TES V, Multiplayer?

MizerD

179 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want TES V to have multiplayer?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Games that have multiplayer usualy have a sucky single player campaign.

Look at Halo Reach. It was ok, but it was still pretty short to me.

I would say Never. Single-player series should stay single player. We don't want any noobs harrassing us as we walk around trying to steal and pickpocket.

"Hey, dude! DUDE!!!!!!!"

"Shut up, I'm trying to do something."

"DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE"

*turns around and starts treating like Adoring Fan*

"SHUT IT."

• 1 month later...

I won't say never because I'm not an extremist, but I'm tired of playing with other people. They ruin immersion with their 'lol I lvled', and their 'ZOMG I'VE GOT BETTER ARMOR!!!!1!1 NOTICE ME NAOW!'. Oblivion is my place to escape people, not deal with them some more. LAN sounds better because I can essentially play with people I know, but the people I call friends stab me in the back in all other LAN games I have whenever they get the chance. Not to mention with full online... Trolls, Anti-Semites, Anti-Furries, White supremacists, Dchbgs, flamers, loot raiders, and a decrease in graphics.

Plus, I like to get freaky with my Elder Scrolls. You can't play with your friends when you have a body replacer!

People need to get real friends or a girl friend that plays eldar scrolls. I want co-op and nothing else, this can work on the 360 very well since graphics already are killed by the weak 360 and ps3. However, nowadays with modern technology CO-OP option can be done pretty well and for roleplaying purposes It would be awesome.

I have said this so many times about mods.

-all you need is separate directories for your single player game and multiplayer campaign.

-Connecting to a server will download all mods that the server uses and keep you from adding others

-Neverwinter nights did this very well.

Installing mods for Bethesda games is much more complicated than for NWN. Have you read any discussion threads for popular Oblivion mods? All they are is choked full of noob mod users saying "hey why do I see a bunch of exclamation points in yellow boxes, or this mod made my game crash and erased my homework from my computer then made my girlfriend broke up with me".

Not to mention the VAST supply of mods for Bethesda games in comparison to NWN. It's like comparing China to France. Sorting out who uses what and when this or that is used would be logistics nightmare. Then of course you have to seperate each server not only by taste and theme but by performance because hey man my crappy computer can't handle all those crazy performance mods this server is using oh noes!! THEN a single, single mod, mis adjusted can throw an entire server out of wack, and break everything... This was never a problem in NWN.

This doesn't even begin to explain the problems the devs would have with just reworking the game so it COULD play mulitplayer. A total interface rehaul would be in order so it worked on the fly and didn't have to pause to be used effectively, the game would have to be completely rebalanced, quests made repeatable so that one guy didn't ruin everything by completeing the wrong quest or killing the wrong dude...

If you want the game to come out in 2011 or even 2012 the answer should be no. Otherwise, maybe they should work on multiplayer and we might see the game by 2013 if we are lucky.

I have said this so many times about mods.

-all you need is separate directories for your single player game and multiplayer campaign.

-Connecting to a server will download all mods that the server uses and keep you from adding others

-Neverwinter nights did this very well.

Installing mods for Bethesda games is much more complicated than for NWN. Have you read any discussion threads for popular Oblivion mods? All they are is choked full of noob mod users saying "hey why do I see a bunch of exclamation points in yellow boxes, or this mod made my game crash and erased my homework from my computer then made my girlfriend broke up with me".

Not to mention the VAST supply of mods for Bethesda games in comparison to NWN. It's like comparing China to France. Sorting out who uses what and when this or that is used would be logistics nightmare. Then of course you have to seperate each server not only by taste and theme but by performance because hey man my crappy computer can't handle all those crazy performance mods this server is using oh noes!! THEN a single, single mod, mis adjusted can throw an entire server out of wack, and break everything... This was never a problem in NWN.

This doesn't even begin to explain the problems the devs would have with just reworking the game so it COULD play mulitplayer. A total interface rehaul would be in order so it worked on the fly and didn't have to pause to be used effectively, the game would have to be completely rebalanced, quests made repeatable so that one guy didn't ruin everything by completeing the wrong quest or killing the wrong dude...

If you want the game to come out in 2011 or even 2012 the answer should be no. Otherwise, maybe they should work on multiplayer and we might see the game by 2013 if we are lucky.

I don't see how the complication is relevant, if it's in a separate directory, and the server mod installation is automated and auto updates just like in nwn.

Seeing as how oblivionportal v.09, is working pretty well and almost ready for public release, as open source. All that needs to be done now is optimization of the GUI.

And if bethesda utilizes the same directory setup I should have little to difficulty applying it to skyrim. THe only problem is you can't play on the same computer that you use as a server.

Although I could,'t get the quests working I just set it up so that the online mode is as if all quests were completed so it would be done strictly for role-playing purposes.

Edited by Dianadoesitbest

It's relevent because unlike NWN you may need more complex software and game alterations than just dumping mods into a folder. Did the player download and install Skyrim Mod Manager, Skyrim Script Extender, did they invalidate their archives, do they have Skyrim Edit and did they create a merged patch, is their game directory in Steam or just the normal directory, can their PC handle the hardware requirements of this specific server? Imagine getting half way through the game only to have it crash because, oops, that mod interfers with X location so now we have to uninstall it or tweak it and now all of us playing on the server have to redo our entire installation because of one little mod.

These things may seem simple to overcome, but if they were then why, by the time we are on the 4th gamebryo game released with this modding format have we not overcome the need for all these complex steps in modding the game? If it were so simple, why can't all mods be automated already and just install themselves with a single click executable file? The answer is because it is not that simple.

NWN didn't have these problems because it's mod were fairly simple in comparison to Oblivion mods.

Multiplayer with vanilla games might make a lot more sense, but after a few big mods come out that fix really important issues, who is going to want to play vanilla anymore.

That doesn't even address the whole UI problem. I mean sure, Bethesda can just completely redesign their UI from scratch, no biggie right? Not like that is going to take a bite into other content that needs to get finished.