Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24593024. #24593174, #24593264, #24593554, #24593789, #24593874 are all replies on the same post.

ScrollTron1c wrote:
WightMage wrote: Sadly true.
mcguffin wrote: Well, money is actually a real way to show some appreciations. It's not the only one, but still.
I dont think a lot a modders want money as a business model, but being able to buy new games, extensions (to mod them also) just by donation, is kind of cool, actually.
Georgiegril wrote: I believe people who mod are artists who are creating in a particular medium. Donating to modders is like paying a street musician--sure, you could get it for free, but if it is beautiful and/or improved your day, then the money will help encourage them to keep doing it and adds to the benefit of yourself and the community.

ScrollTron1c wrote: @ Georgiegril
Fair point about the street artist comparison.

But i don't listen to 200 of them at the same time. And wouldn't it be unfair to donate 200$ to one of them, 20$ to another, and 0$ to the rest of them?

Not to mention that i have thousands of mods downloaded in my whole Skyrim career. Some of them only took the author 5 minutes to make, while others spent definitely more time than any single Bethesda developer on their game.

This is still supposed to be an entirely creative hobby, free of monetary profit and greed (at least on the user and modder end).

PS and i apologize for the bad formatting above, i actually wrote it as a proper <list> in the forum which is extremely laggy today for some reason.
mcguffin wrote: "This is still supposed to be an entirely creative hobby, free of monetary profit and greed (at least on the user and modder end)."

mmh, that sounds like dogma.
everybody is actually not supposed to act like *you* want.

Well said. Recieving income by selling mod will not give modders more time for their family, it will not expend their life time. It will not help them to improve mod at once magically. It is only a need of money. (Of course some modders deserve some money/donation for their work, like Falskaar, but it's up to player if he will do this)
I agree with matter you mentioned about that players already paid for this mod. But not by real money. Thanks to constant players support they could improve thier mods. I know how time consuming is to test game then report bugs to deleloper, because I'm QA tester of game called Primal Carnage: Extinction.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24593024. #24593174, #24593264, #24593554, #24593789, #24593874, #24594259, #24595134 are all replies on the same post.

ScrollTron1c wrote:
WightMage wrote: Sadly true.
mcguffin wrote: Well, money is actually a real way to show some appreciations. It's not the only one, but still.
I dont think a lot a modders want money as a business model, but being able to buy new games, extensions (to mod them also) just by donation, is kind of cool, actually.
Georgiegril wrote: I believe people who mod are artists who are creating in a particular medium. Donating to modders is like paying a street musician--sure, you could get it for free, but if it is beautiful and/or improved your day, then the money will help encourage them to keep doing it and adds to the benefit of yourself and the community.

ScrollTron1c wrote: @ Georgiegril
Fair point about the street artist comparison.

But i don't listen to 200 of them at the same time. And wouldn't it be unfair to donate 200$ to one of them, 20$ to another, and 0$ to the rest of them?

Not to mention that i have thousands of mods downloaded in my whole Skyrim career. Some of them only took the author 5 minutes to make, while others spent definitely more time than any single Bethesda developer on their game.

This is still supposed to be an entirely creative hobby, free of monetary profit and greed (at least on the user and modder end).

PS and i apologize for the bad formatting above, i actually wrote it as a proper <list> in the forum which is extremely laggy today for some reason.
mcguffin wrote: "This is still supposed to be an entirely creative hobby, free of monetary profit and greed (at least on the user and modder end)."

mmh, that sounds like dogma.
everybody is actually not supposed to act like *you* want.
Kandahar wrote: Well said. Recieving income by selling mod will not give modders more time for their family, it will not expend their life time. It will not help them to improve mod at once magically. It is only a need of money. (Of course some modders deserve some money/donation for their work, like Falskaar, but it's up to player if he will do this)
I agree with matter you mentioned about that players already paid for this mod. But not by real money. Thanks to constant players support they could improve thier mods. I know how time consuming is to test game then report bugs to deleloper, because I'm QA tester of game called Primal Carnage: Extinction.
theblueshark wrote: We use to make mods to improve games. we share them to boast off skills and creative thinking. This used to be a fun hobby when did it start to be a stressful job just saying.

@mcguffin

Donation buttons exist already. Nothing wrong with that, fully agreed. Money could be a way of showing appreciation. I personally don't want it though, I don't have a donate button for that very reason. Money has no appreciative value for me personally.

The street musician comparison is also nice. This is different though, now we pay upfront to listen to the street musician. And one can ask the question, why was this mod made? I'd rather pay people out of appreciation than being forced to do so. I also rather pay those that created the mod out of their creative mind, or other emotional, fun reasons, than someone who made the mod for pocket reasons. Can you answer that question? And since when do I pay the instrument makers for the music the musician makes? Hasn't the musician paid them off already? Didn't they already pay to use the creation kit?

I know you can get your money back, but what does that say? You pay the musician upfront, and then ask back the money? Does that mean you don't enjoy the music, do not appreciate their creative talents or can't afford the money?

This kind of stuff is walking on a rope, I wouldn't risk it keeps the balance right. It's a very thin line... Edited by SjoertJansen

In response to post #24586229. #24590869, #24591439, #24591514, #24591934, #24592064, #24592304 are all replies on the same post.

Crowzer wrote:
sovs wrote: Not for long though.

Modders have already begun locking up their content to put it on steam.
Celltrex wrote: Don't forget Loverslab. Those mods will never get approved on Steam, LOL
WOL_OIF wrote: lol you forgot lovers lab
ValtielCurse wrote: What mods for example? Apart from Isokus and Cheskos?
ThisIsVegas wrote: @ValtielCurse

Here
Arendella wrote: I checked out the Blind Raven Armor. ITS NOT EVEN COMPLETED

You are paying money for a Mod thats not even completed and I bet your ass is in Vanilla Body only. Think hes gonna make one for each body type? Think again.

Paying Early Access for a Mod this is complete idiocy at its finest.

Is Valve really expecting for me to pay for a single item???? Yasha sword??? Get out pls.

In response to post #24592779. #24592899, #24593074, #24593094, #24593509, #24593979, #24594029, #24594224 are all replies on the same post.

SvarogNL wrote:
insaneplumber wrote: Thanks.
AronaxAE wrote: Will come in extremely handy, thank you c:
WightMage wrote: Brilliant mate!
EnaiSiaion wrote: Looks like the London Underground logo.

"Mind the crap"
Charismoon wrote: Using your banner on my mods - thanks!
Magnalenian wrote: thanks!
AwesomeNino wrote: Im putting this on the dragonskin mod for fnv

Thanks. Added to my mod page.

- less famous because less people who enjoy your work

- loss respect from people due to status change from modders/users relationship into producer/costumer relationship

- more responsibility toward more demanding costumer

- less people who willing to help and share their knowledge with you

- you only enjoy 25% of your hardwork and give the rest to people who did nothing

- and last, people will start pirating your mod.

is this your future, modders?

I JUST got into Skyrim. I got it as a gift and finally got time to start playing it. So the first thing I did coming to the party so late was go find some cool mods. Maybe 2 weeks ago I've been playing off and on and loving it (first game of this type I've ever played).

I was wondering how the modders could afford to spend so much personal time to create such great stuff for an "old game". My head gets why steam has added more pay mods over there. Though as a newcomer I will be honest and say I was a little bummed. This was me thinking I would be locked out of cool content because of money/time that I have/don't have.

I see creators are still offering up nice enhancements here too, so I want to thank them. And as I figure things out, I'll try to do my part to support the community/creators/website.

In response to post #24588634. #24588679, #24588759, #24588784, #24588854, #24588879, #24589019, #24589204, #24589304 are all replies on the same post.

jet4571 wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: If only SKSE, BOSS, LOOT, MO, NMM, FNIS, and all the other "instrumental" mod resources would do the same as you are.

Alas, alas, alas..
boulegue wrote: fores told cheesko to take down his fishing mod and he did,
skse posted a statement that they're okay with people relying on SKSE for paid mods so far
badiyee85 wrote: hence, alas.

if only SKSE took a firmer stance.
ScrollTron1c wrote: Interesting that Valve already registered a Nexus account back in 2012 whose only purpose was to spam pro-paid-mods comments 3 years later.
boulegue wrote: i wish valve would employ me if anyone from valve is reading this please shoot me a pm
sesom wrote: Valve loves their advertisment trolls. Same happend on the Bethesda forum as they used NV as test for steam distribution.
jet4571 wrote: If SKSE did there would be far fewer mods of quality on Steam Workshop for sale, my point is they will be getting paid for the mod and wont kick enough for a beer back and I am giving away hundreds of models for free I expect them to remain free.
boulegue wrote: i invite everyone to come visit me in berlin germany and discuss the topic in real life without the curtain of anonymity if you want to think im an valve employee and that keeps you warm at night good for you :) im stating the facts and try to refrain from being overly negative about something that had very little effect so far i can't see the future but im rather excited for it be it negative or positive

edit: @jet4571 if those are your wishes modders should respect them thats what the DMCA claim on the steam workshop is (it's a last resort your wishes should be respected without that)

Those are my wishes, and trying to be a tough guy makes you look silly. We have all seen the "Come to my place and I'll show you!" tough guys on the internet and we all feel their bravado is a poor joke.

Anyway, enjoy your devils advocate.