Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

So you f*#@ your community over for a 5% cut from Valve...

wow, that's really cheap and no excuse can clear you from that. This whole paying for mods thing will be the downfall of the Nexus and modding as a whole.

If you take money for your mods you ain't no modder anymore you are a software developer with all the strings attached to it...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24639199.

Tantalus010 wrote:

Honestly Bethesda would be committing suicide by destroying free modding. The thing is that Bethesda may be talented game developers but they rely almost entirely on modding for continued sales after the initial release year of their games. Looks at fallout3 released in 2008 Still has a active community and is still selling on steam. Now go back farther Morrowind is still being sold on steam as well. when you look at it Bethesda has a track records for making video games with incredible longevity and the longevity is 100% based on active modding communities because it enables these games to have a completely different experience each time you play and for constantly expanding UGC.

If modding was reduced to DLC it would seriously hurt Bethesda's bottom line in the end while they would see a small increase short term from the DLC model eventually they would loose out on the sales of the main game that continue year after year due to modding

In my opinion valve is the snake in the grass Edited by mikeloeven

I am relatively new to Skyrim and even newer to Nexus. When I installed my first mod, I remember thinking, "I can't believe this is free," or something to that effect. Since that time, I've muddled my way through dling 600 or so mods - 150 of which I typically use at any one time. I've never attempted to create a mod and I probably never will. I do, however, have a great deal of respect for those that do and my appreciation would extend to paying for some of the mods I use.

The reason I'm in favor of paying for great mods is actually very selfish. If providing some income stream encouraged those modders to create more and even better mods, then sign me up. I've never quite understood the notion that this should all, somehow, be free.

I have no problem really with mod authors trying to sell their mods, though I disagree with the percentage distribution like many others. I have no problems with the curator program either. Liassez Faire.

The biggest problem I have is Valve's complacent, and even complicit response to mod and content theft. Their stance seems to be pretty much "It's yours, the community's, problem and if you can't police it yourselves, oh f*#@ing well, once it hits the market it belongs to us now anyways and we make a profit either way. And the f*#@ you gonna do about it? Go ahead and get a lawyer, we'll just bleed you dry anwyays." They're doing absolutely nothing to protect content creators for the sake of the quick buck, and in so doing are discouraging(and really, contradicting) the whole "big mods like Falskaar 'deserve' compensation for their 'work'!" view point.

Many mod makers have no legal recourse in such situations and all that is going to do is dry up innovative passion projects, and the future of modding is just going to end up being IWIN swords and horsecocks. Small easy to do things that a single person can do without fear of their work being stolen if they put it to market as soon as they release, that doesn't need constant upkeep.