Haven't played in a few months yet when I started it up, heavy lag?

kaam14

Hey guys (and girls), so I haven't played skyrim in a few months but the last time I played I have a stable (and good) FPS, no stutter, and barely any crashes. So that's what I expected when I started it back up but instead I get a laggy, stuttery mess! In interiors I have no lag but the stutter is so bad that it's unplayable! Outside looking anywhere causes a drop in FPS and a large stutter. I am running a fairly good computer, GTX 770, 16GB of RAM, etc. What baffles me the most is that when I turned it off for the last time it was running fine, and now after changing nothing, it's not...Can anyone help?

If you've got mods installed then you should go through and update everything. There has been at least one (minor) Steam update for Skyrim recently and mods like the Unofficial patches will need to be updated to the newest version. Any mod that has a dependency on the Update.esm will probably need to be updated as well. You should also probably weed out any outdated mods that aren't supported anymore.

I'm not 100% certain that this will fix your problem, but it's a good place to start.

I'll try that and get back to you but another thing I've noticed is that I get a lot of lag on the map screen. It stutters quite a bit.