Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24699154. #24699914, #24700424, #24700529, #24700669, #24700794, #24700844, #24700949, #24701494, #24701854, #24702124, #24702184, #24702309, #24702704, #24703104, #24703354, #24703374, #24704484, #24704939, #24705069 are all replies on the same post.

Chesko wrote:
popcorn71 wrote: So your just going to leave and pretend none of this ever happened? I feel bad for you. I really do. But the way I see things, you have a responsibility to help fix this mess that you are, how ever unwittingly, impart responsible for. I think you'll find that if you really try to make amends people will be surprisingly willing to forgive you and even rally around and defend you. This is a community after all.
Fowldragon wrote: OMFG...Even if you're his DADDY, you got no right to expect a thing from this man. The man tapped out...its time to release the hold.
anonownsyou wrote: I love you Chesko, I really don't get to say that enough. Hang in there, despite the way the wind may be blowing, you're among friends.
WightMage wrote: You're a good man for coming back to apologize to Robin, Chesko. Not many people would swallow their pride like that- not in this industry, and most certainly not on the internet.

I'm sure that all will be forgiven in time, from the rest of us modders, but you should enjoy your time away. Think of it more as an extended vacation than self exile. ;)

Best.
popcorn71 wrote: @ Fowldragon
Oh, yes I do have a right to expect him to fix his mistakes. And you do too.
He did an enormous amount of damage by not thinking his actions through. But that wasn't my point. As some one who has personal experienced how these things can turn out, Chesko is in a somewhat unique position to rally the community and actually make a difference. If he has even a shred of decency, he will work to ensure no one else goes through what he has.
sunshinenbrick wrote: I do not know you personally at all but as a community member, and it just puzzles me as to why you would go on about how you look so fondly on it as family member while you are being abused by the people you are going to be working for.

And there was me spending my weekend working on ways in which I may help this community fight for mod creator protection.

I hope you stand up for other modders so they do not get treated the way you have been.

Sorry to be so rude.

EDIT: I realise this is not Chesko's fault. It's just it really feels like their is a fight for our survival... or maybe relevance. I am not a social media buff but I have been glued to a chat room the past two days.

I can conceed that he is an older member who contributes a great deal more than I, but I really hope that Nexus stays a part of the picture and being some one of such influence maybe that can make a difference for us "little folk"
WightMage wrote: The abuse he's receiving does not preclude him from remembering the years of good that he experienced working here. And Chesko has been around awhile- longer than both of us, I imagine.

It's hard to let go when you have that kind of attachment.
popcorn71 wrote: Part of the reason he has been abused so badly is because he was so well respected. he was probably one for the last people I would have expected to go off and do something so collosaly stupid as what he did and he has payed dearly for it. You know the old saying: "the bigger they are, the harder they fall"? Well, case and point.

Believe me, I have an enormous amount of respect for Chesko. I took the time to dig through the scripts of Frostfall and figure out how it works. That mods a friken work of art. But just because I respect him doesn't mean I'm willing to give him a free pass.
WightMage wrote: No one is beyond reproach, but I believe Chesko can be forgiven in time. He's only human, after all.
Fowldragon wrote: @Popcorn

I get what you're saying...I mean really. But I am reading all of this and remembering reading Dark0ne's earlier blogs that he quoted. This might well have been something anticipated, but it was sprung in a moment...and likely as not it was purposeful in that respect...

Getting Dark' and Chesko to be at odds...getting veteran modders to speak of betrayal and question character...HELL that's just Icing on their Cake.
diyeath wrote: That's pretty mature of you to come here and say that. I'm sorry you ended up on the recieving end of so much abuse. I hope you don't take those crazies who were threatening you as the normal, they're the vocal minority.

I encourage you to come back to nexus, at this point everyone knows what happened and I think I can safely speak for most other mature members when I say I understand your position and not being used to that kind of flak. As far as I'm concerned its all water under the bridge.

In any case, regardless of what you decide I hope things are better for you now. Take care!
popcorn71 wrote: @ Fowldragon
Don't I know it. This whole thing stinks to high heaven. At this point you'd have to be out of your mind bat s#*! craze to put your mod up for sale on the workshop. And the worst part is some prominent moders are doing just that. Can any one say SkyUi?
UberSmaug wrote: Chesko as I see it you are the victim of bad advice. Whoever told you that if mod A needs mod B to work and mod A is paid for but mod B is free doesn't matter bears the most of the blame. Of course that matters. You got crucified for it unjustly. This was bound to happen to someone I'm sorry it was you. My heart goes out to you and I understand completely why you want to hide out for a bit. I hope you come back to us if and when you are ready. Cheers Mate.
Reaper0021 wrote: Chesko...your mods are ESSENTIAL for me to even begin to touch Skyrim. Period. That's what hurt me the most was seeing my favorite modder over at STEAM. In my eyes you're forgiven. Period. We all make mistakes. You have to remember too a lot of the 'flack' you were getting was from kids as well so they usually lash out 1st with the words of hate then when adults or rather those more 'mature' try to communicate with you it seems like the whole world is closing in around you. You apologized like a man, you're forgiven in my eyes.
Brasscatcher wrote: I'm with reaper. I've been touting how I'd never be able to touch Skyrim without Frostfall, having experienced the game with it. I'm still firmly against involving money with modding. I'm still firmly of the belief that if someone's reason for picking up the tools again was because someone waved cash at them it was for the wrong reasons, and they should prioritize the things in life that are profitable to them instead.

That said, I've also said that you being our first casualty of the attempt to monetize modding was a sad, sad thing. Good luck to you, buddy. I hope your life takes you to awesome places. IF I hear word you're deving a new game, I'll definitely check that out...and THAT would be something I'd pay for. :)
thestoryteller01 wrote: I'm afraid you won't be forgotten that easily.

But I mean that in a positive way. One of the benefits of modding, is that someone will always be remembered for the great work he or she did, not for something that has been said in a forum post.
empiric wrote: @popcorn:

He owes you nothing. If someone voluntarily contributes their time in making something of value to people, your attachment of your made-up expectations beyond that should elicit nothing but a curt dismissal. Getting something for free from someone else's time and work is a boon, demanding more is the perspective of a parasite.
popcorn71 wrote: Are you stupid or something? Go back and reread my posts and then think about them before you respond.
phantompally76 wrote: @empiric

When you drop a glass on the floor and it shatters into a hundred pieces, do you just walk off and leave it for someone else to clean up? Or do you take measures to sweep that glass up so no one gets hurt because of YOUR clumsiness?

Your personal answer to that question defines what kind of man you are. It also defines your level of hypocrisy.

NICE metaphor, phantom. You turned that phrase like it had a knob.

I have a feeling we'll all be picking bits of this mess out of our heels for a while...and like the aftermath of a dropped glass, no matter how hard you sweep, you ALWAYS miss a few splinters that only become painfully apparent much later.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24704014. #24704229 is also a reply to the same post.

Harbringe wrote:
Brasscatcher wrote: Indeed. The shortsighted avarice of the folks championing the idea have proved that there's potential for it too. "I'll make a sword, and put it on steam and make tons of money modding video games!" they think, eyes a-sparkle.

Once again, modding is so massively derivative, so symbiotically linked to it's paid-for parent that the idea of monetizing them is laughable. They built this whole system to scalp people. ALL people, who choose to participate.

There's some dude down below who was talking about teaching people CK, making them "professional" modders, like he was a college professor. Silliness! Delusions of grandeur! What, are we going to have Bethesda-certified modders? People who've tested(AND PAID FOR!) a certification in Bethesda's modding tools? Holy cats, people! DILUTE YOUR KOOL-AID BEFORE CONSUMPTION!

But yeah, I bet some folks will break the threshold and get their 25%. That's good for...oh, a couple of pizzas, right? :D

No most mods will not see a huge profit but lets take a look at the top performers atm.

Purity is selling for 2.99, 1400 subs = $4191.98 25%=1047.99

Shadow Scale set 1.99, 1985 subs = 3950.15 25% = 987.54
low 1.49 " = 2957.65 25% = 739.41

Wet and Cold 4.99 670 subs = $3343.30 25% = 835.82
low .99 " = 663.30 25% = 165.82

Gifts of Akatosh 1.49 1456 subs = 2169.44 25% = 542.36

Blind Raven .75 627 subs = 470.25 25% = 117.56

In 5 days time these guys are already cashing out even assuming the lowest possible price. More than just a couple of pizzas worth. How about a new graphics card, or some more ram, hard drive, tablet. Things a modder can put to good use. Edited by UberSmaug

Heres what I feel, modding will just be another torrent sub folder for the pc community now. People will torrent them try them out, if they like them then they will buy them. If they don't they wont and the people that didn't have the money in the first place it was never a sale to begin with. Just look up paid skyrim torrents every single paid skyrim mod is already up on every torrent site you can think of. Its the sad truth, but it is truth.

In response to post #24704014. #24704229 is also a reply to the same post.

Harbringe wrote:
Brasscatcher wrote: Indeed. The shortsighted avarice of the folks championing the idea have proved that there's potential for it too. "I'll make a sword, and put it on steam and make tons of money modding video games!" they think, eyes a-sparkle.

Once again, modding is so massively derivative, so symbiotically linked to it's paid-for parent that the idea of monetizing them is laughable. They built this whole system to scalp people. ALL people, who choose to participate.

There's some dude down below who was talking about teaching people CK, making them "professional" modders, like he was a college professor. Silliness! Delusions of grandeur! What, are we going to have Bethesda-certified modders? People who've tested(AND PAID FOR!) a certification in Bethesda's modding tools? Holy cats, people! DILUTE YOUR KOOL-AID BEFORE CONSUMPTION!

But yeah, I bet some folks will break the threshold and get their 25%. That's good for...oh, a couple of pizzas, right? :D

No most mods will not see a huge profit but lets take a look at the top performers atm.

Purity is selling for 2.99, 1400 subs = $4191.98 25%=1047.99

Shadow Scale set 1.99, 1985 subs = 3950.15 25% = 987.54

low 1.49 " = 2957.65 25% = 739.41

Wet and Cold 4.99 670 subs = $3343.30 25% = 835.82

low .99 " = 663.30 25% = 165.82

Gifts of Akatosh 1.49 1456 subs = 2169.44 25% = 542.36

Blind Raven .75 627 subs = 470.25 25% = 117.56

In 5 days time these guys are already cashing out even assuming the lowest possible price. More than just a couple of pizzas worth. How about a new graphics card, or some more ram, hard drive, tablet. Things a modder can put to good use.

is it sad that looking at the numbers all i can think is

"1047.99 that's my rent and food for a month"

"987.54 - 739.41 ok i'll still need my food stamps card here, and a little help for the rent on the low end"

"835.82 JUST covers rent"

"165.82 well at least i can afford food, if not a roof over my head"

"542.36 well at least that half the rent"

"117.56 well at least thats half a month of food"

*SIGH* such a mess still. I'm all for modder's getting paid. I really am. I hope this works out in the end because after doing a bunch of research today, there are some possibilities here that I didn't think about before. such as "Older Games" getting mod-maker attention and being revitalized and revamped and brought back to life so to speak. I'm just wary of big business and this '75%' cut is insane compared to the work some mod makers have put into their mods, not to mention the time some community members have put in helping people trouble shoot these mods as well on forum posts. I hope this all works out in the end....but I remain wary of it.