Nexus hacking

Dark0ne

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never understand the allure people see in creating multiple accounts just to try to cause trouble, getting those accounts banned and then creating more accounts with a determination to continue to cause more trouble. For that matter, I don't understand the allure of hacking the site to begin with either.

Why can't people just enjoy the games and resource sites like this one and just leave it alone for cryin' out loud?

(Sorry if that's just adding more clutter to a thread that was never intended to get into all of this, but I just don't get it...)

Guest TrainWreck2010

EDIT by LHammonds: Go away trainwreck. I was willing to talk to you until it was discovered that you are a previously banned troublemaker.

Since I'm here, I'll go ahead and reiterate what I said on earlier pages:

I would recommend changing your passwords regardless of how passwords are stored in the database. The database was compromised, therefore, it would be wise to change your password...and please don't use the same passwords you use on other sites.

Keep your passwords unique to the site...if you must use a similar password everywhere, find a way to make it unique to each site.

Got too many to remember? You might want to use a helper utility to store your info. Example: Portable KeePass

And if you are getting spam, simply create a new email at Gmail or Yahoo and update your profile to use the new email address.

LHammonds

Edited by LHammonds

Did they also get PayPal transaction records? Specifically ones that contain the user's real full name within, that would tie it to an e-mail address?

It's not that it matters much, but I am curious about it.

----

Just a side thing... you mentioned "any sensitive information users have placed in their profiles is done so at their own risk as per the terms of service for this site that everyone agreed to before signing up."

I just went to the "Registration Terms & Rules" page and it says nothing of the sort anywhere on there. The only two instances of the word "Profile" are in a paragraph about Avatar Rules, and there is no instances of the word "risk"... so, you may want to consider updating it. (Even if it is just plain old common sense. CYA, ha ha.)

I would imagine card details would stay with PayPal, I don't see why PayPal would need to pass them on or why they would need to be stored here.

wow i always miss things going on around here :) good news it was fixxed fast.... damn hackers....

You didn't miss much.

The most important thing is plugging the holes and insuring it doesn't happen again not pointing the blame at whose fault this is. That can come later.

Eh, not that I know squat about anything... but as for me I don't think "that" needs to come at all. Something happened, it's been handled, the end. What's to be gained from wasting time and energy determining whose fault it was? We know whose fault it was: the hacker who perpetrated the incident.

You run a fabulous site, Dark0ne, and we'd all of us be the poorer without it. Anyone who's got their panties in a bunch needs to remember that. I'm off to renew my premium membership.

If I were in your shoes, I'd pass it on to the authorities (if you believe that'd do anything worthwhile) and be done with it.

Even if he's underage, its experiences with the law like potentially this one that could teach him that it doesn't pay to do crimes like these, or even make him realize that this 'hacking' isn't a game at all.