Multiple accounts

mechatech

I know multiple accounts is illegal here. My questions are -

I see a user who gets banned for some reason and the moderator says that the other account that user had is banned as well. How do they know that the same person was behind two different users? And what's to stop that user from creating a new account with a different name?

The ISP Address of your computer can be read by many forum sites..I believe this is how they know. Some sites can ban an ISP address outright so even if you made another name it wouldn't let you log it. If one uses a different ISP I am sure whatever got the person banned in the first place would get them banned again in time. :thumbsup:

It's my understanding that the moderators are able to see the IP addresses associated with each account so they know if they are all coming from the same place.

Ha... I typed too slow!

Edited by Herculine

A lot of ISP's use IP's in the same range. So while your IP may be dynamic, it's dynamic to the point of your IP changing from 205.75.168.1 to 205.75.168.2

Those types of people are very easy to ban too.

That's pretty harsh to ban everyone who uses a certain ISP for the actions of one person...

Ummm, they don't. (Ban entire ISP customer bases, I mean.) The term "IP Ban" is a loose description of the far more nuanced steps taken. Obviously providing any more information about what those steps are would also provide clues as to how to circumvent them, so they obscure the details.