Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24641229. #24641539 is also a reply to the same post.

Vulkin96 wrote:
MangoMonkey wrote: That power largely resides with the consumer, and the modder. If you don't buy the mods - and I doubt many will - then the business model doesn't work and it doesn't stick.

There's also the counter-argument that paid modding might actually increase the availability of free mods. If a prospective mod author wishes to persuade people to buy his content, that means the content has to be of a certain quality. Learning how to make mods of that quality mandates experience and learning, both of which can be gained most readily with active and supported communites like the Nexus. If anything, if modding begins to require a certain amount of "professionalism", it might actually spur the community on to increase the quality of the free mods to help get them to that level.

I'm not saying it will for certain, but it's something to think about.

Surprisingly, over the past 48 hours, more modders have come out clarifying they will remain free rather than switch to a payment system.

At the same time, modders are reporting receiving more donations than before.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, as are many here, am seriously concerned about the future of modding that we have grown to love over the last decade or more.

So it got me thinking...

To me this seems like a pretty solid solution to the issue at hand because I feel the Nexus modding community and the community that uses the Steam Workshop for their mod selection are pretty much two separate entities with not a lot of overlap.

A mod author simultaneously hosting on Steam and on Nexus would:

1) Possibly receive the extra income he/she desires (probably not as much but much more than not). Remember the ones currently paying for those mods on Steam are most likely not part of the Nexus community (at least not a large part).

2) The Nexus community still has free access to the most up to date version of the mod

3) The mod author does not become a pariah to the Nexus community and we can all still be one happy family

4) Mod theft is not really a concern as the mod author already has his/her mod on Steam Workshop already

Jeremy Klein an d Stilgrenare already doing this with their Watcher Staff mod on Nexus ( http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65021/? ) and Steam ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429403248&searchtext= ) and freely advertise the mod at both locations. I must tip my hat to the both of them. Wouldn't this solution possibly allow this modding community a higher chance of survival in the long run?

Edited by Mystais

In response to post #24640949. #24641209, #24641459, #24641589, #24641639 are all replies on the same post.

steveling wrote:
MangoMonkey wrote: Why? This doesn't make any sense? He's entirely transparent about the process. I can kind of understand the notion that you believe he is tacitly "supporting" the Workshop and Valve's move, but his posts have made it clear he doesn't.

At the same time, surely you can't think that he should've actively refused to list the site as a partner? The Nexus requires money - and from my previous experiences with websites and server costs, likely an awful lot of money - to support the modding scene (the free modding scene, I hasten to add) in the way that it does. To continue to develop this site as an alternative to the Workshop, it would've made no sense at all to dismiss Valve's proposal. He did all the leg work he had to to ensure his opinions and site itself remained free to operate.
Amelli wrote: Because he knew about the fact that Valve and Beth would rake in the bigger part of the modders money before he decided he would also take 5% of valves. Why support that? Instead support your community of modders better by providing better tools in which they can be recognised and donated to for their hard work and in so doing raise kudos and therefore more visitors and subscriptions for nexus. At the end of the day, instead of helping the modders get 100% of what they deserve, he has supported valve so he gets a 5% cut of the money for his own site.

Its like a spider telling a fly, we'll let you live so long as you tempt other flies into my web.

Just because it makes a tiny amount of revenue for nexus does NOT make it right.
zzjay wrote: woul'd youu rather have nexus marked as illegal? cvause valve can do that...
Amelli wrote: No Valve cannot do that so long as the mods are not behind a paywall. They cannot do anything about free given mods.

EDIT: Also if they did that they would have to do the same for other sites that allow downloading of mods such as curse.

He's done exactly that? He's raised the profile of the donation button, added support for permissions and donations right there in the download button, all within a few days? The tools you wanted are already there, and no doubt more will come? This is directly because of these revenue streams.

Just because Valve is involved at all does not make it wrong, either. The Nexus itself is in no way effected by this deal, other than receiving a trickle of revenue from the Workshop if the author opts into the scheme. Fundamentally: if an author chooses to add a paid mod to the Workshop, and then chooses to support the Nexus, he receives that support. By making the choice to participate, the author has already agreed to Valve's ridiculous 25/75 cost divide. The Nexus doesn't even factor in here?

You want him to take an outright stand against their actions that he doesn't want to take. He supports his site, and his site supports free modding with donations and exposure? You're directing your ire at the wrong people for the wrong reasons, surely? Edited by MangoMonkey

Man, this sucks.

Objectively speaking, I don't think you've done anything wrong Dark0ne... But this whole thing just stinks of politics and people speaking a whole bunch of crap, speaking SO damn much and saying so very little.

It's like David Cameron has infiltrated the nexus and steam... And suddenly everything is about public appearances whilst making money under the table.

I hope this paid modding thing disappears; whenever money gets involved, things will always go sour. Those people who want to charge for their mods? They should just apply to work for Bethesda, and when they do, they should state "only pay me 25% of the earnings I deserve". At least that way, the modding community won't be split, because these people will be dev staff and not the people of passion they parade themselves around to be.

I do agree with Dark0ne. The reaction has been outrageous and it's too early to tell. There's a bunch of concerns in my mind but it's too early to tell. Hopefully if we are going down the path of DRM in modding, we can put a stop to it before it's too late.

In response to post #24640209. #24640274, #24640649, #24640694, #24640819 are all replies on the same post.

Roguespear wrote:
Amelli wrote: I bet you won't even get your money back to your bank either. It will sit in your steam wallet.
Warrior84 wrote: This is true, sadly. Your "money"/credits is tied to steam wallet, you cannot send it to your bank account.
Iceciro wrote: You would be correct; all the refund monies just goes right to your Steam Wallet.

Once Valve has your money, they have your money forever.
Amelli wrote: And if I read right, steam have already washed their hands of any responsibility concerning whether or not a mod is fit for release. Therefore the only warranty you have is from the mod author. And the small window in which you can request a refund if your not happy.
Of course there will be many that will blindly subscribe without thinking about those aspects, checking reviews etc. There is no real protection for the buyers other then their own common sense and others warning them.

This is why a Curated space makes sense, where mods that have been vetted and deemed worthy are the ones that have a price tag. That said, I assume you pay a dollar for a mod, and it's buggy, when the author releases bug fixes you are going to get the new version for free, the same way most software works.

In response to post #24640949. #24641209, #24641459, #24641589, #24641639, #24641819 are all replies on the same post.

steveling wrote:
MangoMonkey wrote: Why? This doesn't make any sense? He's entirely transparent about the process. I can kind of understand the notion that you believe he is tacitly "supporting" the Workshop and Valve's move, but his posts have made it clear he doesn't.

At the same time, surely you can't think that he should've actively refused to list the site as a partner? The Nexus requires money - and from my previous experiences with websites and server costs, likely an awful lot of money - to support the modding scene (the free modding scene, I hasten to add) in the way that it does. To continue to develop this site as an alternative to the Workshop, it would've made no sense at all to dismiss Valve's proposal. He did all the leg work he had to to ensure his opinions and site itself remained free to operate.
Amelli wrote: Because he knew about the fact that Valve and Beth would rake in the bigger part of the modders money before he decided he would also take 5% of valves. Why support that? Instead support your community of modders better by providing better tools in which they can be recognised and donated to for their hard work and in so doing raise kudos and therefore more visitors and subscriptions for nexus. At the end of the day, instead of helping the modders get 100% of what they deserve, he has supported valve so he gets a 5% cut of the money for his own site.

Its like a spider telling a fly, we'll let you live so long as you tempt other flies into my web.

Just because it makes a tiny amount of revenue for nexus does NOT make it right.
zzjay wrote: woul'd youu rather have nexus marked as illegal? cvause valve can do that...
Amelli wrote: No Valve cannot do that so long as the mods are not behind a paywall. They cannot do anything about free given mods.

EDIT: Also if they did that they would have to do the same for other sites that allow downloading of mods such as curse.
MangoMonkey wrote: He's done exactly that? He's raised the profile of the donation button, added support for permissions and donations right there in the download button, all within a few days? The tools you wanted are already there, and no doubt more will come? This is directly because of these revenue streams.

Just because Valve is involved at all does not make it wrong, either. The Nexus itself is in no way effected by this deal, other than receiving a trickle of revenue from the Workshop if the author opts into the scheme. Fundamentally: if an author chooses to add a paid mod to the Workshop, and then chooses to support the Nexus, he receives that support. By making the choice to participate, the author has already agreed to Valve's ridiculous 25/75 cost divide. The Nexus doesn't even factor in here?

You want him to take an outright stand against their actions that he doesn't want to take. He supports his site, and his site supports free modding with donations and exposure? You're directing your ire at the wrong people for the wrong reasons, surely?

Oh yes they can. At any time, Bethesda can make use of a clause in the Creation Kit which states that they own the copywrite of anything made with CK in perpetuity.

Anything.

They just haven't yet, but people seem to forget that that exists.