ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24599274. #24599654, #24599739, #24599814, #24599859, #24600179 are all replies on the same post.

PickleJar wrote:
Jawsuleashed wrote: If you read carefully, a lot of comments are "OMG, Valve and Beth are so wrong, I'm gonna buy a premium membership and donate a lot of money to the Nexus..." You could understand why the Nexus would have supported such a crappy idea by being being the third party who is able to get a little cut, just like how the Thalmor are supporting the Stormcloaks.
PickleJar wrote: Why is this not mentioned in the news post?
Razgriz009 wrote: I would like some clarification on this as well
mattlock73 wrote: I came here looking for a response to this as well.
jediakyrol wrote: On the workshop "about" page
------------------------------------
Service Providers
Workshop authors can select from a pre-approved list of organizations, users, and toolmakers to receive a percentage of Valve's revenue from sale of their items. The specific organizations and individuals are listed below.

TOOLS
BlenderFoundation
Blender is the free/open source 3D creation software for everyone, providing individuals and small teams a complete pipeline for 3D graphics, modeling, animation and games.
Mod Configuration Menu
The Mod Configuration Menu (MCM) for Skyrim is a framework that powers user-friendly in-game customization for hundreds of mods. It represents the free and open UI tools and infrastructure provided by the SkyUI team today and in the future.
COMMUNITIES
Nexus Mods
Nexus Mods is a free to use mod hosting platform built around ease of use, creating a positive community and empowering mod authors to share their work with others. Established in 2001, the site has no outside investment and relies entirely on its users for funding and support.
AFK Mods
AFK Mods is a small modding community dedicated to friendly discussions, cooperation, and having fun while doing it. Our primary focus is on the Elder Scrolls games, but Fallout, Civilization, and other franchise modders are welcome as well.
Polycount
Since 1998 Polycount has been offering video game artists a place to learn, critique, and challenge themselves. If you check the credits to your favorite game, there is a good chance a Polycounter had a hand in it.
------------------------------

However, checking the account shows that it has no recorded logins and has just been sitting there since it was put up...likely right when Steam Workshop was first starting.
Also...mod authors have to list the groups they want to get a cut, and mark them on their mods...which Chesko and none of the others I've looked at did.

I have a bit more faith in Dark0ne not being that devious. That kind of information would be beyond contradiction but require Dark0ne to be contacted by Valve for this too. Imagine the conspiracy theories brewing up.

In response to post #24597589. #24597689, #24597789, #24597819, #24598324, #24598539, #24598784, #24598839, #24600374 are all replies on the same post.

LtRhapthorne wrote:
Millenia wrote: Nexus will never have paywalled/paid for mods. All it has is a simple donation popup feature that mod authors can opt into.
OiramX5 wrote: Hey Millenia, nice to see you still with us :)

Do you plan to continue your mods in nexus?
Really like the guns you made it!
LtRhapthorne wrote: It's not that, it's the fact that this has killed the atmosphere of modding.

Maybe it's just change. But before the concept of being paid people made mods because of their vision of the game not the bottom line.

It's not the community I fell in love with 7 years ago, before I even had a nexus account.
hector530 wrote: i think people are overacting a bit. modding isnt dead, no one is making a living selling mods, this only on steamworkshop
AngryCupcake91 wrote: Some of us can't afford video games in general much less paying for mods. I'm not saying its the end of the modding community as we know it, but I'm legitimately concerned that a mod I want to install will suddenly have a five to ten dollar pricetag. That concerns me, but yeah, let's wait till the dust settles and see where this goes. I am happy that modders are getting recognition, but this should be a donation system rather than charging up front...but that's just my opinion (feel free to ignore it)
danielleonyett wrote: what? so you assume within the 1st few days that ALL mod authors are going to start charging for their mods??? people are getting WAY too dramatic about this. Like Dark0ne said "we've got to let the dust settle and see what comes of all of this. It's too early to tell."
Yet everyone's running around screaming "I QUIT!" or "IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!" Get a grip, people....
LtRhapthorne wrote: You're welcome to think that. But modding is dead to me now.
Zella wrote: If you roll over & give them control of everything, you are empowering them. That is what they want & it encourages them to go further. Going down without standing with those who are in the 'right' is not a useful option. Taking your toys & going home in a huff has never been the best way to deal with life.

how dramatic!!!

In response to post #24599274. #24599654, #24599739, #24599814, #24599859, #24600179, #24600414 are all replies on the same post.

PickleJar wrote:
Jawsuleashed wrote: If you read carefully, a lot of comments are "OMG, Valve and Beth are so wrong, I'm gonna buy a premium membership and donate a lot of money to the Nexus..." You could understand why the Nexus would have supported such a crappy idea by being being the third party who is able to get a little cut, just like how the Thalmor are supporting the Stormcloaks.
PickleJar wrote: Why is this not mentioned in the news post?
Razgriz009 wrote: I would like some clarification on this as well
mattlock73 wrote: I came here looking for a response to this as well.
jediakyrol wrote: On the workshop "about" page
------------------------------------
Service Providers
Workshop authors can select from a pre-approved list of organizations, users, and toolmakers to receive a percentage of Valve's revenue from sale of their items. The specific organizations and individuals are listed below.

TOOLS
BlenderFoundation
Blender is the free/open source 3D creation software for everyone, providing individuals and small teams a complete pipeline for 3D graphics, modeling, animation and games.
Mod Configuration Menu
The Mod Configuration Menu (MCM) for Skyrim is a framework that powers user-friendly in-game customization for hundreds of mods. It represents the free and open UI tools and infrastructure provided by the SkyUI team today and in the future.
COMMUNITIES
Nexus Mods
Nexus Mods is a free to use mod hosting platform built around ease of use, creating a positive community and empowering mod authors to share their work with others. Established in 2001, the site has no outside investment and relies entirely on its users for funding and support.
AFK Mods
AFK Mods is a small modding community dedicated to friendly discussions, cooperation, and having fun while doing it. Our primary focus is on the Elder Scrolls games, but Fallout, Civilization, and other franchise modders are welcome as well.
Polycount
Since 1998 Polycount has been offering video game artists a place to learn, critique, and challenge themselves. If you check the credits to your favorite game, there is a good chance a Polycounter had a hand in it.
------------------------------

However, checking the account shows that it has no recorded logins and has just been sitting there since it was put up...likely right when Steam Workshop was first starting.
Also...mod authors have to list the groups they want to get a cut, and mark them on their mods...which Chesko and none of the others I've looked at did.
Blademaster1215 wrote: I have a bit more faith in Dark0ne not being that devious. That kind of information would be beyond contradiction but require Dark0ne to be contacted by Valve for this too. Imagine the conspiracy theories brewing up.

They do not get it. Nexus is only for free to use, not free to make money with it.

For that, you NEED the confirmation of the content owners or mod authors.

The author of SKSE decided that his work is free in the future, even for paid content. because he knows, that his work is legally questionable, modifying the EXE in some points. Bethesda can him shut down hard, if he resists.

But if you have used only the Editor from bethesda, you have a different position. Because they allowed you to create things and mods for the game, and distribute them.

Paid Workshop mods dead already?

I'm getting:

This item is no longer for sale, but if you have purchased it, you will still have access to it.

on anything I click.

That business with Chesko is just what I feared most, that good people would get burned by this experiment and a rift would be dug in the community. :/

In response to post #24599664. #24599799, #24599829, #24599839, #24599979, #24600139, #24600194, #24600244, #24600359 are all replies on the same post.

G18AkimboNoob wrote:
Eiries wrote:
However, The Nexus is a listed Service Provider on the curated Workshop, and they are profiting from Workshop sales. They are saying one thing, while simultaneously taking their cut.

I don't see how mentioning "these guys have mods too" constitutes Nexusmods making money off of this (except through traffic which he has no control over.)

Citation from bossman requested.
LtRhapthorne wrote: So Dark0ne is being as greedy as Valve

Unless he personally responds to these accusations, I'm going to ask for my account to be banned. I don't have local copies of my mods. They'll be dead forever.
PickleJar wrote: Yeah, Dark0ne needs to post about this.
LoneHP wrote:

No bleeding joke on that. A statement regarding what Chesko revealed is required to begin with, because actual money has likely flowed here over Chesko's (and Fores' ) work with no indication of such.
CiderMuffin wrote: If it's from ad revenue that's an unfair statement for Chesko to make, numerous sites do ad revenue in order to make ends meet. As far as I see it I don't get how the Nexus could make money off of this as they have no part in the transactions. I think this is just Chesko using the negative PR they're getting to hurt someone else out of spite.
Eiries wrote: Chesko's been colossally wrong about a lot of stuff over the past 24 hours so I can't help but feel he's just trying to take the heat off himself and place it on Robin. We'll see, I'm sure he'll say something.
Eiries wrote:

Totally making bank on this scandal. Totally. Hey dude.

Hey Eiries. You ever get around to those Flamer Textures :^)

as long as i look back i can tell Mods were made by the community for the community and with the help and time of the community. It was a giving and taking . We created a vast and amazing community over the years creating conent better then the devs. because thats what we do .

And we did it it for fun , with love and passion as our hobby.

and during the last 15 years there were lots of mods tunred into games. Actually full priced games !

and those mods deserved it because those creted complete frenchises ( portal , counter strike )

But taking the freedom for modders away in a way moddign should never expand , a paywall , is just a no go and not fair. sure tehre are mods out there which definetly deserve to get payed. such as enderal , tropical skyrim or other avst and gigantic overhauls. and maybe the unoffical patch team. But now letting modders take the '' for the cmmunity and with the community '' part away and replacing it with '' creating for money '' is NOT what modding ever ment and stood for. waht is happenung now is the end of mods, and the birth of out of game Microtransactions ! i wont pay 2 bucks for a armour set, no matter how nice it is. because there for i had enough of those ingame armor set buy crap.

valves workshop was a wrong idea in the first place and now valve is showing off their real intention : more money . and this is something which cant be stopped and sadly its just a matter of time till more and bigger modders follow.

i just hope the true soul of modding will stay alive here in the nexus ! so i will keep supporting and donating to the nexus and say Fluff you steam !

In response to post #24599664. #24599799, #24599829, #24599839, #24599979, #24600139, #24600194, #24600244, #24600359, #24600494 are all replies on the same post.

G18AkimboNoob wrote:
Eiries wrote:
However, The Nexus is a listed Service Provider on the curated Workshop, and they are profiting from Workshop sales. They are saying one thing, while simultaneously taking their cut.

I don't see how mentioning "these guys have mods too" constitutes Nexusmods making money off of this (except through traffic which he has no control over.)

LtRhapthorne wrote: So Dark0ne is being as greedy as Valve

Unless he personally responds to these accusations, I'm going to ask for my account to be banned. I don't have local copies of my mods. They'll be dead forever.
PickleJar wrote: Yeah, Dark0ne needs to post about this.
LoneHP wrote:

No bleeding joke on that. A statement regarding what Chesko revealed is required to begin with, because actual money has likely flowed here over Chesko's (and Fores' ) work with no indication of such.
CiderMuffin wrote: If it's from ad revenue that's an unfair statement for Chesko to make, numerous sites do ad revenue in order to make ends meet. As far as I see it I don't get how the Nexus could make money off of this as they have no part in the transactions. I think this is just Chesko using the negative PR they're getting to hurt someone else out of spite.
Eiries wrote: Chesko's been colossally wrong about a lot of stuff over the past 24 hours so I can't help but feel he's just trying to take the heat off himself and place it on Robin. We'll see, I'm sure he'll say something.
Eiries wrote:

Totally making bank on this scandal. Totally. Hey dude.
The 3rd Type wrote: Hey Eiries. You ever get around to those Flamer Textures :^)

Arthmoor is also saying the same about robin

In response to post #24598619. #24599869, #24600084 are all replies on the same post.

LeianneG wrote:
Psijonica wrote: THIS

I agree 100% that Bethesda may license the CK. I said it before and I'll say it again; this whole problem started when "donations" popped up. Onc3e the gaming companies saw that users were willing to pay for mods, and donations are a form of payment then it was obvious to the rest of us who understand law and business that they (the gaming companies) would protect their products.

If anyone thinks that they own their mods or that you can collect money for mods that use their (the gaming companies) platform (the game itself) then you are absolutely crazy. the gaming companies are the ones who invested the money and it is they who are creating the jobs! And that is what counts. Jobs... Governments will change the laws and support the companies that create jobs in their states and countries.

In the future people will buy mods like they do music from the iStore. There will always be free mods available so there will always be a Nexusmods however, the real talented modders that create new world spaces and quests, or top notch armour models and massive game change mods will test their alpha and beta mods for free on the Nexusmods sites and then move their final updated and improved mod to Steam.

It is inevitable...

Ask any old timer what they feel about the kids who think they own their mods... they used to think they were crazy and disliked it. Now those kids are adults and spoiled the modding commmunity and so we are now left with a new generation who not only beleive that they own their mods, that they can pay modders a 'tip" or "donation" without consequence.

I don't like it but I have to say, "I told you so."
CiderMuffin wrote: Actually from the looks of it most of those kinds of modders (trainwiz, the mannimarco team, Beyond skyrim, Elianora.) disapprove of this practice greatly and it could follow suit with even more world-building mod teams and modders. Sure there are going to be those ones that believe they should get paid for their work but in the end the chances of a big mod like Falskaar or Wrymstooth would end up doing worse on the paid mod market as their content is so big it would take over the refund period to do everything they offer and for players to see if the mod causes problems.

@ CiderMuffin

You are making some big assumptions and I disagree will your main point.

If you read what I wrote then you should know already that Trainwiz (god bless him) is an old time modder and who doesn't fall into this new generation. I predicted this would happen 4 years ago over at Modsreloaded and I was attacked and laughed at. My post is still there so I have proof of the prediction that the future would be pay-for-mods and that the gaming companies would be the ones to enforce it.

Just like today I predicted that the gaming companies will continue to protect their assets. It is a no-brainer.

There is a way that the Nexusmods could fight back but I am not willing to share my business model yet and I am not convinced that Darone is really the white night he is proclaiming himself as. Time will tell...

Just because trainwiz and other modders, who by the way are financially secure in their lives won't charge for their DLC typee mods, I already know for a fact that their are modding communities that are creating DLC type mods for sale on STEAM right now.

Sorry but it is time to open your eyes. I know you don't like what you are hearing but I promise you that you really won't like what you wil;l soon be seeing.