Cargo Hold Crash

apaosha

So, I'm on Zeta and I'm in the Cargo Hold looking for the MPLX Novasurge. I can get in there fine, fighting enemies fine, looting interacting everything.

But after around 5 minutes, after killing most of the Aliens the game freezes, the screen fades to black slightly and it crashes entirely. After a while (it takes ages to quit out of the application) I get the Error Report window.

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems to happen when I approach the garbage chute thing with all the junk, cows etc flying from the ceiling into a pit in the floor.

But it doesn't happen immediately. It seems to only happen after spending a certain period of time in this cell, as if it occurs in response to something that is triggered after a x amount of time; perhaps a piece of junk in the chute appearing/disappearing.

Anybody else come across this? Any ideas?

never found the cause, just needed to move and save quite often.

however I later found that I was running fo3edit in masterupdate mode incorrectly

so try fo3edit in masterupdate mode - make certain it works correctly

problem vanished outside of that area -----

only plausible cause was enemies spawning in non-pathed spaces, like behind walls or below decks

but this cannot actually be confirmed.

I've just finished the entire Zeta quest, bar going into the Cargo Hold cell. The problem is there.

I even tried going in, saving every 30 seconds.... guess what? I've got a save where the game crashes immediately after I get control. I can move two steps, then bam! Crashed.

It's slightly funny actually. I seem to have managed to save it just before the crash trigger comes into effect. Which seems to suggest there is something scripted to happen after a certain period of time in the Cargo Hold which is the cause of this.

I lost a save where I got all the bobbleheads cos of this bug. Shame.

I'm going to try load the save, then coc to another cell. I'll report back with the results.

Immediately upon launching the crash save I entered the console and typed:

coc DLC05EngineCore

..... and teleported to the Engineering Core.

Everything worked fine after that, so it's not a corrupt save. There's something in that cell that causes this.

• 3 months later...

Could you tell me what mods you were running? for one I suspect to bethe problem is MMM (I'm currently in the same boat as you were. I think its when it spawns a alternate brahmin cause i always hearthe Moo just beforethe crashe, and its not every time a Moo, cause there are some Moo's that make it thru the portal and don't CTD.

Moo?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

So years after the original post, I'm here to deposit a definitive answer. lol Although the answer is the the details above in conjecture, I'd like to just confirm it works.

I had the exact same behavior today as described (quite nicely) by the OP. In the cargo hold, close to the chute, the game would crash every 10-20 seconds or so. The game was stable elsewhere.

Seeing the comments above about MMM, I decided to give that a try as a possible culprit. That was indeed the problem, however you cannot just disable the Zeta portion of the add-on, you have to disable the entire thing. After disabling all elements of MMM, I re-loaded from a save, then saved the game again. Then I loaded the from the new save (one that has no MMM details in it), and problem solved.

Once out of the area, you can re-enable MMM.