Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24568344. #24568714, #24568839, #24569039, #24571114 are all replies on the same post.

taleden wrote:
AmeerMahmood wrote: Hasn't that already happened to Arissa and wet and cold though? Both mods just being updates.
taleden wrote: That's exactly what prompted the question. :)
Aedred wrote: I hadn't seen this before taleden.

An update for a mod is basically something that has additional content, whether it's adding a new color to an object, or a new word, anything that wasn't previously there. This rule you're posting applies to fixing stuff in a mod as well, you're basically providing additional support when you fix things in a mod you're hosting.

Providing no support would pretty much mean leaving the mod open for everyone else to fix without the author's help or answer questions about the mod after releasing the update.

Technically speaking I'd say yes, this does apply to that.
terzaerian wrote: Hello, I made the FCO mod. Just going to make it clear here and now: I will never charge for my mods through Steam workshop. If anything this entire fiasco is only incentivizing me pulling out of Steam workshop entirely; it's absolutely appalling.

@Aedred that paragraph comes from the user profile page on the Nexus, in the spot where you can optionally enable the donation button on your own mod pages.

On the one hand, releasing updates only on the workshop and demanding payment for them does seem to violate that Nexus policy. On the other hand, it's a bit iffy for the Nexus to enforce policies about behavior on other sites, and there's certainly an argument for at least preserving access to the old versions for people who aren't willing to pay for the new versions.

But I wonder if the Nexus will have to loosen their policy about promoting donations in light of this situation.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like it was said ebfore, SKSE should lisence their stuff to prevent people in curated workships from using it, and those who have get DMCA'd up their ass. We should also urge the people from BOSS or LOOT to throw in their support by not integrating the paid mods in their masterlists and such, thereofre easily disrupting this stupid idea of curated workshops.

In response to post #24572569. #24572664, #24572779, #24573134, #24573299, #24573349, #24573499, #24573674, #24573719, #24574234 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote:
IgnacyOrder wrote: Im sure I wont be releasing my mod any more. I jsut keep it for myself because I dotn want someone now to steal it and make money for nothing. Or the fact I did use some stuff from modderss recources. Some people now may force me to pay for reeasing mod even thou its free. Makes me criminal then. I guess many modders wont want that problem

Youtuber mod showcases will die as well as it will be expensive hobby now
boulegue wrote: authors just like publishers will send their mods to reviewers for free so they get exposure
zzjay wrote: Lol you're right...i will never sell a mod...too many problems...of they close free modding ill jusy quit.

Modding is an hobby...not a job...if bethesda cant make thir own games pretty i dont see why to buy em at all...if i even have to pay for mods...mods are like essential for skyrim...without its worthless...
phantompally76 wrote: The question is how many of the irate modders out there tonight who are unendorsing chesko and isako's mods out of spite (which I don't condone, but totally understand) will in turn unsubscribe from Brodual, Gopher, and all the other popular mod reviewers that they perceive as being advocates for charging a fee for untested alpha content? So far I've only seen a reaction by Gopher, who was being diplomatically cautious about the whole thing.

I fear (and I really do hope I'm wrong) that this will also have an adverse affect on the Youtube modding reviews community. I'm not sure how many reviewers will risk losing subscribers, traffic and revenue by reviewing paid mods. Only time will tell.
boulegue wrote: zzjay you have made some great mods most of which are well up there in the 100,000 downloads so theres no disputing youre a great modder

but why do you want to take away others freedom to sell their hard work, if you dont want to sell yours thats fine and many think the same as you.... but if isoku and cheesko who are also great modders what to make money of off it why wouldnt you let them? noone is taking away our free mods valve and bethesda just gave us the option to monetize the work people put into their mods
rkelly wrote: my question is if mods go paid for than wont they become targets for pirates? in other words wouldn't this make mod piracy becoming a actual thing?
danjal wrote: Just look at the pricing alone.

Wet and Cold apparently set its price at $4,99
If I'm looking at Skyrim as a base game and its DLC.
We're seeing $20~40 for basegame/DLC or Legendary Edition.

So what would Wet and Cold be worth compared to the base game when the base game goes on sale as low as $14 on sale (And thats the Legendary Edition)?
What about a mod like Falskaar? Is Falskaar worth the same as Dragonborn/Dawnguard due to its size? Is it worth less because of some quality concerns? (Its good, but you notice its a mod nonetheless.)

What about something like SkyWind or Luftahraan that is worked on by a larger team?
How do you determine value for that?

What about mods that rely on assets from other mod makers?
What about customer support, who is responsible?
boulegue wrote: the price goes from $1-$99 you choose how much you pay for wet&cold $5 is just the recommended price
marthgun wrote: everyone involved in this should not be allowed to have mods on the nexus, this is just free advertisement for their treason.

its one thing to shill for shekels here if you're hurting for cash, but there is no protection on steam. Kids will be buying mods that break their game and then flooding steam with 'boohoos' when they keep crashing. They'll have to come here or elsewhere for their tools and that is just not fair.

Such a sad state of affairs.

how is anyone betraying you? kids are already flooding this article and the steamworkshop with cries

In response to post #24571929. #24572044, #24572064, #24572299, #24573824, #24573909, #24574109, #24574289, #24574414 are all replies on the same post.

swiftfoxmark2 wrote:
boulegue wrote: bethesda decided to legalize it
Azarakos wrote: Valve and Bethesda get 75% of the mod income, the modder himself/herself get 25%. More money to the companies.

Welcome to capitalism, brother.
boulegue wrote: a musician gets much less for their music, a developer gets much less for their work on the game, a writer gets much less for their books.....

valve is being very generous in that department
swiftfoxmark2 wrote: Yes, I know that. But I'm referring to the Nexus policy.
boulegue wrote: the nexus is probably not able to give bethesda a share or bethesda is simply not interested in it and partnered with valve
WightMage wrote: And this why self publishing books and indie record labels are all the rage now. So too should it be with mods, IMO.
boulegue wrote: in the top 15 combined print & e-book fiction bestseller list of march 2015 all are published by established publishers to lazy to look up the music charts but i could bet its similar.... selfpublished and indie labels remain a minority because they cant afford the advertising big publishers can.... just as with games.... theres a few exceptions like minecraft but even that has now a big publisher behind it now
Reaper0021 wrote: This statement is 100% wrong. I work in the "Entertainment Industry" in the 'literature' side of things. Author's don't "Get" less for their books in that capacity. Nor is it "Much Less". You claim to work in the 'industry' and if so cool. But please don't step where you have no knowledge.

the industry standart for royalties for books is 10% correct?

In response to post #24571929. #24572044, #24572064, #24572299, #24573824, #24573909, #24574109, #24574289, #24574414, #24574694 are all replies on the same post.

swiftfoxmark2 wrote:
boulegue wrote: bethesda decided to legalize it
Azarakos wrote: Valve and Bethesda get 75% of the mod income, the modder himself/herself get 25%. More money to the companies.

Welcome to capitalism, brother.
boulegue wrote: a musician gets much less for their music, a developer gets much less for their work on the game, a writer gets much less for their books.....

valve is being very generous in that department
swiftfoxmark2 wrote: Yes, I know that. But I'm referring to the Nexus policy.
boulegue wrote: the nexus is probably not able to give bethesda a share or bethesda is simply not interested in it and partnered with valve
WightMage wrote: And this why self publishing books and indie record labels are all the rage now. So too should it be with mods, IMO.
boulegue wrote: in the top 15 combined print & e-book fiction bestseller list of march 2015 all are published by established publishers to lazy to look up the music charts but i could bet its similar.... selfpublished and indie labels remain a minority because they cant afford the advertising big publishers can.... just as with games.... theres a few exceptions like minecraft but even that has now a big publisher behind it now
Reaper0021 wrote: This statement is 100% wrong. I work in the "Entertainment Industry" in the 'literature' side of things. Author's don't "Get" less for their books in that capacity. Nor is it "Much Less". You claim to work in the 'industry' and if so cool. But please don't step where you have no knowledge.
boulegue wrote: the industry standart for royalties for books is 10% correct?

Wrong. Dependent on several factors but not limited to: Authors previous works, legal, notoriety, part of a series/contractual, etc. Too many things to list. No, 10% is not even worth the ink.

In response to post #24572569. #24572664, #24572779, #24573134, #24573299, #24573349, #24573499, #24573674, #24573719, #24574234, #24574579 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote:
IgnacyOrder wrote: Im sure I wont be releasing my mod any more. I jsut keep it for myself because I dotn want someone now to steal it and make money for nothing. Or the fact I did use some stuff from modderss recources. Some people now may force me to pay for reeasing mod even thou its free. Makes me criminal then. I guess many modders wont want that problem

Youtuber mod showcases will die as well as it will be expensive hobby now
boulegue wrote: authors just like publishers will send their mods to reviewers for free so they get exposure
zzjay wrote: Lol you're right...i will never sell a mod...too many problems...of they close free modding ill jusy quit.

Modding is an hobby...not a job...if bethesda cant make thir own games pretty i dont see why to buy em at all...if i even have to pay for mods...mods are like essential for skyrim...without its worthless...
phantompally76 wrote: The question is how many of the irate modders out there tonight who are unendorsing chesko and isako's mods out of spite (which I don't condone, but totally understand) will in turn unsubscribe from Brodual, Gopher, and all the other popular mod reviewers that they perceive as being advocates for charging a fee for untested alpha content? So far I've only seen a reaction by Gopher, who was being diplomatically cautious about the whole thing.

I fear (and I really do hope I'm wrong) that this will also have an adverse affect on the Youtube modding reviews community. I'm not sure how many reviewers will risk losing subscribers, traffic and revenue by reviewing paid mods. Only time will tell.
boulegue wrote: zzjay you have made some great mods most of which are well up there in the 100,000 downloads so theres no disputing youre a great modder

but why do you want to take away others freedom to sell their hard work, if you dont want to sell yours thats fine and many think the same as you.... but if isoku and cheesko who are also great modders what to make money of off it why wouldnt you let them? noone is taking away our free mods valve and bethesda just gave us the option to monetize the work people put into their mods
rkelly wrote: my question is if mods go paid for than wont they become targets for pirates? in other words wouldn't this make mod piracy becoming a actual thing?
danjal wrote: Just look at the pricing alone.

Wet and Cold apparently set its price at $4,99
If I'm looking at Skyrim as a base game and its DLC.
We're seeing $20~40 for basegame/DLC or Legendary Edition.

So what would Wet and Cold be worth compared to the base game when the base game goes on sale as low as $14 on sale (And thats the Legendary Edition)?
What about a mod like Falskaar? Is Falskaar worth the same as Dragonborn/Dawnguard due to its size? Is it worth less because of some quality concerns? (Its good, but you notice its a mod nonetheless.)

What about something like SkyWind or Luftahraan that is worked on by a larger team?
How do you determine value for that?

What about mods that rely on assets from other mod makers?
What about customer support, who is responsible?
boulegue wrote: the price goes from $1-$99 you choose how much you pay for wet&cold $5 is just the recommended price
marthgun wrote: everyone involved in this should not be allowed to have mods on the nexus, this is just free advertisement for their treason.

its one thing to shill for shekels here if you're hurting for cash, but there is no protection on steam. Kids will be buying mods that break their game and then flooding steam with 'boohoos' when they keep crashing. They'll have to come here or elsewhere for their tools and that is just not fair.

Such a sad state of affairs.
boulegue wrote: how is anyone betraying you? kids are already flooding this article and the steamworkshop with cries

boulegue, exactly how much is Valve paying you to play the devil's advocate on here tonight?

I mean, I can understand both sides of the argument, to a point....but your replies consistently (and suspiciously) smack of self-service.

In light of that, and what it could mean for our servers here, I've decided to cancel a long-weekend holiday I've had booked for the past 4 months with 30 other people, a reunion type thing, in Spain.

You'll miss a definitive and unique event for a potential and recurring event. Take your vacation.