Need a bit of help with modding Morrowind.

Dulkan

Hello,

I've been thinking about starting a new Morrowind playthrough with mods for a while now and am in the process of collecting and downloading the mods.

A few questions:

1.MGSO is the big graphics- and sound overhaul. Are any of the other graphics mods useful or necessary? In the top 25 files alone I find mods like better bodies, armor, clothing, heads, several texture packs and MGE. I wonder, whether the things these mods do are already part of MGSO or if they offer an improved version.

2. I plan on installing MW: Rebirth and Tamriel Rebuilt. How likely are compatibility problems with smaller quest/content mods? From what I've seen, it'll be a bit of work to get MGSO, MR and TR to work with each other, so I'd like to avoid further hassle.

3. Is there a mod to change the levelling system? I always hated the strategy of having to increase a bunch of minor skills before levelling to get the maximum attribute points.

4. Any mods in particular I need to have to improve the experience?

5. I noticed MW-Nexus lacks the immersion category. Are there no immersion/realism mods?

Thank you for any help.

MSGO includes most of the smaller beautification mods like BB's. Some you will need to download seperately though, there should be a guide to installation on MSGO's site.

There's many leveling mods, most prefer GCD which makes specialization a lot more useful.

For land conflicts you can google "morrowind map conflicts" and that'll give you a general idea of what changes will be physically incompatible with whatever else. Faik TR should be completely compatible with MSGO.

Immersion :rolleyes:

Immersion is Skyrim's hot keyword, it's not MW's; most of MW's mods were designed to create a deeper, richer experience but almost none of them use the word immersive like some kind of magic badge of awesome.

As for what else you might want, start with MSGO get a feel for what it's lacking, fill those gaps then head over to Mythic Mods and look at some of the lists there, see what appeals to your play style. Sadly the lists are mostly outdated but you can find many of the mods listed either here or at Morrowind Modding History.

Morrowind Rebirth is very likely to conflict with other mods. As well as changing the Vvardenfell landscape it makes a number of gameplay changes. Load any mod (e.g. a levelling one) after Morrowind Rebirth and cross your fingers.

For MGSO: listen to Oubliette (Dark Diva?). Also read the first post of this thread on Bethsoft: Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics 3.0

I'm a bit stuck on what immersion means too, have a look at this list: Empirical Morrowind. If the links don't work then Morrowind Modding History is your friend.

This is good: Beginners Guide

For mod conflicts get mlox, it'll sort out your load order too. It's similar to BOSS or LOOT, less comprehensive in its coverage but much more in depth about the mods it does cover.

Edited by Dragon32

With MGSO you should get the temporary patch that I distributed on the nexus and the other patches/updates I linked to other than that, listen to these two.

Dragon: peeked at that list and something caught my eye but it is a dead link and it is not even on the mod history site do you have any idea where i could find Kieve's Beast Animation Replacer v4.2 ?

3. If you hate that, then don't do that. You don't *need* to have maximum points every time you level up. You will end up very strong by level 10 even if you don't maximise the point. If you just forget the attribute points and use the skills you normally would use ( Major/Minor skills ), then it becomes enjoyable. Levelling is tedious only if you want it to be :wink:

But, still you want leveling mods, then here's a comprehensive guide on that.

Thank you all,

I didn't realize Nexus isn't the primary mod source. A shame, that many of the mods listed at mythic are nowhere to be found anymore.

I did install everything today, a bit annoyed at the MGSO installer forcing me to use its built-in code patch 2.0, when I applied code patch 2.1 beforehand. Let alone the fact, that the installer disables mouse & keyboard for no reason at several points. I'll have to do a new installation tomorrow to work out the kinks, but it looked pretty good so far. My main problem was, that I wanted to use the facepack compilation, so I didn't install the improved heads from MGSO. Apparently the facepack isn't a head-mod however and one of the mods I installed after MGSO (most likely MCA) requires more heads. Thus I have headless npcs with big exclamation marks everywhere. MGSO crashes, when I try to install the heads afterward and after manually installing betterheads MW crashes on startup.

A few more questions:

1. Is the blood & gore mod redundant? It produces several warnings and there appears to be a tribunal-addon for it missing. So, is the functionality already included in MGSO?

2. Does MCA need Westly's headpack, as the nexus says or do MGSO heads also work?

3. I selected 1920x1080 during the installation of MGSO, but the game always starts in a 1280x960 window. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

4. Several older mods like Giants and well at dagon fell produce this error-message on game start:

One of the files that "DagonFel_Well_v2.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
This may result in errors. Saving again will clear this message

I don't know why, as I don't even have a savegame. I don't think it's very important, but is there a way to get rid of this error message?

5. mlox shows me this warning:

"Users who fail to register the BSA correctly will often find that loading Tamriel Rebuilt will result in a lot of "missing meshes/animation" error dialog messages popping up on load, some even fatal. Please double-check your Morrowind.ini file to ensure our Data Archive is registered properly, otherwise the game won’t load."

Is this just a general warning regarding the ini-edit needed for TR or something else?

Hollaajith, if it were that easy. I always like to do the optimal thing. I could try and force myself not to do it, but it goes against my nature. I'm sure, I'd be annoyed getting only 4-6 attribute points on lvlup, when I could get 11 or 15. Therefore I'd prefer to use a mod.

1 - Latest version of Blood & Gore is 2.14. On Morrowind Modding History.

2 - The most recent versions (11?) doesn't need Westly's heads. There should be a message in mlox if you're using one which does need 'em

3 - No idea. Never used MGSO

4 - The masters (ESMs) used by an ESP are recorded in the ESP's plugin header. Also recorded is the ESM's filesize. When Morrowind starts up it compares the recorded file size of an ESM against the file size on disk. If there's a difference (different language version, different version etc.) it throws that error.

It could mean an ESP won't work right (particularly with modder created ESMs) but usually doesn't. I'd recommend using Wrye Mash / tes3cmd / TESTool to update your plugins' headers.

Otherwise there's the temptation to click the Yes To All button and miss morre important error messages.

5 - General warning. Any suggestions on making that more apparent? Always open to suggestions, these things are clear to me but then they would be :smile:

[Edit: Windowed mode. Make sure both MGE XE and Morrowind's Options are set to play game full screen. Then (if needed) re-set resolution in MGE XE]

Edited by Dragon32

3 either check "Fullscreen" in options in the morrowind launcher and/or uncheck "windowed mode" in the MGE(XE) options from the MGE exe menu not the MGSO options.

Thank you all again. Got the game running with all the mods I wanted and didn't enconuter any problems so far after an hour.

Amazing job by the modders. The graphical update is massive and the world appears much more lively, I can't wait to explore more.

@dragon

The wording on this warning is rather accusatory and confusing, if you did the edit already, but are new to modding Morrowind. Isn't it possible for mlox to check the morrowind.ini whether the ini-edit has been made? If not, I'd word it more like that: "Remember: Tamriel Rebuilt requires an ini-edit to work properly. If you haven't done so already, please check the TR-Readme to find out what to do. Mlox cannot check, whether you completed this step."

I do have two more minor issues.

1. On startup I get this error message twice:

Cell "_TLgore_Test_Cell" not found for dialogue type Voice
Info "EMPTY"

It occurs during loading of the blood & gore tribunal addon. It doesn't seem to affect gameplay, only this error message. Any idea how I can get rid of it?

2. The warnings.txt also shows these messages

Texture "Textures\_land_default.tga" count 3.
Texture "Data Files\Textures\menu_thick_border_topsbdark.dds" count 2.

I assumed this meant I had duplicates of these files, but I cannot find more than one copy of either file. What do these warnings mean? Anything I should do about those?