Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

In response to post #24608024.

FillipeMattos wrote:

That;s still a really big grey area because mods like Falskaar can do poorly because of their size, especially when there is a 24 hour refund period and people may not have the time to beat Falskaar or judge it properly.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24605154. #24607209, #24607279, #24607314, #24607404, #24607539, #24607559, #24607699, #24607944 are all replies on the same post.

ff7legend wrote:
aimlesswander wrote: very true but valve/steam has caught on to the petition and a lot of the people who have signed it have had there accounts banned. 4 of my friends signed it and lost there accounts . there was no slander or foul language towards valve just going against them they got there accounts banned
CiderMuffin wrote: I find that hard to believe is the thing, that just sounds like the kind of stuff people say to make Valve look way worse.
toggsuk wrote: Seriously? Surely that is illegal, that just seems so wrong.
Rifleman556 wrote: That is illegal, if they can find no reason for being banned, then its a violation of Freedom of Information Act and their terms of service.
CiderMuffin wrote: The reason I'm calling BS on the account thing is, how does Valve know who signed and who didn't? How can you ban someone from steam when you don't know who signed the petition? Change.org doesn't display people's email addresses and unless you use your steam name they have literally no way of finding out if you signed or not. At most I can see people getting banned on community by overzealous mods but full account bans? I doubt it.
troggleballs wrote: If this is true it's criminal.

And "gamergate" was the supposedly biggest gaming controversy last year! Hah! This year sure upped the ante and quickly.
Lordkabal26 wrote: Most likely they had their posting privileges revokes in the discussions due to spamming the link. Spam is a very valid reason for a posting ban.
CiderMuffin wrote: Yea, but when people hear banning they think stuff like losing their account like you lose it if you cheat in a multiplayer game or steal items by hacking an account. Being banned from community isn't really the same.

I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.

Here's Dark0ne's reply regarding the "Service provider" controversy that's been going on:

Personally, I don't see this as being hypocritical at all, considering that its entirely at a modder's discretion whether to even select the Nexus as a beneficiary. If the modder selects more than one, Nexus would get even less profit anyway since the funds are equally divided, and according to Dark0ne the pittance the Nexus receives doesn't affect their finances significantly.

So in other words, while its a nice gesture, its hardly the "payment of silver" that people are making it out to be- its not even comparable to a waiter getting tips. It's literalky chump change!

I think there should have been clear progress in the action taken by Steam in their handling of stolen mods before they even thought of opening up this can of worms.

When Steam is still known to be ignoring the original author's claims against the uploading thieves; or worse - acting against the original authors and allowing the thieves administrative privileges to police their own accounts; it is no time for them to be upping the enticement to steal other people's work.

I have noticed the large number of hidden files, and now that I know why the authors are doing it - don't blame them.

But Valve/Steam has a legal agreement with Bethesda to charge for mods; have they (Bethesda) extended permission to us here at Nexus for these donation boxes to be validly used?

What bothers me; Nexus has been here for Bethesda's modding community all this time; long before Steam was even in existence. It seems that they are taking a step toward kicking us to the curb, to me. I hope I am wrong in seeing it like this.

In response to post #24608024. #24608089 is also a reply to the same post.

FillipeMattos wrote:
CiderMuffin wrote: That;s still a really big grey area because mods like Falskaar can do poorly because of their size, especially when there is a 24 hour refund period and people may not have the time to beat Falskaar or judge it properly.

Falskaar has an original soundtrack and many hours of gameplay.
The author of the mod would have to update it regularly to correct the possible failures.

In response to post #24605154. #24607209, #24607279, #24607314, #24607404, #24607539, #24607559, #24607699, #24607944, #24608144 are all replies on the same post.

ff7legend wrote:
aimlesswander wrote: very true but valve/steam has caught on to the petition and a lot of the people who have signed it have had there accounts banned. 4 of my friends signed it and lost there accounts . there was no slander or foul language towards valve just going against them they got there accounts banned
CiderMuffin wrote: I find that hard to believe is the thing, that just sounds like the kind of stuff people say to make Valve look way worse.
toggsuk wrote: Seriously? Surely that is illegal, that just seems so wrong.
Rifleman556 wrote: That is illegal, if they can find no reason for being banned, then its a violation of Freedom of Information Act and their terms of service.
CiderMuffin wrote: The reason I'm calling BS on the account thing is, how does Valve know who signed and who didn't? How can you ban someone from steam when you don't know who signed the petition? Change.org doesn't display people's email addresses and unless you use your steam name they have literally no way of finding out if you signed or not. At most I can see people getting banned on community by overzealous mods but full account bans? I doubt it.
troggleballs wrote: If this is true it's criminal.

And "gamergate" was the supposedly biggest gaming controversy last year! Hah! This year sure upped the ante and quickly.
Lordkabal26 wrote: Most likely they had their posting privileges revokes in the discussions due to spamming the link. Spam is a very valid reason for a posting ban.
CiderMuffin wrote: Yea, but when people hear banning they think stuff like losing their account like you lose it if you cheat in a multiplayer game or steal items by hacking an account. Being banned from community isn't really the same.
salvador33 wrote: I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.

This is something modders need to pay attention to before using Steam for paid mods. Steam taking permanent possession of their work.

I am also considering removing my content from the Nexus. Why? The problem is that Robin et al, for perfectly good political reasons, have positioned themselves as essentially the champions of free mods and that they would never implement a for-pay system. However, The Nexus is a listed Service Provider on the curated Workshop, and they are profiting from Workshop sales. They are saying one thing, while simultaneously taking their cut. I'm not sure I'm comfortable supporting that any longer. I may just host my mods on my own site for anyone who is interested." coming straight from chesko. Care to explain?

The sad truth behind all of the madness is that Nexus is profiting from all of this in one way or another. Nexus Mods is listed as a service provider on Steam, they are taking their own cut of whatever profits are being made from the Workshop mods. Chesko has confirmed this, correct me if I'm wrong but to read the above message and then find out that the Nexus is profiting from all of this.. It's disrespectful to mislead the community. Valve is disrespecting everybody, as is Bethesda with a 25% revenue share to begin with. Even if you make a legitimate, entirely your own mod, your going to get paid 1/4 of the profits it actual makes.

In response to post #24608024. #24608089, #24608264 are all replies on the same post.

FillipeMattos wrote:
CiderMuffin wrote: That;s still a really big grey area because mods like Falskaar can do poorly because of their size, especially when there is a 24 hour refund period and people may not have the time to beat Falskaar or judge it properly.
FillipeMattos wrote: Falskaar has an original soundtrack and many hours of gameplay.
The author of the mod would have to update it regularly to correct the possible failures.

Then feel free to donate!