Unofficial TESNexus Minecraft Server

Ethre

So are we going to use a new map? I think we should. If we want to do a medieval city, that sounds good, but someone needs to define what medieval style they want to go with. I think Medieval English style would be good, which would include Gothic style. The current city layout is kinda hectic, should we like clear out a 150x150 area or something and surround it with some walls with towers? And maybe have a palace above the walled city sitting up on a ridge or something. In the middle we could build a big gothic church and have a fountain in front and plan the rest of the town around that. Also I noticed medieval has lots of stone arches built into the structures. I could help some with the architecture style, and google up some pics of structures that look cool and try to replicate them the best we can with what we got. Medieval materials would probably be cobble, stone, wood, brick, wool.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half-blocks are your friend... (Sandstone + Wood frame with half-block layers = Tudor-style buildings :biggrin:)

I do play Minecraft, but I play SSP rather than SMP...

English tutor has a lot of white color in the structures, you could use wool for that. And then it has lots of diagonal planks on the outside, you could use wood to inlay it in diagonally, but you might have to have at least 2 thick going diagonal for it to look right. English tutor wouldn't be something easy to replicate in this game, at least replicate it to where it looks halfway accurate.

Just tried my half-block layer idea in SSP and well, it only works if two half-blocks are of the same type. Yet, when you break the block with two halves, it respectfully gives you two half-blocks instead of one whole block. What's up with that?

Hopefully Mojang will fix up the half-block system so you can do what I want and be able to choose which half of the block you want to stack the block on or which half-block to break up. Oh, and that the wooden half-blocks are broken down faster with the axe instead of the pick... :biggrin:

It would be impossible to test because currently if you try to stack a half-block of one kind on a half-block of another kind, when you place it the block will ignore the remaining space not taken by the half-block already placed and will go to the bottom half of the next unoccupied space in front of the selected face of that block.

Reworking the system to where the selector will realize when there's a half-block in the crosshairs or when you're holding a half-block and therefore resize to represent where the half-block will be placed or which half-block is selected would benefit greatly, allowing for greater control for the player and allowing him or her to choose how and where to stack half-blocks. After all, wouldn't it be nice to make your house appear well-constructed rather than just look like a crude bunch of blocks?

Edited by ziitch

Does Minecraft include support for multiple objects in the same block? If I recall, paintings are the only thing capable of it right now (With water). Plus, there's a limited number of blocks the game can have (256) due to Java programming, so I'll assume Notch is being stingy because people would flip if he later took the blocks out to make room for new ones.

So if you stack the same type of material half block it will fill the same cube then?

Oh Ub3rman what kind of Midevil style town you going with, cause I was thinking it might be a good idea to use something from the Era of Gunpowder, like a Stared Fortress town. Like Coevorden.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Coevorden.jpg/664px-Coevorden.jpg

The idea of thise fortress City was to minimize the dead zones of range combat at the base of each Bastion. Example

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/StarFortDeadZones.png/200px-StarFortDeadZones.png

Edited for image size

Edited by Gracinfields

According to this, the painting is an entity, which is why water can be on the same space and why other things like torches aren't removed when the painting overlaps them. Hmm, I wonder if you can "hide" a button behind a painting then and it'll still activate without removing the picture...