Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24571929. #24572044, #24572064, #24572299, #24573824 are all replies on the same post.

swiftfoxmark2 wrote:
boulegue wrote: bethesda decided to legalize it
Azarakos wrote: Valve and Bethesda get 75% of the mod income, the modder himself/herself get 25%. More money to the companies.

Welcome to capitalism, brother.
boulegue wrote: a musician gets much less for their music, a developer gets much less for their work on the game, a writer gets much less for their books.....

valve is being very generous in that department
swiftfoxmark2 wrote: Yes, I know that. But I'm referring to the Nexus policy.

the nexus is probably not able to give bethesda a share or bethesda is simply not interested in it and partnered with valve

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24573144. #24573319 is also a reply to the same post.

Silki08 wrote:
danjal wrote: Here's a thought though.
Okay, so we determine that they deserve to be paid for their work.
We leave in the middle how much a mod is worth (as that would be hard to determine without specifics about each mod).

Now comes the next step.
As a fresh entrepreneur and software developer - what are your responsibilities towards your product now that you are actually making money off of it?
What are the responsibilities for Steam/Valve as distributor of this software?
What about those assets you've "borrowed" (with permission) from another modmaker - do they deserve a cut?
Does their permission which you got before choosing to sell your mod still count or should you ask whether they are okay with you profiting off of their assets?

There is a LOT more to this than just " does a mod maker deserve to be paid for his or her work? "

And I definitely agree... 25/75 split distribution isn't even remotely fair. Especially when you consider Valves trackrecord of customer support through Steam Early Access where the goto response is: "You have to be with the content creator for that."

I agree with you and this paid mod service introduces a myriad of issues that is a legal storm of nightmares. It seems that the real problem is with Steam/Valve itself. It seems they just want to leech off the creativity of others at such a demanding rate all in the name of greed. Edited by Silki08

I saw this coming, and like many of you, have some pretty mixed feelings about this, but I would like to thank Dark0ne/Robin for taking the classy route and trying to keep the community safe for everyone, even those few mod authors trying to sell their mods through SW.

However, from what I see, the current payment system on Steam is unacceptable, especially given that mod authors, much like aspiring novelists, are unlikely to see much if any profit from it. There are still too many problems with the system, such as the refund policy- for enormous, game altering mods such as Falskaar, is 24 hours really enough to get it to work on your playthrough? Some.of us spend entire days just getting a modified game to not crash, or at least run continously for more than an hour.

And then there's the fact that at least with donations, you would get all or most of the money. Not just 25%.

The backlash is incredible- and I hope that the hit to certain people's reputation is worth it in the end.

As a shout out, I think of all the mod authors currently listed on SW, Chesko/Griefmyst should be given the most props- they're at least trying to find a compromise to this situation: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s53/sh/3c4f3e29-9b4e-41cf-9a72-1b3ed9f70c62/c727dccbb3398aebb5946afac7faaaea

For what it's worth, I still look forward to your future releases, and I thank you for reiterating that your Nexus fans are still important to you. I unfortunately will not be purchasing your upcoming update to Arissa through Steam, for the above reasons and others. However, I also was not aware AT ALL that you had a donation option, much less that you are in financial straits- I would gladly donate to your cause via Nexus now that I am aware of it- especially after the succeasful update.

Peace, fellow modders.

In response to post #24571614. #24572234, #24572374, #24572469, #24572589, #24572669, #24572829, #24572854, #24572864, #24572984, #24572994, #24573004, #24573029, #24573229, #24573324, #24573399, #24573439, #24573784 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:
speash wrote: Signed
ShwayNorris wrote: Signed
Kerros wrote: Signed, thank you for the link
zzjay wrote: Will do tomorrow..cant open from phone :(.

I doubt it'll help...we can simply not buy em.
groupthinker1984 wrote: Way too soon for this kind of knee jerk reaction.

I agree that this COULD be absolutely disastrous. Or it could be wonderful. Or somehow both at the same time.
MrSpanky wrote: signed. passed the 7500 mark
Rigmor wrote: Signed
Ultrametal wrote: This means nothing to Valve, they just gonna discourage people from making mods, since anyone can steal the idea and sell it with a different color.
softail4life wrote: Signed...thank you
Mindprobe24 wrote: Signed (8305)
shaithlis wrote: Signed
jradik wrote: signed
popcorn71 wrote: Sites not loading. Too many people trying to sing?
BFNord wrote: and signed. and forwarded the link to a few others. f*#@ that noise.
StackEmHigh wrote: Signed.
akkalat85 wrote: Signing...
popcorn71 wrote: Signed.

Frankly, I'm not deadset against paid mods.

What I would demand is that Valve gets its ass in gear and does some quality control/assurance...
Not to mention, if I'd pay for a mod, then I would want the mod to work - which means that Steam Workshop needs to start providing adequate tools and support there aswell.

Untill such a time as that starts happening - they do not deserve this financial split.

I am the author of 4 mods in the TRUE SERIES. My Mods will always be free. I hope all mod authors agree. This is wrong.

More importantly, I am a paying customer of these games which are not cheap to begin with. This nickel and dime mentality needs to stop.

This is NOT intended for the Mod Authors who invest their time, as the 25% insult clearly demonstrates. It's greed by the people who already have enough.

Shame!

Whether our modding folks decide to keep their mods free or charge for them, it's their place to decide what methods best reimburse them for their time and efforts. How can I begrudge them their choice, whatever it might be? After all, I wouldn't have any mods at all, if they didn't make them, and it's not as if I contributed to the efforts to make the mods I've enjoyed so much.

It didn't cost me mind-numbing hours of my time, working around the idiosyncrasies of Papyrus or dealing with the game's sometimes illogical approach to things. I didn't spend a minute of my free-time perfecting a substandard asset to make it beautiful. I didn't put my family time, work time, or school time on hold in order to wade through render after render in Blender just to make the game shine or create a new world for my fellow gamers to discover. I may have missed some sleep playing all night, enjoying their mods, but I haven't stayed up all night to finish a tutorial or put together a helpful utility or resource that makes gameplay more awesome.

I appreciate each and every member of our modding community with all my heart. No matter what you decide to do, you are my fellow players whose mods have given me hours of fun. I hope you don't get discouraged and stop modding. That really would put an end to modding. And above all else, I know I'm not alone when I say it means the world to me that you have devoted hours of time, creativity and skill to make a game I love more beautiful and exciting.

In response to post #24573544. #24573644, #24573679, #24573694 are all replies on the same post.

guiaugu132 wrote:
boulegue wrote: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34147/?
you mean this mod?
rkelly wrote: NOOOO!!!
guiaugu132 wrote: Nope , i mean THIS (Skyforge Weapons) http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36815/? and THIS (Skyforge Shields) http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26344/?

now i see them on the workshop didnt see the under review button.... good for him if it sells but i doubt weapon/armor mods will sell all to well

In response to post #24573544. #24573644, #24573679, #24573694, #24573984 are all replies on the same post.

guiaugu132 wrote:
boulegue wrote: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34147/?
you mean this mod?
rkelly wrote: NOOOO!!!
guiaugu132 wrote: Nope , i mean THIS (Skyforge Weapons) http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36815/? and THIS (Skyforge Shields) http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26344/?
boulegue wrote: now i see them on the workshop didnt see the under review button.... good for him if it sells but i doubt weapon/armor mods will sell all to well

And so it begins..... now that is childish... Nexus made them what they are, kinda like how the WWE gave wrestlers the exposure and then they ran to WCW for the money, just to crawl back and beg forgiveness when the money ran out...