How to make true dark nights?

JinixElder

I want to create true to life dark nights - like unable to see more than a few feet ahead unless there is a light source.

I would have thougt this easy but obviously it is not as there are no simple instructions I can find.

Does any one know of a way to make the outside like an interior so you can actually remove ALL light except the ones you want to add?

Are there tweaks to ini files or graphic settings that can do this?

Thanks for any responces.

I use Enhanced Weather myself (it's a bit older but it had a patch for another old version of Kvatch Rebuilt I use). With INI tweaks I have the nights as realistic as I want.

You do know that in areas without any light from human sources you can easily see even on the darkest of moonless nights providing there aren't any clouds to obscure the starlight. With even a sliver of moon that rises dramatically. If the moon is past 1/4 it will even give enough light under cloudy skies, providing the cloud layer isn't too thick (although the light is diminished and diffuse).

My tweaks to EnhancedWeather.ini make it so that on stormy nights you can't see enough to walk except by torch light or light spells/night eye (though night eye effectiveness is reduced outdoors by another mod I use). On clear nights with some moon light I have it so I can see as I would in the real world (I've done quite a bit of night sailing).

You can tweak the INI to match what your version of night should look like.

Thanks for the answer:

That's interesting but I don't want weather mods.

No clouds and perfect weather is what I want but black nights.

Can you tell me more about the .ini tweaks?

Is there a 'dark' filter that can be used?

Can one make their own sky so there are no stars or moons?

No way to eliminate the stars or moons in Enhanced Weather (at least as far as I know) but in my opinion it increases the number of dreary rainy days so if you're "sun adversive" you'll have fewer sunny days to put up with. :tongue:

The INI has sections for Tamriel and Shivering Isles ... I've added what the default value was in brackets after the line's comment (note ... I haven't visited SI yet so I can't say for certain if my values are what they will eventually be after I've had a chance to check out SI):

; =====================================================
; | Enhanced Nights : Configurable night light levels |
; =====================================================
; The NormalizeLuminance setting can have values between 0 and 1, where 0 has no effect, and 1 completely removes
; the vanilla blue tint at night. Values between 0 and 1 control the level to which the blue tint is toned down, in the
; same way the Luminance multiplier does for the brightness at night.
; For Tamriel:
Set EWInitQuest.ENLuminance to 0.7 ; Multiplier of the brightness at night. (default 1)
Set EWInitQuest.ENNormalizeLuminance to 0.75 ; Controls the removal of vanilla Oblivion's blue tint at night. (default 0)
; For the Shivering Isles:
Set EWSIInitQuest.ENLuminance to 0.7 ; Multiplier of the brightness at night. (default 1)
Set EWSIInitQuest.ENNormalizeLuminance to 0.75 ; Controls the removal of vanilla Oblivion's blue tint at night. (default 0)
To understand it your best bet is to download and extract the mod to a folder, read the readme and mod comments and examine the INI. I did a little try this ... test ... now try this ... test to get the settings where I wanted them (the trickiest were to get the weather transition speed to my liking as it's a subjective sort of thing and you can set transition times differently depending on which weather is transitioning ... read the INI).
Edited by Striker879

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded the mod but from what I read it is for Tamriel but I use my own worlds so not sure if its applic' to me.... however I will give it a try and see if I can use the ideas somehow. As that one really dark SS is what I want.

Just to add, MOO adds the ability to configure outdoor ambient, scenery and moon light in the ini file (default is set to 50%). For very dark nights I suggest lowering ambient and scenery light to 0%, while keeping moon light to around 15%.