Skyrim modding in 2015 still not as good as oblivion modding in 2010?

YngvieMalmsteen

Thanks cdcooley, you are right. Theres has been and is a lot of learning and discovery to happen with skyrim modding compared to past bethesda games, and things to work around. Stuff that probably didn't pre-occupy modders as much when oblivion was new since not a whole lot changed from morrowind besides radiant ai i suppose. I suppose i will take it easy with skyrim modding for now and try to create the be all/end all skyrim installation after a few more years pass.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

simtam how have you not heard of FCOM? anyways its a quick google search away. i'm not going to sit here and list every feature because it is a huge mod. OOO is the main mod that FCOM is built around. Its the most popular overhaul for oblivion.

This is a good example of how many FCOM fans are really, really obnoxious about it.

Papyrus issues? Locational damage for one. nobody has come up with a mod that does the same thing and isnt buggy yet. deadly combat has a dumbed down version that isnt as good as what locational damage sets out to do. Every time i get unexplained crashes, even after i have done merged patches BY HAND, FOR HOURS AND HOURS to resolve every single conflict between mods, i have to assume its papyrus, what else do i have to go on, especially when thats what everyone complains about in skyrim?

The facts that nobody has figured out how to do locational damage and deadly combat never got a full Skyrim version are not due to Papyrus conflicts nor bugs. Like I said, most or the complaints about Papyrus are due to people having no idea what they are talking about.

And this is exactly how that ignorance spreads. One person who has no idea what they are talking about says, "Papyrus crashed my game!" Then other people who have no idea what they are taloing about say, "Hey, that guy is complaining about Papyrus. I must be having problems with Papyrus too!"

Also merged patches do not, in any way, guarantee stabbility.

They can resolve conflicts resulting from the rule of one, but that does not mean things will be "stable"

Edit: Also instead of manual merged patches I highly suggest using the Mator Smash Smashed Patch TES5Edit script.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1513199-wip-mator-smash/

Edited by Nephenee13

Also merged patches do not, in any way, guarantee stabbility.

They can resolve conflicts resulting from the rule of one, but that does not mean things will be "stable"

Edit: Also instead of manual merged patches I highly suggest using the Mator Smash Smashed Patch TES5Edit script.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1513199-wip-mator-smash/

Thanks for the link. So that is better than the merged patch function built into tes5edit? replaces it or to use alongside?

Also replaces batched patches? (i would delete the levelled lists out of the tes5edit merged patches and use wrye bash for the levelled lists like Sharlikran said)

Edited by YngvieMalmsteen

I would suggest using the most recent Merging script to merge multiple ESP files into a single one for space saving reasons (ie: combining multiple clothing/armor mods into a single ESP), but otherwise the Smashed Patch is intended to completely replace the functionality of both the Bashed Patch and TES5Edit Merged Patches. Its still in beta, but I've been running it for quite some time now and its even better than an Oblivion CBash patch, much less a Skyrim Bashed Patch.

I am currently using a Bashed Patch, but solely for its Merging capabilities, deselecting all other options, including Leveled Lists. Eventually I'll merge some esps and eliminate the Bashed Patch.

Well it's important to remember that modders are editing files. They're going into the game and changing the files. With Skyrim, it's relatively easy because you have a Creation Kit instead of hex-editing or whatever crude methods were used in the past. And, luckily some changes are not permanent. But imagine several thousand people making their own various changes to the game. There's going to be conflicts. It's like Twitch Plays Pokemon; everyone tries doing their own thing and it's slow and painful but in the end they beat the game and it works out. Likewise, you either make your own changes which gives you a level of control but requires effort, or download random people's mods and make them work together...which requires effort.

And since the CK is easy to use, I suppose the quality of mods expected has gone up. There's new quest mods with voice acting, there's a flying mod, fancy UIs, followers, the traditional retextures, the joke mods, the combat mods, new armor mods, new enemy encounters, dual sheaths, animations, etc. And installing them is so easy I forget I'm modding until I get a CTD lol.

So try not to see mods as official DLCs or gamepacks since unlike a professional game development team, there is basically no coordination between mods. Yes, some authors accommodate popular mods, but that's a privilege not a guarantee. The base game is fair game for the whole modding community.

simtam how have you not heard of FCOM? anyways its a quick google search away. i'm not going to sit here and list every feature because it is a huge mod. OOO is the main mod that FCOM is built around. Its the most popular overhaul for oblivion.

This is a good example of how many FCOM fans are really, really obnoxious about it.

How on earth was that obnoxious? He asked why he didn't know about it and told him where to find more info about it. Your post is the only one that was obnoxious.

Well it's important to remember that modders are editing files. They're going into the game and changing the files. With Skyrim, it's relatively easy because you have a Creation Kit instead of hex-editing or whatever crude methods were used in the past. And, luckily some changes are not permanent. But imagine several thousand people making their own various changes to the game. There's going to be conflicts. It's like Twitch Plays Pokemon; everyone tries doing their own thing and it's slow and painful but in the end they beat the game and it works out. Likewise, you either make your own changes which gives you a level of control but requires effort, or download random people's mods and make them work together...which requires effort.

And since the CK is easy to use, I suppose the quality of mods expected has gone up. There's new quest mods with voice acting, there's a flying mod, fancy UIs, followers, the traditional retextures, the joke mods, the combat mods, new armor mods, new enemy encounters, dual sheaths, animations, etc. And installing them is so easy I forget I'm modding until I get a CTD lol.

So try not to see mods as official DLCs or gamepacks since unlike a professional game development team, there is basically no coordination between mods. Yes, some authors accommodate popular mods, but that's a privilege not a guarantee. The base game is fair game for the whole modding community.

Oblivion had a CK.