Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made a few mods, and personally I think this is a bad idea. A very bad idea. I had three mods running on Steam where the author decided to be paid for the use of those mods, and unknown to me, they were un-subscribed from my list and I no longer have access to them. Bad news, bad idea.

What will an author do if they start charging for their mod on Steam, and it is also on Nexus?? Will they pull their mod from Nexus so that it is only available on Steam where one has to pay for it?? That will make people angry, to suddenly discover that a mod they have been using on Nexus has been pulled. Imagine having a house mod, full of all your plunder that you worked so hard to get, and suddenly you have no house and you have no plunder. Would you be angry?? I know I would.

I personally thing this is a very bad move on the part of Steam and as far as the couple of mods that I have made, that are currently running on Steam, they are free and will always be free.

This is the greatest modding community in history...by making it pay it will kill the thing that made it great.

Collaboration.

Spore was the most TOXIC modding community in history. People flagging others work because it was "similar"...The Sims 2, outside of the great Mod the Sims site was a terrible place, there were even lawsuits by modders against each other.

Do we really want this?

Add an easy way to DONATE here and allow for virtually any size donation, steal everyone from Steam Workshop and show the industry that our community is stronger than their greed.

In response to post #24595404. #24596639, #24602064, #24602944 are all replies on the same post.

1SHOT2KILL wrote:
joe1st wrote: hahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahaha yessss
Nimboss wrote: +1
ROFL
1SHOT2KILL wrote: Edit: Never mind this

I will upload your image to 9gag, I think it has to spread.

EDIT : http://9gag.com/gag/am0dNA6
Don't know how to give proper credit though. Edited by Milleuros

In response to post #24595404. #24596639, #24602064, #24602709, #24603434 are all replies on the same post.

1SHOT2KILL wrote:
ROFL
Milleuros wrote: I will upload your image to 9gag, I think it has to spread.

Don't know how to give proper credit though.
raupao wrote: LMAO

Edit no. 2: Thanks! Edited by 1SHOT2KILL

In response to post #24602184.

ashleyclark wrote:

It sounds like a great idea and wonderful time for your mod.

but if everyone thought this way, and mods like falskarr costs $15...and there were 100 of these mods... that's untenable. And would only open a black market, and everything that comes along with that, viruses, shadiness, people selling your stuff becomes even more prominent, etc,etc.

On a selfish level, its great, it might actually propel the mods to a new level. On a realistic level, it would never happen like that. in fact, i would suspect bethesda losing money on sells if that were the case.

In response to post #24595404. #24596639, #24602064, #24602709, #24602944 are all replies on the same post.

1SHOT2KILL wrote:
ROFL
Milleuros wrote: I will upload your image to 9gag, I think it has to spread.

Don't know how to give proper credit though.
1SHOT2KILL wrote: Edit: Never mind this

LMAO

In response to post #24594599. #24595064, #24597874, #24598129, #24598509, #24600934, #24601064 are all replies on the same post.

Ehwhat2008 wrote:
SkeletonShen wrote: I agree.
Calu93 wrote: Me too
Quloide wrote: Aye
Alienfriend wrote: I agree too
onkenoke wrote: and my axe!

oh wait wrong speech sorry
Milleuros wrote: Agree.

Nexus is proving that they have the ethics of modding in their heart and that they have immense respect for the authors. They deserve that bit of money.

Also agree, just disabled adblocker on nexus Edited by darksunshaman