Female GW's

ell46

But I thought the taint wasn't genetic (realistically speaking, it should not be), that any children born to a Warden would be normal? I understood that the only reason the Dark Ritual child was tainted when it was conceived was because Morrigan employed some magic tricks to make that happen. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/wacko.gif

This was my understanding as well. Although I also got hints that the Taint caused fertility (or perhaps teratogenic) issues, like certain drugs can. But nothing genetic... :unsure:

It would have to be that the taint would be passed onto the child since the babies feed of the blood for nutrientsfrom the mother (i think that how it was explained to me in health class) soooo it could be that a mini ritual happens within the mother and so the mother would either have a mis carriage or have a grey warden baby that only lives til 30 yrs old XD

• 1 month later...

Late to the topic (as always, that's me...)

IMO a child of 2 wardens would be rare, mothers body would be fighting the taint and the normal (hahahhaa) wear and tears of pregnancy in a medieval type society with all its attendant health issues. So rare enough that maybe Weisshaupt would have some moldering records of that time a few centuries ago when wardens x and y bumped uglies and produced baby B who, while at times a sickly child was so incredibly normal as to be unremarkable though -maybe- with a greater chance at later surviving the Joining. But the success rate of such pregnancies rare enough, and the normally attendant risks heightened by the taint and the fact that mummy and daddy won't live all that much longer make it so that it wasn't something that every female warden (those being few and far between anyway) would want to rush out and do.

The baby would (I believe) be mostly safe from the taint, as the placental barrier filters most impurities from the blood though it would be reasonable I think that a child of such a union would have a lower life expectancy, say maybe 40 years?

• 3 weeks later...
I always thought that GW just had reduced fertility rates (and the longer they lived, the worse it got till it reached a point of sterility). I think Morrigan mentions Riordan being "too tainted" as well, hm. Anyway, point being, that two GW have their chances reduced to maybe a chance in a million... but scholars will tell you that a chance in a million happens nine times out of ten :biggrin: