Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24590334. #24591639, #24592089, #24597839 are all replies on the same post.

Arendella wrote:
belenbelen wrote: Chesko and isoku. People dont have any clue about economics. you dont have to be a f*#@ing proffessor. its econ 101, capitalism and monopolistic market behaviour. Again, Cheske and isoku, you are a shame for this community. who wouldnt want a chance working with vakve and beth ? Lol man you both are just kids. h think you are now working with beth ? hahahah let me laugh my arse of while you try to create a real mod which doesnt include a stolencontent.
gameboytj wrote: Did the mod use FNIS? If it did, that is the reason why. The creator of FNIS doesn't allow people to use it for commercial mods, aka mods that cost money to download and use.
Not trying to be rude but yeah if it requires FNIS or another program type mod that doesn't allow commercial use then it can't be uploaded.
toggsuk wrote: It doesn't require it, but it has additional functionality that uses FNIS.

http://www.pcgamer.com/paid-for-skyrim-mod-removed-in-a-matter-of-hours/

Basically what happened was that someone alerted Fore about the mod, and asked if he endorsed it. Fore said no, and when he asked Chesko about what happened, Chesko claimed Valve said it was ok...

... annndd now the mod's gone. There are ingur links to the fiasco, I'll post them again when I'm out of work.

In response to post #24595504. #24595544, #24595689, #24595884, #24596144, #24596219 are all replies on the same post.

insaneplumber wrote:
Arendella wrote: Are you kidding me....
freedom613 wrote: I want to say it is a joke, but Cities: Skyline made a joke at the beginning of the month about Unofficial DLC and yesterday it came true...
Salzber wrote: Well f*#@...piratebay hello I'm back.
freedom613 wrote: @Salz I wouldn't talk on Nexus about digital piracy...
windu190 wrote: Wat....

"Promissory estoppel". People keep rendering this as an issue of mod developers having a right to make money off of their work. They do, this is the weaker argument, and it's not what applies here. What this is analogous to, is you giving me a book which I need as a reference to do X other things, by the methods given in the book. Those methods are the only ways that work to make use of those X other things. I invested my time based on your presentation that the book was free--now, in effect, you are blackmailing me to not be able to do those things I've invested time into unless I now pay. That is theft of my time, as nobody's time is worthless. That's the real objection here, not whether mod authors have a right to get paid. And it is why it is far more ethical to say up-front "this is $10, take it or leave it" then to have people commit their time to you under false pretenses.

In response to post #24590334. #24591639, #24592089, #24597839, #24598149 are all replies on the same post.

Arendella wrote:
belenbelen wrote: Chesko and isoku. People dont have any clue about economics. you dont have to be a f*#@ing proffessor. its econ 101, capitalism and monopolistic market behaviour. Again, Cheske and isoku, you are a shame for this community. who wouldnt want a chance working with vakve and beth ? Lol man you both are just kids. h think you are now working with beth ? hahahah let me laugh my arse of while you try to create a real mod which doesnt include a stolencontent.
gameboytj wrote: Did the mod use FNIS? If it did, that is the reason why. The creator of FNIS doesn't allow people to use it for commercial mods, aka mods that cost money to download and use.
Not trying to be rude but yeah if it requires FNIS or another program type mod that doesn't allow commercial use then it can't be uploaded.
toggsuk wrote: It doesn't require it, but it has additional functionality that uses FNIS.

http://www.pcgamer.com/paid-for-skyrim-mod-removed-in-a-matter-of-hours/
WightMage wrote: Basically what happened was that someone alerted Fore about the mod, and asked if he endorsed it. Fore said no, and when he asked Chesko about what happened, Chesko claimed Valve said it was ok...

... annndd now the mod's gone. There are ingur links to the fiasco, I'll post them again when I'm out of work.

What does monopolism have to do with the Steam Workshop? The last time I checked, it wasn't the only place to get mods for Skyrim or any other game.

In response to post #24586459. #24586589, #24587144, #24587234 are all replies on the same post.

OH72 wrote:
boulegue wrote: in the EU you have the freedom to do your own contracts... accepting the terms steam has written by buying stuff is accepting them period... youre as well protected as you choose to no more no less
fipse wrote: Steams Terms of Use are not overwriting EU or national law.
boulegue wrote: the national law for example in germany is that youre free to make your own contracts the terms dont overwrite the laws they work together the laws give you a framework to work in

You don't understand boulegue. In the EU no contract or agreement is above actual law, It doesn't matter what you agree to in a contract, rights granted by law trumps all. The onus is on Steam to comply with those laws if they want to do business in the EU. Edited by Guest

In response to post #24595504. #24595544, #24595689, #24595884, #24596144, #24596219, #24598224 are all replies on the same post.

insaneplumber wrote:
Arendella wrote: Are you kidding me....
freedom613 wrote: I want to say it is a joke, but Cities: Skyline made a joke at the beginning of the month about Unofficial DLC and yesterday it came true...
Salzber wrote: Well f*#@...piratebay hello I'm back.
freedom613 wrote: @Salz I wouldn't talk on Nexus about digital piracy...
windu190 wrote: Wat....
empiric wrote: "Promissory estoppel". People keep rendering this as an issue of mod developers having a right to make money off of their work. They do, this is the weaker argument, and it's not what applies here. What this is analogous to, is you giving me a book which I need as a reference to do X other things, by the methods given in the book. Those methods are the only ways that work to make use of those X other things. I invested my time based on your presentation that the book was free--now, in effect, you are blackmailing me to not be able to do those things I've invested time into unless I now pay. That is theft of my time, as nobody's time is worthless. That's the real objection here, not whether mod authors have a right to get paid. And it is why it is far more ethical to say up-front "this is $10, take it or leave it" then to have people commit their time to you under false pretenses.

Quote Source

So, i did a little bit of calculation of the approximate sales and profit made on the first day, so people can see how much money the content creators actually get.

These stats were made assuming everybody who subscribed to the item has paid the lowest price option available, and it does not include the price in the bundle (as it is unknown)

Gifts of Akatosh [Corvalho]
- $731.59 revenue, $100 personal profit

Shadow Scale Set [sebastian]
- $644.49 revenue, $100 personal profit

Sange Sword [T_Vidotto]
- $88.25 revenue, $0 personal profit

Yasha Sword [T_Vidotto]
- $104.00 revenue, $0 personal profit

Butterfly Sword [T_Vidotto]
- $55.75 revenue, $0 personal profit

Lambda Locator [Jimo]
- $118.09 revenue, $0 personal profit

Purity [Laast]
- $1055.47 revenue, $200 personal profit

Blazing Ringsword [Fido]
- $122.50 revenue, $0 personal profit

Scrib Crusher [Fido]
- $53.00 revenue, $0 personal profit

iNeed [isoku]
- $88.11 revenue, $0 personal profit

Wet and Cold [isoku]
- $229.68 revenue. $0 personal profit

Shezrie's Bleakden Town [shezrie]
- $344.27 revenue, $0 personal profit

Firelink Implements [Vermilion Wlad]
- $209.88 revenue, $0 personal profit

Midas Magic Gold Edition [xilverbulet]
- $615.94 revenue, $100 personal profit

The Watcher Staff [Jeremy Klein]
- $151.47 revenue, $0 personal profit

Blind Raven [RadLyte]
- $193.50 revenue, $0 personal profit

Arissa - The Wandering Rogue [Chesko]
- $499.93 revenue, $100 personal profit

Castle Volkihar Rebuilt [Arthmoor]
- $471.15 revenue, $100 personal profit

Totals
$5777.08 Total Revenue
$700 paid to 6 content creators
$744.27 content creator revenue being withheld
$1733.12 Profit for Valve
$2599.69 profit for Bethesda
Edited by insaneplumber

So my hopes for this is you can put a newer version of your mod on Workshop and i hope eventually work it's way back home here on nexus. I see a lot of mods with newer versions on Workshop and not here my hope is it eventually gets updated here as well. The nexus isn't going anywhere free mods aren't going anywhere. I'd just hate to see mods not be updated here now that they can be bought on Workshop.