Why can't we make fat people?

yoba333

So we can make entirely new bodies, but not overweight people. How come? I don't have much skill in Blender but it seems like fat people could be made.

You must've read the post about why santa can't be in fallout. =P

I've heard of a mod that had outfits to make your character look pregnant, but I don't want a pregnant Santa, that'd be a bit too distrubing.

I had a related question, about making characters short. In the NPC dialog, there is a numeric field for "height" which defaults to 0.0 and for "weight" which also defaults to 0.0. Does anybody know how to use these fields? I thought they might be percent modification, so I set my NPC's height to -50.0, hoping to get a half size character. Instead, I got one which is so huge, his *foot* wouldn't even fit into the room. I have not experimented randomly with different values yet. Edited by davidlallen

I had a related question, about making characters short. In the NPC dialog, there is a numeric field for "height" which defaults to 0.0 and for "weight" which also defaults to 0.0. Does anybody know how to use these fields? I thought they might be percent modification, so I set my NPC's height to -50.0, hoping to get a half size character. Instead, I got one which is so huge, his *foot* wouldn't even fit into the room. I have not experimented randomly with different values yet.

It's a percent, with 1 being the default; 100% size. 0.9 is 10% smaller, 1.1 is 10% larger. Changing that value to 50 made it 500 time larger lol. I use the setting often for various roleplaying ideas.

I don't know about a weight, I honestly haven't looked into it that much. But I would hazard a guess that it works the same way, and that the results won't be what one would term 'overweight' so much as 'cartoonishly enlarged'.

So we can make entirely new bodies, but not overweight people. How come? I don't have much skill in Blender but it seems like fat people could be made.

sure.

there are a couple restrictions as to why different body types could end up lot of work. it just depends on how seamless you want the experience to be.

basically you can only have 1 body type per race. And essentially every outfit is also it's own body type.. just wearable.

in the most simplest case you make an outfit/armor that is essentially any body type, in this case a fat suit. so when a character is wearing that, they look fat. the limitations: if the character is not wearing said fat suit, they will have a default body of that race

you could then make a naked body variation, and use that as his races base mesh. so when the character is stripped, he remains fat.

there are probably scripting solutions to swap around what actual outfit a character wears depending if he is supposed to be fat or not..a race check somewhere.

over time, I guess you would have to make a fat version of every outfit/armor to fully flesh it out.

Note you will have to be using the same body mesh/ UV layout. well to some degree. I have quite extensively experimented with modifiing the body/UVs. Basically you can make the art assets pretty much seamless between bodytypes.

afaik it's all doable.

Edited by Ghogiel

It's a percent, with 1 being the default; 100% size. 0.9 is 10% smaller, 1.1 is 10% larger. Changing that value to 50 made it 500 time larger lol. I use the setting often for various roleplaying ideas.

Thanks. I have tried 0.5 for height and it is working. However, setting the weight to either 0.5 or 2.0 causes no visible difference. So I guess the OP is correct, but at least now I can make my NPC short.

If anyone has ever made custom players in Madden football games, that engine allows fat, short, tall, thin, at adjustments to most body parts. The uniforms seem to stretch to the right size no matter the final design. I am not a 3d modeler, so my comparison may be idiotic, but would this be possible in FONV? I agree with the others it would make a much more diverse population.