Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24571929. #24572044, #24572064, #24572299, #24573824, #24573909, #24574109, #24574289, #24574414, #24574694, #24574724, #24574819, #24574964 are all replies on the same post.

swiftfoxmark2 wrote:
boulegue wrote: bethesda decided to legalize it
Azarakos wrote: Valve and Bethesda get 75% of the mod income, the modder himself/herself get 25%. More money to the companies.

Welcome to capitalism, brother.
boulegue wrote: a musician gets much less for their music, a developer gets much less for their work on the game, a writer gets much less for their books.....

valve is being very generous in that department
swiftfoxmark2 wrote: Yes, I know that. But I'm referring to the Nexus policy.
boulegue wrote: the nexus is probably not able to give bethesda a share or bethesda is simply not interested in it and partnered with valve
WightMage wrote: And this why self publishing books and indie record labels are all the rage now. So too should it be with mods, IMO.
boulegue wrote: in the top 15 combined print & e-book fiction bestseller list of march 2015 all are published by established publishers to lazy to look up the music charts but i could bet its similar.... selfpublished and indie labels remain a minority because they cant afford the advertising big publishers can.... just as with games.... theres a few exceptions like minecraft but even that has now a big publisher behind it now
Reaper0021 wrote: This statement is 100% wrong. I work in the "Entertainment Industry" in the 'literature' side of things. Author's don't "Get" less for their books in that capacity. Nor is it "Much Less". You claim to work in the 'industry' and if so cool. But please don't step where you have no knowledge.
boulegue wrote: the industry standart for royalties for books is 10% correct?
Reaper0021 wrote: Wrong. Dependent on several factors but not limited to: Authors previous works, legal, notoriety, part of a series/contractual, etc. Too many things to list. No, 10% is not even worth the ink.
Reaper0021 wrote: Writers i.e. Script Writers might get away with that. Think someone like "S. King, R.A. Salvatore or numerous other well known authors would settle for that? No. The amount fluctuates and is dependent on many factors.
boulegue wrote: okay none of our modders here no matter how good they are are world renown they are literally starting the business today

Very true. But your statement is still wrong. You've gone from 21 posts today to your current 87. Obviously this is a subject you care about. So, let me just say this once more for your own benefit: I'm NOT against modder's making money. Hell, Bethesda should have paid some of these people out of their own pockets months ago for taking their game and breathing a whole new life into it. I'm looking at/worried about the bigger picture. I'm just that way....far thinking. What I'm afraid of is this will add fire to the current trend of "Pay to Win". An example for you: The Total War Games. Rome II, Attila....all of them have factions. Many in fact. What CA/SEGA does is cuts out the blood, gore, factions, etc. and offers them up as "DLC". Pricey in the long run. This trend needs to stop. Edited by Reaper0021

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24571814. #24571869, #24571909, #24572144, #24572409, #24573479, #24573564, #24575199 are all replies on the same post.

Marco9625 wrote:
Laxe wrote: It is just beginning, when more third parties come into play, theres IRS and European vat etc. this will turn into Just another Music industry where if you buy 20$ CD the artists doesn't even get full one dollar bill.
boulegue wrote: valve provides the platform and bethesda created the game and the CK/G.E.C.K to even make modding in the manner we know it today possible.... if you think people at valve and bethesda aren't working hard for their money you never seen any game developer office ever.... 70week hours are no strangers in those offices.... 25% is a rather generous cut compared to other industries (music, books, newspapers, tv........)
Marco9625 wrote: The GECK/CK haven't been touched for years. It doesn't warrant Bethesda a reward. The monetary cost of maintaining Steam is rock bottom low so it doesn't warrant Valve such a high amount. This is a raw deal for modders who are doing the real work. I implore modders everywhere to give the Steam Workshop the cold shoulder here on out, its starting to become bad for consumers and modders alike. And I agree with Laxe fully.
boulegue wrote: both valve and bethesda have a lot of developers that needs to be paid, the CK just got an update (maybe just to ease the upload to steam but w/e)
youre free to buy or not buy the mods on the workshop as mod authors are free to charge or put them up for free now the cost of maintaining steam is in the millions every month just to maintain steam... valve consists of more then just steam
shaithlis wrote: No disrespect intended Boulegue, but is valve paying you to come here and totally defend them, almost every post has you defending them. Just curious
boulegue wrote: 90% of the people posting here have not read anything not even the FAQ linked in darkones article.... im just trying to be realistic rather then cry out of fear that tomorrow the world might end.... i survived soooo many world ending events i learned how to handle them
Teria23 wrote:
boulegue 0 kudos 83 posts
valve provides the platform and bethesda created the game and the CK/G.E.C.K to even make modding in the manner we know it today possible.... if you think people at valve and bethesda aren't working hard for their money you never seen any game developer office ever.... 70week hours are no strangers in those offices.... 25% is a rather generous cut compared to other industries (music, books, newspapers, tv........)

The fact that artists all over the world are being paid less than nothing for their work does not justify yet another industry to jump in on the practise. Bethesda was paid for their work when we bought the game. Why should we pay them AGAIN?

thats the beauty.... you dont have to if you dont want to

In response to post #24574754.

setiweb wrote:

Agreed, but I can see a ton of mods getting removed my authors that are leaving and thousands of mods being downloaded before that happens....

Still I don't consider this to be such a mass-extinction event that a person must alter their life's plan(s) over. We'll survive and Robin deserves his time off.

In response to post #24572719. #24572849, #24573089, #24573569, #24573724, #24573869, #24574054, #24574099, #24574119, #24574194, #24574389 are all replies on the same post.

doomdoging wrote:
phellen wrote: second this.
shaithlis wrote: Now that is not a bad idea.
phellen wrote:
nathanj wrote: Fiftheded.
danjal wrote: Advertising, or even a subscription system through a platform that works directly with the mod creators or even in a joint venture with Bethesda would be far superior.
And probably provide superior customer support aswell.

Just ask anyone who has ever had problems with Steam Early Access on how good Valve is at providing support...
Silki08 wrote: This makes sense.
Mindprobe24 wrote: second this!
rkelly wrote: this is a better idea
Krazeecain wrote: It wouldn't even be a few cents per download. More like 1/30th of a cent per download.
phellen wrote: It wouldn't be based on downloads, but on page views and subscriptions.

This is a nice idea

While I do believe that mod authors should get more for their time and energy, this was the completely wrong way to go about it.

All of my mods on Skyrim Nexus will remain free and will not be pulled in favor of Steam.

This program finally creates an opportunity for mod makers to get some compensation for their efforts, which is a good thing.

I'm working towards becoming a self-employed independent game developer, but it's incredibly hard to create satisfying, complete content while also working a full-time job. I don't want to shovel out crappy mobile games, but that was starting to seem like the only way for me to get my foot in the door. This new program is an opportunity for me and many others to create smaller, higher quality content and still receive compensation, maybe even to make a living on it.

I've always wanted to make some sweet mods for oblivion, and now skyrim, but I tried to invest all my creative energy into full game development instead, since I couldn't monetize mods. If you feel that I'm greedy for this, I'm sorry. But my time is valuable, and I hate my current job. I desire nothing more than to quit my job and develop game content instead.

I hope some people can see it through my perspective. The system could be better, Valve could be paying more, but it's better than nothing in my opinion. This will hopefully encourage game developers to add more support for modding. It was recently reported somewhere that GTA 5 took every measure to PREVENT modding. A program like this can change that.

I don't support Valves capitalistic monopoly of trying to undercut competition like this.

While I support the idea of mod creators getting paid for their work - especially some of the more quality pieces - the abrupt change and the number of caveats that can ultimately sink this are too vast, and Steam's method of quality control of it's store front definitely won't try to regulate these problems.

I'm whitelisting Nexus on my adblock and will subscribe as a premium member to show my support for the Nexus. While I rarely use the site much any more (except this past week), I still support the Nexus and the many great modders who contribute to it.

Thank you Nexus! Now would be a good time to figure out how to get back your audience from Steam.

It is now pretty obvious why Bethesda and Valve are making this. Fallout 4 is on the way. It is a fact now. And will have this pay to play mods feature from the start. Why will they implement this for Skyrim so late. I mean, they could have easily made this when the modding for the game was on its peak. Why now? For Fallout 4 obviously. Mark my words.

In response to post #24574214. #24574274, #24575204 are all replies on the same post.

nathanj wrote:
marthgun wrote: lol sure he will.

hey guise pay for it nao it will be FREE laterz kek.

if that happens even once i'll be surprised.
Gribbleshnibit8 wrote: Wouldn't it make more sense to charge for the complete non-buggy version instead?

So he is charging for bugged out junk content? Right, that was his mater plan all along.

He is just like the rest, he is just using his words to cleverly disguise it.