Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

What i think is that there will be no more having hundreds of mods installed at a time, because If every thing is paid for and costs $1 each for each mod would quickly add up to hundreds of dollars for a game that was $60 when i first got it and now its only $20 normally.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24573624. #24573669, #24573754 are all replies on the same post.

nathanj wrote:
boulegue wrote: more mods will give you more choice to choose from sounds like an advantage
danjal wrote: Guaranteed. Gopher gave this very reason in his video on why he wouldn't put his mods up.
It'd be a matter of time before someone made the same functions into a mod (no need to copy it even) and distributed it themselves.

And even with quest mods or complete overhaul mods. How do you determine its value when Steam Workshop fails to provide any support towards compatibility?

As someone else said (albeit with a mocking tone), "welcome to capitalism, brother".

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a more or less self policing market, and that's exactly why. I don't want to pay $3 for every mod I use because I'd end up paying about $600, but most of those mods are simple ones that anyone could replicate in short order. The ones that can't be easily duplicated, like Chesko's hypothermia mod, SkyRe, or the upcoming Luftaraan quest mod, won't be, and I also believe that those kinds of massive overhaul mods are the kind that actually deserve my money. I'm not paying a cent for an ENB config file or a modification to an existing spell or weapon, and I'm sure that most people won't want to either, so the authors of those mods will either remove their price or fall into obscurity.

Of course, this won't stop the first wave of people trying to cash in on this by putting up really simple mods with exorbitant prices, but that's temporary. I think it's too early to see where this will lead, but I have faith that it won't be all bad. Plus, I'm sure there are several people willing to release their mods, even larger ones, for free despite the option of getting paid.

In response to post #24572569. #24572664, #24572779, #24573134, #24573299, #24573349, #24573499, #24573674, #24573719 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote:
IgnacyOrder wrote: Im sure I wont be releasing my mod any more. I jsut keep it for myself because I dotn want someone now to steal it and make money for nothing. Or the fact I did use some stuff from modderss recources. Some people now may force me to pay for reeasing mod even thou its free. Makes me criminal then. I guess many modders wont want that problem

Youtuber mod showcases will die as well as it will be expensive hobby now
boulegue wrote: authors just like publishers will send their mods to reviewers for free so they get exposure
zzjay wrote: Lol you're right...i will never sell a mod...too many problems...of they close free modding ill jusy quit.

Modding is an hobby...not a job...if bethesda cant make thir own games pretty i dont see why to buy em at all...if i even have to pay for mods...mods are like essential for skyrim...without its worthless...
phantompally76 wrote: The question is how many of the irate modders out there tonight who are unendorsing chesko and isako's mods out of spite (which I don't condone, but totally understand) will in turn unsubscribe from Brodual, Gopher, and all the other popular mod reviewers that they perceive as being advocates for charging a fee for untested alpha content? So far I've only seen a reaction by Gopher, who was being diplomatically cautious about the whole thing.

I fear (and I really do hope I'm wrong) that this will also have an adverse affect on the Youtube modding reviews community. I'm not sure how many reviewers will risk losing subscribers, traffic and revenue by reviewing paid mods. Only time will tell.
boulegue wrote: zzjay you have made some great mods most of which are well up there in the 100,000 downloads so theres no disputing youre a great modder

but why do you want to take away others freedom to sell their hard work, if you dont want to sell yours thats fine and many think the same as you.... but if isoku and cheesko who are also great modders what to make money of off it why wouldnt you let them? noone is taking away our free mods valve and bethesda just gave us the option to monetize the work people put into their mods
rkelly wrote: my question is if mods go paid for than wont they become targets for pirates? in other words wouldn't this make mod piracy becoming a actual thing?
danjal wrote: Just look at the pricing alone.

Wet and Cold apparently set its price at $4,99
If I'm looking at Skyrim as a base game and its DLC.
We're seeing $20~40 for basegame/DLC or Legendary Edition.

So what would Wet and Cold be worth compared to the base game when the base game goes on sale as low as $14 on sale (And thats the Legendary Edition)?
What about a mod like Falskaar? Is Falskaar worth the same as Dragonborn/Dawnguard due to its size? Is it worth less because of some quality concerns? (Its good, but you notice its a mod nonetheless.)

What about something like SkyWind or Luftahraan that is worked on by a larger team?
How do you determine value for that?

What about mods that rely on assets from other mod makers?
What about customer support, who is responsible?
boulegue wrote: the price goes from $1-$99 you choose how much you pay for wet&cold $5 is just the recommended price

everyone involved in this should not be allowed to have mods on the nexus, this is just free advertisement for their treason.

its one thing to shill for shekels here if you're hurting for cash, but there is no protection on steam. Kids will be buying mods that break their game and then flooding steam with 'boohoos' when they keep crashing. They'll have to come here or elsewhere for their tools and that is just not fair.

Such a sad state of affairs.

In response to post #24571929. #24572044, #24572064, #24572299, #24573824, #24573909, #24574109 are all replies on the same post.

swiftfoxmark2 wrote:
boulegue wrote: bethesda decided to legalize it
Azarakos wrote: Valve and Bethesda get 75% of the mod income, the modder himself/herself get 25%. More money to the companies.

Welcome to capitalism, brother.
boulegue wrote: a musician gets much less for their music, a developer gets much less for their work on the game, a writer gets much less for their books.....

valve is being very generous in that department
swiftfoxmark2 wrote: Yes, I know that. But I'm referring to the Nexus policy.
boulegue wrote: the nexus is probably not able to give bethesda a share or bethesda is simply not interested in it and partnered with valve
WightMage wrote: And this why self publishing books and indie record labels are all the rage now. So too should it be with mods, IMO.

in the top 15 combined print & e-book fiction bestseller list of march 2015 all are published by established publishers to lazy to look up the music charts but i could bet its similar.... selfpublished and indie labels remain a minority because they cant afford the advertising big publishers can.... just as with games.... theres a few exceptions like minecraft but even that has now a big publisher behind it now

First thing i said to myself when i found such mods created by moders hardworking hundreds of hours was how in the earth these all mods come free of charge ?

Then i realised something more important, Bethesda, ZeniMax, Valve actually owes to the most of the authors. How is that so? Well after completing my first playthrough i did some alternative characters but i ended up uninstalling Skyrim and told myself, that was it, Tes series is over. Then after finding such community exist, my real Skyrim experience has begun. i have bought dlcs. Mod authors made ppl buy skyrim more. more ppl found what is skyrim or tes over time. 9gag and such websites made ppl to be aware of such game exist and buy Skyrim or even Oblivion and Morrowind. My 3500 hours of gameplay time is mostly because nexus and its contributors. So many precious names here as authors. so much respectful persons.

As conclusion, mod authors should and imo must dodge this capitalist invasion by letting their mods be free from Valve and Beth's greed chains and let nexus keep dominate that so called workshop of steam.

Im prettysure mods keeping being free of charge will getmore donations than ever. Because this community is the best i have ever encountered in my very long gaming and internet life and im sure people will give the appreciation more than ever they did.

Sorry for bad english.

TL;DR We bought a decent game, played it, replayed it and that was it. But modding community made TES a legend more than it has ever been before. So if someone is gonna pay, it is not us but bethesda and valve to the authors and nexus for making Skyrim a true legend.

While I would prefer to continue to get mods for free (for purely selfish financial reasons), I have no problem with people wanting to be paid for their hard work. They are exchanging their time and expertise, both of which have a value, for what people are willing to pay for it. They spend large portions of their lives creating a product which provides huge numbers of people hours of entertainment. I don't mind paying a small premium for huge, complex mods like those created by Chesko and Isoku. What I absolutely refuse to do is use the Steam Workshop!

My concern is that Nexus mods will no longer be updated or supported by mod creators because they have no financial incentive to do so. I think Chesko has the right idea here in that he releases his updates and new mods on Nexus at a later date. I hope that others will do this also if they choose to sell their hard work on Steam.

I don't think that this is going to go away. The only solution that I can see, unfortunately, is for Nexus to allow mod creators to charge a small amount (if they want to) for the most up to date version of their mods while requiring them to leave older versions on the site for free. I don't like it, but it solves the problem for those of us who understand someone wanting to get paid for their work, want to use the most up to date versions of these mods and don't want to break our games with the horrible Steam Workshop system.

Today we all mourn the passing of an old friend, by the name of Modding. Modding lived a long life but died from big companies greed today.

We will always remember you. Requiescat in pace.

In response to post #24571819. #24571979, #24572124, #24572239, #24572369, #24572524 are all replies on the same post.

Laxe wrote:
boulegue wrote: he wants as little as 0.82€ i cant even get a cheese burger for that price
Laxe wrote: You can't try the mod without buying and you have no insurance that it will work after 24 hours refund protection ends.

Imagine trying out hundreds of mods before you find out the ones you like, it will cost you hundreds or even more if you have to buy them. that is modding kill for me and i will just stay away from such games.

Anyways i hope that at least they stop pooping on Mod name and call it what it is - Third party DLC
boulegue wrote: isokus mod are still avaible on the nexus for you to try out as much as you want without spending money the versions on the workshop are just updated, if youre not willing to spend money then simply dont noone is forcing you to spend money....

and if you currently spend $1 you can try out every mod there is.... and $1 for 17 days is very little
SvarogNL wrote: Problem is that all the refund ends up in your Steam Wallet. While the Modders don't have to deal with that problem.
boulegue wrote: you have to spend 0,82€ once to test out all mods currently uploaded to the steam workshop.... not 17 times 0,82€ but just once the refund is basically instant and you can try another mod 2 clicks later

And what about after 17 days.
Anyway, it does not matter. I have about 200 Mods installed, even if the price per MOD is ONLY about 1 $, it would mean I would pay about 250 bucks for an acceptable Bethsoft game.
No thank you, For that kind of money I can entertain myself better.