• 15 - 17
    • 18 - 21
    • 22 - 25
    • 26 - 30
    • 31 - 40
    • 41 - 50
    • 51 - 60
    • 61+

I just got back from a Halloween scavenger hunt.

About the video games. I had a system that the only way the computer did anything is if I put a 5 1/4 inch floppy in waited for the 2 GB of RAM to load and draw the starter lines.

I will have to go out and dust them 5 1/4 inch boxed old floppy disks off if I... wait... Working. There's one of the memory points in my memory. Working. Just to refresh my memory what the boxes of 5 1/4 inch floppy disk games were may take awhile ... Working ... if I don't just go out to the building and dust off the boxes and read the names of the 5 1/4 inch floppy disks.. Working..

I remember having to wait for the initiating 5 1/4 inch floppy disk to finished loading. Then I had to pull it and put another 5 1/4 inch floppy disk in to continue to load the word processor. Once I had the 6 - 5 1/4 Inch floppies set up I could type until I had used up 1.80 GB of RAM. Then I put a 3 1/2 inch floppy into the 3 1/2 inch floppy to save the text. Save. Working.

I remember I needed a Daughter board to enhance the video cards memory and couldn't play the newest game that it had. The computer was a hand me down.

I found out the Daughter Boards were no longer available. But I needed it for that newest game!

The last one that worked without the Daughter Board was something about a castle and finding all the secrets along the passages. While avoiding getting killed by skeletons that came out of secret passages along the way. The old computer with it's two 5 1/4 inch floppy disk slot and the one 3 1/2 inch floppy disk drive may still be under some dust that has accumulated in the old brick building out back.

If it hasn't been carried off by several old mice and the flight controller Joysticks out there too. I saw a nintendo machine when I was passing by the ancient still working single view Oscilloscope. I suppose the old 2 GB RAM and the video card in a huge five inch tall metal box could make one of todays youngsters cry just having to wait, load, play, wait, load, Save Game. Wait, load, switch to a 3 1/2 inch back to 5 1/4 inch load. Insert second drives follow up 5 1/4 inch floppy disk and wait. Work or play another couple of minutes.

Don't forget to Save or you have to go back to the 1st 5 1/4 inch game disk initiate the game again up to the Save you had before you forgot to Save the last time. And play all the way through the five minutes of the last portion of the game again from there to where you forgot to Save.

Hm? My memory is working. :sweat: Working. Majel Barret is repeating the word; Working. I think that was the Windows 3.ll my memory has made it back to so far.

This may take awhile, because my brain has to go through all the steps to the past to where I last remember playing with that machine. :sweat: Come back tomorrow. Working. That might have been Windows 95 on a modern computer with 16 or 32 Gigabytes of RAM. :whistling: Hm? I just remember it was 2 GB of RAM and the Daughter Board would have given the video card a boast of 2 GB or 4 GB.. :laugh:

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL ... you've hit a bad chip I think Paga ... KB or at most MB for most stuff back in those days. I don't think they'd even invented GB yet.

Maybe all you need is to shut down let the chips cool a bit and then reboot. Keep an eye on the Post and make sure all the memory is counted (do you remember when you could actually read the numbers as they cycled during Post ... now you're doing good to keep up with the tens of thousands, the other ones are just a blur).

Or it could be a different sort of problem ...

- Edit - You're doin' pretty well for a whipper snipper ... playin' with the geezers and all!!

Had to grow up fast I guess lol. I had two older brothers one of which was already out of high school when I was born so I grew up with a lot of their old stuff to play with. And honestly a lot of older games are better then modern ones, far less streamlined console friendly garbage. On top of that going to a university with classes with folks far older then me contributed to that. :D

About the video games. I had a system that the only way the computer did anything is if I put a 5 1/4 inch floppy in waited for the 2 GB of RAM to load and draw the starter lines.

someone needs to pull Paga out and blow on him real quick he seems to be bugging out.

- Edit - You're doin' pretty well for a whipper snipper ... playin' with the geezers and all!!

Had to grow up fast I guess lol. I had two older brothers one of which was already out of high school when I was born so I grew up with a lot of their old stuff to play with. And honestly a lot of older games are better then modern ones, far less streamlined console friendly garbage. On top of that going to a university with classes with folks far older then me contributed to that. :D

someone needs to pull Paga out and blow on him real quick he seems to be bugging out.

Careful there Dr ... coud add O2 and start an inferno (or is that infernal ... or maybe referral ... probably one of those).

More to the point! I remember best what tests my memory more recently. Going that far back in time is like walking along the aisle in the library with all of Halloween's authors shelves keeping my interest now, because Halloween is invigorating me.

I am happiest this time of year, and the Computer recollection section of my mental library is not my present attention getter.

Which is a long way further back toward the front door where my life started in a little baby outfit bundled in a blanket, wrapped up cozy and warm while the elder children were preparing for, 13 days, Halloween.

The front door of my library is where I began collecting memories in journals. When I was a baby; before I started off on a Halloween Items Scavenger hunt to give my lot, yard, and house a spooky make-over to entice little candy lovers to...

Scare me out of my candy!

Since it isn't likely I will be scared by any children I found the complete collection of the Crypt Keeper Television series, and if that's not enough I found The Complete set of the Twilight Zone television, the Munsters, and Hocus Pocus with Bette Midler. She looks horribly scary on the movie jacket with her to witch sisters.

More to the point! I remember best what tests my memory more recently. Going that far back in time is like walking along the aisle in the library with all of Halloween's authors shelves keeping my interest now, because Halloween is invigorating me.

I am happiest this time of year, and the Computer recollection section of my mental library is not my present attention getter.

Which is a long way further back toward the front door where my life started in a little baby outfit bundled in a blanket, wrapped up cozy and warm while the elder children were preparing for, 13 days, Halloween.

The front door of my library is where I began collecting memories in journals. When I was a baby; before I started off on a Halloween Items Scavenger hunt to give my lot, yard, and house a spooky make-over to entice little candy lovers to...

Since it isn't likely I will be scared by any children I found the complete collection of the Crypt Keeper Television series, and if that's not enough I found The Complete set of the Twilight Zone television, the Munsters, and Hocus Pocus with Bette Midler. She looks horribly scary on the movie jacket with her to witch sisters.

Hey checkout Black Mirror if you haven't yet. My brother and wife both thinks of it as a great successor to the Twilight Zone.

On the topic of Halloween the wife wants me to dress up as Linkle this year while she goes as Zelda. Which is a horrifying idea as it implies we are going to leave the house... which as the asocial type I am is the exact opposite of what I would like to do lol.

Someone?! Doctor heal me! Or Kill me! Either way. I know one way or the other I will be better and more to your liking.

It's my time of year Dr and it works it's magic on me the other 11 months of the year as well. I'm going to be 71 on the 18th. :woot:

Hey checkout Black Mirror if you haven't yet. My brother and wife both thinks of it as a great successor to the Twilight Zone.

On the topic of Halloween the wife wants me to dress up as Linkle this year while she goes as Zelda. Which is a horrifying idea as it implies we are going to leave the house... which as the asocial type I am is the exact opposite of what I would like to do lol.

Thanks! I will. Googling Black Mirror now! :happy:

Someone?! Doctor heal me! Or Kill me! Either way. I know one way or the other I will be better and more to your liking.

It's my time of year Dr and it works it's magic on me the other 11 months of the year as well. I'm going to be 71 on the 18th. :woot:

I don't think "heal" or "kill" are technically in my job description. "Fix" is kinda in there. :/