Now here is the funny thing right across from the mall was another Gamestop, which now moved a mile up the road and larger inventory due to larger store, but what do they stock? Over 95% of their stock is console games. So where do we get our PC games now? Kmart? They barely have anything instock.... Walmart? All cheap junk games ussualy, and very few decent titles. Target? Pretty much similar to walmart but slightly better stock.. Best Buy? Depends mostly on the store and their PC title stock is declining, and for what you might ask More console game space. Face it if retailers didn't cut the feet out from under PC gamers by cutting their stocks for more console stocks maybe they would actually be selling their PC games. So where do we turn for our PC games? Steam, Direct 2 Drive, heck even Amazon thats where. Its the only place we can find some of the older games we missed, and a decent place to get some of our new releases cheaper if your on a budget.

As for Commander Crazies statement that is a major overstatement, and not all games require a massive wait to install. When I got New Vegas it installed from the disk, and when that was finally done it took about 5 minutes to update and finalize before playing it, total time 45 minutes and most that time it was installing for the disk. As for my longest wait to play a game was 8 hours 30 minutes, for 8 hours and 20 minutes of that time it was downloading.

I've got to say, a lot of words by Steam haters will just go in vain... Instead of complaining, why not collaborate and just start a petition stating that Steam-based games should only require a simple one-time activation, once and for all fix the constant problem Steam has when in an idle state, remove or simplify the need to use Steam when running any game as well as remove any other traces of online systems (LIVE for example), and all in all keep the people who prefer to stay offline in mind?

Otherwise your next option is to force the entire industry to crash (again), and given the massive dedication and manpower you would need to accomplish this, I doubt there's any chance of this happening.

As for me? I no longer have problems with Steam. Now, in the beginning I did, but one Internet connection and a hibernate trick later I was playing Valve's games while offline.

I've got to say, a lot of words by Steam haters will just go in vain... Instead of complaining, why not collaborate and just start a petition stating that Steam-based games should only require a simple one-time activation, once and for all fix the constant problem Steam has when in an idle state, remove or simplify the need to use Steam when running any game as well as remove any other traces of online systems (LIVE for example), and all in all keep the people who prefer to stay offline in mind?

Otherwise your next option is to force the entire industry to crash (again), and given the massive dedication and manpower you would need to accomplish this, I doubt there's any chance of this happening.

As for me? I no longer have problems with Steam. Now, in the beginning I did, but one Internet connection and a hibernate trick later I was playing Valve's games while offline.

Steam already does all of that.

Steam saved PC gaming? What a joke.

PC gaming used to be put in a disc, wait a couple seconds, press install, insert a key, and wait. Then, if you were lucky, that was it. No disc needed at all to play either.

Now with steam, its activate steam, wait an hour, an update starts, wait 2 hours, put in the disc, wait a couple seconds, it starts the install, wait for an hour as it configures the installer, put in key, wait an hour for it to register the key, wait for longer than normal to install the game, because it has to unpack the shifty .SIS files, game update starts, wait 5 hours (And if you buy it as soon as it hits the shelves, this update can break the game) and then, you can MAYBE play the game.

Bring back the old days.

What disk? the problem is high street retailers aren't stocking them. You have two choices, order the disk off a website and wait two or three days or use a download service. I wish the stores did stock more than World of Warcraft and The Sims but they don't.

My local EB games was the site of a major uprising recently. They got a whole PC games wall now.

And I wouldnt have a problem with steam, if it was an OPTIONAL service.

Something like 'We have discovered that you either do not have an internet connection, or you are offline. Would you like to opt out of the Steam Service for this game?' in a Yes/Cancel box.

See, because not everyone has an internet connection on the computer they play games on. Shock and horror amirite?