Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24580894. #24580924, #24581044, #24581144, #24581149, #24581194 are all replies on the same post.

Varegi wrote:
coolious4 wrote: do it make valve stop there bullshit
phantompally76 wrote: There are additional paid content mods on Steam under the "Under Review" tab. Just noticed that.
micmic25 wrote: Thanks 4 posting this mate :)
Jsmorris14 wrote: http://i.imgur.com/vlrRe8x.png is this what your thinking? lol
akkalat85 wrote: LOL horse genitals for $99.00

Thanks, I think we need a good laugh right now.

that's the future lol

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24581189. #24581254, #24581444 are all replies on the same post.

darkslayer666 wrote:
akkalat85 wrote: I'm actually almost certain this has nothing to do with Bethesda. Steam is the distributor, Bethesda just developed the game. Their stance has always been to promote free content created by users. That's why they released the CK since Morrowind for free. I could be wrong, they might have dirty hands, but I think primarily we should have our crosshairs aimed at Valve/Steam.

Of course, Bethesda's original stance on promoting free user content by giving us free tools might not hold in the future. But that's neither here nor there at this point.
Lillysdad2009 wrote: Without a doubt, we were talking about the fact that modders even if they are willing to take 25%. They really can't all of the tools, and base mods like fores and SKSE really have more claim to the mods than the authors do. I feel like maybe Bethesda is just pissed off about something. I hope they are not really dumb enough to think they are helping the modding community or even themselves with this bright idea. They are absolutely not helping the authors for sure. Kudos Slayer

@akkalat85 mate you are talking about the company that was selling horse armor DLC a decade ago. Both of the instances of Valve taking profit from community creations are for free to play games, whose continued development is funded by those sales. This is a single player game that will see no further development that Bethesda already charge money for.

Both companies deserve their share of criticism but I actually feel like this is something that Bethesda have wanted to do for some time. After all, Valve are taking the same cut they do for any other transaction, Bethesda are the ones deciding to keep ~45/50% of the money.

In response to post #24581189. #24581254, #24581444, #24581514 are all replies on the same post.

darkslayer666 wrote:
akkalat85 wrote: I'm actually almost certain this has nothing to do with Bethesda. Steam is the distributor, Bethesda just developed the game. Their stance has always been to promote free content created by users. That's why they released the CK since Morrowind for free. I could be wrong, they might have dirty hands, but I think primarily we should have our crosshairs aimed at Valve/Steam.

Of course, Bethesda's original stance on promoting free user content by giving us free tools might not hold in the future. But that's neither here nor there at this point.
Lillysdad2009 wrote: Without a doubt, we were talking about the fact that modders even if they are willing to take 25%. They really can't all of the tools, and base mods like fores and SKSE really have more claim to the mods than the authors do. I feel like maybe Bethesda is just pissed off about something. I hope they are not really dumb enough to think they are helping the modding community or even themselves with this bright idea. They are absolutely not helping the authors for sure. Kudos Slayer
Aidopunko wrote: @akkalat85 mate you are talking about the company that was selling horse armor DLC a decade ago. Both of the instances of Valve taking profit from community creations are for free to play games, whose continued development is funded by those sales. This is a single player game that will see no further development that Bethesda already charge money for.

Both companies deserve their share of criticism but I actually feel like this is something that Bethesda have wanted to do for some time. After all, Valve are taking the same cut they do for any other transaction, Bethesda are the ones deciding to keep ~45/50% of the money.

Agreed that Steam is the most likely culprit here they have always IMO been really shady. But if that is the case I would hope Bethesda would make a stand, and say you know that's not what we're about here. But instead they seem to be going along with it for now. I really hope that Bethsoft comes to their senses here. If they made a stand here for what they have always been proud of. Which is the modding community, I think not only would they salvage their rep here. With the amount of attention this is going to get, maybe set a new tone for future games. I am sorry if these last posts make no sense I am exhausted and I don't even know if I am making coherent statements at this point. Kudos Akkalata

I am completely against what Valve and Bethesda are doing.

Why ?

Because most of the money that we supposedly pay goes to Bethesda and Valve, not the modders !

I am in full support of instituting a donation based system where people who would like to, who want to and who are able to donate to a mod that they think is worth it should be able to do so. That way, the modders get money directly without Bethesda or Valve getting a huge chuck of it.

A voluntary donation based system is better than forcing people to pay for mods and then taking a huge cut of that money away from the modders.