Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abhorrent. Shame on all who signed up for this.

Modding community is based on collaboration - in skills, knowledge and assets.

Will never pay or charge a penny for a mod.

I don't even care about Valves cut or how badly this has been implemented - it's the sheer principal of it. The very theory of paid modding is disgusting, never mind how it's been put into practice. That's irrelevant.

I wave the warning - shame on all modders who signed up for this, the community has rejected you, you are done.

In response to post #24576539. #24576709, #24576894, #24577109, #24577169, #24577289, #24577459, #24577809 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
fgambler wrote: The problem is other people stealing their work. Take custom textures as example. Modders that make standalone followers hardly use vanilla textures or make their own.
XenocideAgain wrote: And? When you release a free product like this it is to be expected. You will mostly get a bunch of crap copies that don't do anything but occasionally there might be that one that improves on want one started. If you don't want people to copy your work don't share it, that simple. People will ALWAYS copy others no stopping it. Its good to see that people are taking a stand.
WightMage wrote: This is true. In this day and age, it is damn near impossible to stop people from copying your work. Is it unethical? Yes- but unless you find creative ways to stop it that can't be easily circumvented (certain DRM, or scripts that fire upon detecting a bootleg copy which renders the game unplayable) your only other options are to make use of the pirating as free marketing and hope more people buy your stuff (has been done before), or to not release it.

It is as much a reality in today's world as dying is, and it won't change short of a worldwide disaster that obliterates the internet. And even then, people are still going to see you make something, and copy it.
fgambler wrote: Sure it's expected, and it's also the reason it might kill free and good modding.
WightMage wrote: Why would it kill free and good modding anymore now than before? It's not like people didn't pirate prior to the changes made today.

Not too long ago there was a shitstorm regarding the rightful creators of a Fate/Stay Night mod, for instance...
fgambler wrote: The absolute majority of the modders just ask for permission to use their assets as long as it's distributed freely.

Things change drastically when money is involved.
WightMage wrote: This is true. I see where you're coming from now.

Pirating mods... that is the saddest thing I've ever heard. Thanks Valve, you just introduced millions of new pirates.

In response to post #24577154. #24577384, #24577424, #24577509, #24577664, #24577849 are all replies on the same post.

willow123 wrote:
knightspk2 wrote: People are charging for SKSE mods, so I guess not...
popcorn71 wrote: Nope. As far as I understand you can literally do whatever you want with SKSE.
Here is a link to the MIT License SKSE is released under.

http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
willow123 wrote: wait that new and i need to update my SKSE
willow123 wrote: also if steam does this to garry mod then am done
WightMage wrote: I think trying to sell paid mods for Garry's Mod would cause Gaben to die from a heart attack.

I mean, seriously. As far as copyright infringement goes, Skyrim has nothing on GM.

Valve has no reason to stop with Skyrim. They're probably preparing Garry's Mod as we speak!

In response to post #24575764. #24575884, #24576014, #24576019, #24576029, #24576179, #24576534, #24577229 are all replies on the same post.

dinofinder wrote:
CaedesAposis wrote: So what prevented you from using the donate button on this website previously? Hmmm?
Explosive196 wrote: Then feel free to donate to the author. Nobody should be forced to pay for a mod.
freedom613 wrote: I must agree with Caedes. We as a community share the same amount of blame as Valve and Bethesda. If we donated more often, then the modders would not risk being ostracised by the community and would keep their mods free.
Reaper0021 wrote: Seriously there has been a "donate" button here for ages. I've given. You set yourself up for that question.
belenbelen wrote: ignorance at its best. you know how to mod skyrim in the most complicated ways but not heard of donate button? i hate humans.
dinofinder wrote: Well to be honest before I didn't have a job to be able to afford to (Still am living at home with the family), and I hadn't really given much thought into it after I recently just finally got one, guess I haven't endorsed much either like I should have been, there are tons of great mods here on the nexus that deserve to be.

edit: I know, I pretty much failed on the donate button front and I've always seen it.
marthgun wrote: so you're saying you aren't going to pay, but want other people to?

in theory, this isn't a bad idea. In theory, marxism isn't a bad idea.

How many proverbial dead bodies are going to need be piled up before we decide it wasn't so great?

And at that point, is there any way to go backwards once pandora's box is open? The mad wizard has the key to the box, lets kill him before he sticks it in. Then we can have a conversation about how to proceed with mod authors getting paid. .25 cents for an armor mod is everything wrong with this model.

@ marthgun - I'm not saying that I'm not going to donate, in fact I didn't even say that others should while I have not yet. What I was trying to say is that despite the whole Valve thing going on. I support the decisions that the people who are creating the mods are making because I do appreciate what they have been doing for us thus far. Even if my actions here are not showing it, I do appreciate the hard work they have done. If I didn't, then what point would there in me being here at this website right now trying to argue as such? Or even in downloading their mods and enjoying the game even more so because of them?

In response to post #24576794. #24576869, #24577274, #24577549 are all replies on the same post.

Kevlar39 wrote:
freedom613 wrote: Bethesda is testing the waters. If this backfires, then they will quietly drop this in their next game. If it makes money, then you will see them continue to expand their reach until it backfires. So this is not to create more revenue to fund Fallout 4, but to see if this model could work on Fallout 4.

Hence why it is imperative to kill this before it begins.

Edit: My post no longer makes sense now that you changed what your post was stating.

Edit 2: Well you lot seem to think my post make sense, so I decided to edit it slightly. Looked a bit odd without the edit since I was answering a statement instead of a question.
Kevlar39 wrote: My edited post makes more sense than the original. :)
Reaper0021 wrote: Your post still makes sense even without his original as it still talks about what I'm worried about. Keep the post AS IS.

Its still there. Look back a page.