ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

Guys have you seen valve director new message concerning mods? He said this is not in they interesst and not for money (humhum) and if things don't change he is going to think about simply delete payants mods. The petition now has more than 120000 voices.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24714709.

Alienfriend wrote:

Don't be fooled by PR... They will only budge if it benefits them. That is why the communities must stand together and demand better rights. Petitions are an excellent way to do this but not the only way.

Good to know we may at least be able to twist his arm, which in turn may twist Bethesda into a more thought out scheme and not this cash cow they are chasing.

That is probably the most immediate problem that I see, Valvethesda get cold hard cash, modders... Oh cheers, coupons! Edited by sunshinenbrick

In response to post #24699154. #24699914, #24700424, #24700529, #24700669, #24700794, #24700844, #24700949, #24701494, #24701854, #24702124, #24702184, #24702309, #24702704, #24703104, #24703354, #24703374, #24704484, #24704939, #24705069, #24705264, #24707439, #24708649, #24709434, #24709769, #24709849, #24709869, #24709899, #24710859, #24712874, #24713619, #24713839, #24713994, #24714209, #24714219 are all replies on the same post.

Chesko wrote:
popcorn71 wrote: So your just going to leave and pretend none of this ever happened? I feel bad for you. I really do. But the way I see things, you have a responsibility to help fix this mess that you are, how ever unwittingly, impart responsible for. I think you'll find that if you really try to make amends people will be surprisingly willing to forgive you and even rally around and defend you. This is a community after all.
Fowldragon wrote: OMFG...Even if you're his DADDY, you got no right to expect a thing from this man. The man tapped out...its time to release the hold.
anonownsyou wrote: I love you Chesko, I really don't get to say that enough. Hang in there, despite the way the wind may be blowing, you're among friends.
WightMage wrote: You're a good man for coming back to apologize to Robin, Chesko. Not many people would swallow their pride like that- not in this industry, and most certainly not on the internet.

I'm sure that all will be forgiven in time, from the rest of us modders, but you should enjoy your time away. Think of it more as an extended vacation than self exile. ;)

Best.
popcorn71 wrote: @ Fowldragon
Oh, yes I do have a right to expect him to fix his mistakes. And you do too.
He did an enormous amount of damage by not thinking his actions through. But that wasn't my point. As some one who has personal experienced how these things can turn out, Chesko is in a somewhat unique position to rally the community and actually make a difference. If he has even a shred of decency, he will work to ensure no one else goes through what he has.
sunshinenbrick wrote: I do not know you personally at all but as a community member and I think that the feelings you obviously have for the Nexus are really what this is all about. Mutual respect. Something that seems to be seriously lacking from the developers.

Many people have spent the weekend working on ways in which we may help this community fight for mod creator protection. I hope you stand up for other modders so they do not get treated the way you have been.

Sorry to perhaps I'm giving advice on something I can only scratch at the surface of.

EDIT: I completetly realise this is not Chesko's fault. I suppose that is the point here, being bullied like he has been. It really feels like their is a fight for our survival... or maybe relevance. I am not a social media buff but I have been glued to a chat room the past two days.

I can conceed that he is an older member who contributes a great deal more than I, but I really hope that Nexus stays a part of the picture and you're now being someone of such influence, maybe that can make a difference for us "little folk"
WightMage wrote: The abuse he's receiving does not preclude him from remembering the years of good that he experienced working here. And Chesko has been around awhile- longer than both of us, I imagine.

It's hard to let go when you have that kind of attachment.
popcorn71 wrote: Part of the reason he has been abused so badly is because he was so well respected. he was probably one for the last people I would have expected to go off and do something so collosaly stupid as what he did and he has payed dearly for it. You know the old saying: "the bigger they are, the harder they fall"? Well, case and point.

Believe me, I have an enormous amount of respect for Chesko. I took the time to dig through the scripts of Frostfall and figure out how it works. That mods a friken work of art. But just because I respect him doesn't mean I'm willing to give him a free pass.
WightMage wrote: No one is beyond reproach, but I believe Chesko can be forgiven in time. He's only human, after all.
Fowldragon wrote: @Popcorn

I get what you're saying...I mean really. But I am reading all of this and remembering reading Dark0ne's earlier blogs that he quoted. This might well have been something anticipated, but it was sprung in a moment...and likely as not it was purposeful in that respect...

Getting Dark' and Chesko to be at odds...getting veteran modders to speak of betrayal and question character...HELL that's just Icing on their Cake.
diyeath wrote: That's pretty mature of you to come here and say that. I'm sorry you ended up on the recieving end of so much abuse. I hope you don't take those crazies who were threatening you as the normal, they're the vocal minority.

I encourage you to come back to nexus, at this point everyone knows what happened and I think I can safely speak for most other mature members when I say I understand your position and not being used to that kind of flak. As far as I'm concerned its all water under the bridge.

In any case, regardless of what you decide I hope things are better for you now. Take care!
Don't I know it. This whole thing stinks to high heaven. At this point you'd have to be out of your mind bat s#*! craze to put your mod up for sale on the workshop. And the worst part is some prominent moders are doing just that. Can any one say SkyUi?
UberSmaug wrote: Chesko as I see it you are the victim of bad advice. Whoever told you that if mod A needs mod B to work and mod A is paid for but mod B is free doesn't matter bears the most of the blame. Of course that matters. You got crucified for it unjustly. This was bound to happen to someone I'm sorry it was you. My heart goes out to you and I understand completely why you want to hide out for a bit. I hope you come back to us if and when you are ready. Cheers Mate.
Reaper0021 wrote: Chesko...your mods are ESSENTIAL for me to even begin to touch Skyrim. Period. That's what hurt me the most was seeing my favorite modder over at STEAM. In my eyes you're forgiven. Period. We all make mistakes. You have to remember too a lot of the 'flack' you were getting was from kids as well so they usually lash out 1st with the words of hate then when adults or rather those more 'mature' try to communicate with you it seems like the whole world is closing in around you. You apologized like a man, you're forgiven in my eyes.
Brasscatcher wrote: I'm with reaper. I've been touting how I'd never be able to touch Skyrim without Frostfall, having experienced the game with it. I'm still firmly against involving money with modding. I'm still firmly of the belief that if someone's reason for picking up the tools again was because someone waved cash at them it was for the wrong reasons, and they should prioritize the things in life that are profitable to them instead.

That said, I've also said that you being our first casualty of the attempt to monetize modding was a sad, sad thing. Good luck to you, buddy. I hope your life takes you to awesome places. IF I hear word you're deving a new game, I'll definitely check that out...and THAT would be something I'd pay for. :)
thestoryteller01 wrote: I'm afraid you won't be forgotten that easily.

But I mean that in a positive way. One of the benefits of modding, is that someone will always be remembered for the great work he or she did, not for something that has been said in a forum post.
empiric wrote: @popcorn:

He owes you nothing. If someone voluntarily contributes their time in making something of value to people, your attachment of your made-up expectations beyond that should elicit nothing but a curt dismissal. Getting something for free from someone else's time and work is a boon, demanding more is the perspective of a parasite.
popcorn71 wrote: Are you stupid or something? Go back and reread my posts and then think about them before you respond.
phantompally76 wrote: @empiric

When you drop a glass on the floor and it shatters into a hundred pieces, do you just walk off and leave it for someone else to clean up? Or do you take measures to sweep that glass up so no one gets hurt because of YOUR clumsiness?

Your personal answer to that question defines what kind of man you are. It also defines your level of hypocrisy.
Brasscatcher wrote: NICE metaphor, phantom. You turned that phrase like it had a knob.

I have a feeling we'll all be picking bits of this mess out of our heels for a while...and like the aftermath of a dropped glass, no matter how hard you sweep, you ALWAYS miss a few splinters that only become painfully apparent much later.
Dark0ne wrote: Hi Chesko,

I really respect you coming here to tell me that. I don't mean for this to sound patronising or condescending, but when you wrote that post on Reddit I knew you were hurting and were completely shell-shocked by the situation. While I was a bit miffed by the content, I couldn't bring myself to judge you poorly for it because I understood the circumstances that lead to it.

As I said in my response to your Reddit post, my Skype address is in one of the stickies in the private mod author forums. If you ever want to talk then you can add me any time.
CptnBrryCrnch wrote: I love your mods.

I really really really love your mods.

I will totally pay for your material when you are ready for it.
PROMETHEUS_ts wrote: There is nothing to amend for , He was just involved in a shitstorm he didn't deserve .
Personally I see nothing wrong with eventually the decision to ask for a monetization for the hard work done by some people .
And I would like to underline that Chesko works as well as the one of some very few selected others, stand above the average random mod and most often required "paid" tools and content that ends up in the making of those professional level free mods.
So a small monetary incentive is not really for greed and with a 25% is not really goingto make anyone a living , but might end up eventually paying certain expenses in some cases .
Despite it incentivates only minor small mods and not large and DLC sized ones .
riverreveal wrote: Chesko, right now you might feel like there are a lot of people against you, but in time people will look at you as being the first person to take on Valve and Bethesda and their ill-thought out policy changes.

Sure things could have been handled better, but thats life, you are trying to do the right thing now and that makes you a good person.

Dont give up modding, you are way too good to not be around.
Tigon_3rd wrote: I was really hurting when I read what had happened to you, and that they just threw you to the wolves like that, shame on them.

Hope to see you back in the future sometime.
mannygt wrote: I would like to see that everything is going to be calmed. The "paid mods" issue was a shock for all of us but there are no reasons to threat (even death threat, that's disgusting) the modders who started to sell their mods. It's only a matter of choice and I'm pretty sure that you have to respect who have started to sell the mods, even if the author was one of your preferred author. You cannot go in rage for this thing. You may protest against Valve and/or Bethesda but not the choices made by the modders. Your preferred modder has started to sell mods? Well, you have two choice: ignore him or pay him. End of story, no threat, death threats and insults. Move on, find other mods which are free. Mine are free, other great modders give free mods. But I'm not angry with who started to sell their mods. The Nexus is the place for free mods: open the page mod, click download, enable and you're ready to play. What do you want more? Chesko was thrown in a vortex that was too big for him. He don't deserve this treatment, neither the modders who want to sell their own mod. He needs to relax, and Dark0ne too. You must relax too. We must relax. This storm will ends soon.
LangleyBoy wrote: @popcorn71 He is human, hes allowed to make mistakes its the way we learn have you noticed? just because hes good at something doesn't mean he has to abide by ideals and expectations, this was a hobby and like all hobbies we all would want to make a living out of what we love to do, he should be forgiven for making a mistake that is being over exaggerated by the community who should of been there for that one mistake he made while valve was acting up, you guys should apologise, we're the ones who really screwed up here in terms of expectations from right and wrong, I don't know about you guys but its easier on the sideline then to be him in this, show a little support, instead of making it unnecessarily harder.
empiric wrote: @popcorn, @phantom: If it was my glass that I dropped, I'd do exactly what I wanted about it. If you dropped my glass you got for free, drinking my stuff you got for free, in my house, you aren't demanding I clean it up.
CosmicMuse wrote: Hi Chesko, I'm just a random lurker, but I've enjoyed your mods and reading your posts, especially those in the Morrowind Modding community, for several years now.

This business really sucks all round, but you clearly still have friends here. I hope you'll be back sooner rather than later. Good luck and all the best with everything in the future. =)
Streptococo wrote: The main problem here is that people targeted the wrong targets, well, they targeted the easy/most vulnearble part, the mod authors... and many will keep buying games via Valve and Bethesda while name-calling mod authors...

I'd like to see each and every one of those, just for a day having the skills Chesko and many other mods authors have proven to have and receive an e-mail from Valve and Bethesda with that (in my opinion and from the outside, scam of a deal) and see what would they do. Has anyone tried to put in Chesko's (or any other mod author) shoes? Yes they are other mod authors that haven't agreed to the deal, but what do people know about the mod authors that accepted the deal? What do they know about their families, their bills to pay, their economic situation? What about the dreams they may have? Thinking about the possibility of joining a real gaming company? Te possibility of eventually being proposed a job to do what they love? THIS IS MADNESS!! A SACRILEGE!! Well, this reaction it's understandable if you choose randomly a mod and see the ratio "endorsements/downloads" or "thank comment/downloads"... and better not to even think about the ratio "donations/downloads"... Anyway, all this doesn't matter, mod authors are people that spend time, efforts and work to make mods. I think any person who spends their own time and efforts to produce anything is in his/her right to decide if he/she wants to be paid for that.

So many filling their mouths with "I'd definitely pay for that mod!" and when this happens... we all have seen the truth during the last days.(No, the cut is not an excuse for many many many sick behaviours)

People keep pointing mod authors, but they weren't the ones who had the idea, they aren't the ones that see the entire community as cows to milk "We think the communities you support on Nexus offer a ton of value to mod-makers and customers" (by Valve)

I don't like to have to pay for mods, in fact I will not pay for any mod (with that s..t of a deal where just giving you a table to show the result of your efforts and time spent they keep 75%), If the free mods eventually disappear, which I doubt, I won't buy any other Bethesda game because, in my opinion, without mods Bethesda's games are a failure. Horrible designs, full of bugs, and sorry but in my case, after two minutes of dialog I get bored.

I won't buy any more games from Steam, I'll try to find them in other game suppliers, buy the physical game, that's what I will do and it surely won't be nothing to those companies that see us as cattle, in their own words "mod-makers and c u s t o m e r s" to milk. But I will keep respecting and admiring those mod authors that have the skills to make mods regardless of having (or not) been proposed a deal that may feed their dreams.

Chesko, I don't think you will read this, but anyway, I'm sorry for what have happened, keep chasing your dreams whatever they may be, and specifically about modding do what you think you have to do, mod for yourself, stop modding, have your time and come back to share your great works with us, it's up to you... (ironic mode [ON]) but don't worry too much, because you know, you only have to share a new mod for free and you will see that the most of those who are treated you like the worst criminal and are here still being critic with you and demanding something from you (although I am still trying to find a reason that may give them the right to demand anything from you) you will see the most of them (if not all) will forgive you... and everything will be tea and cookies for ever and ever :). at least for them, because the damage they may have done to you, you know that's irrelevant. (ironic mode [OFF])
badiyee85 wrote: Sorry, I don't think you'll be forgiven that easily. Nor forgotten easily too.

I don't hold much against you, but you did sell yourself for a few quick bucks. At least that's how you've played your cards, all well documented in your own outpourings.

You had a choice, and you made the choice, no matter how "ill-informed" it "seemed" to be, "experiment" or not.

That said, the only true judge is after the passing of time. Time reveals many things, just a matter of time.

By then, I do hope irregardless of how healthy or sick the modding community is (i hope for the better), people will judge what you've done with a clear head.

Yet, remember, its easy to forgive, but never easy to forget.
MrSquirrels wrote: Remember you can always press that big old donate button on the top of the mod page! I think it needs to be bigger...
setsuna515 wrote: Chesko, I've loved your mods from the start and am stunned by your ability to code something so complex, so optimally. Frostfall is a great mod, perhaps your greatest. You've changed Skyrim entirely for thousands of people.

So, I am sad to see you go, and I hope your hiatus is temporary. I'm also disgusted at how Valve is treating the issue--as if they now own your work. Maybe they technically do. Maybe there's some clause that assigns Valve as a "publisher", and from the gaming world, we all know how tangled copyright gets when a publisher is involved.

Still, utterly disgusting what they're doing. If I'm going to pay for mods, I would rather 75% or more go to the modder than a paltry 25%. I'm paying for the modder's ability, not Valve's ability to slap something on their client or Bethesda's ability to say "Sure, you can sell it."
tem1980 wrote: A respectable post Chesko,

The world is tie-dyed gray, not black and white, as the masses like to believe.

we all break loose at some point and the 1st person we see usually gets heart... take some time off, you need it

Ive been around on the Nexus and other modding sites for along time, im not really much of a mod maker my skills are not in that area, but ive seen some amazing mods over the years and ive donated and endorsed to many of them, but this this Valve and Beth paid mods thing is well... a mess.Its a mess on so many lvls i don't know where to start, lets start with ethics, modding was and has mostly been a thing people did for fun, as a hobby to feel part of something and maybe to help others but this all changes when you bring money into the equation.Lets start from the angle of free vs paid, if its free its a much simpler commodity, alot less rules and laws, plus your doing a good service because lets face it there are MANY people who cant afford to buy games and mods, so that poor kid whos parents saved up to buy him skyrim can play mods to give him some pleasure, he doesn't need to nag his parents for another game they cant afford he can look on the nexus and think wow that looks so cool and play it.Also when its free it doesn't matter if 90% of the mods are rubbish you haven't spent your hard earned cash on a load of junk, when its free you respect the good modders for the hard work they do and the modders and the users feel a bond of gratitude. One money is involved the state of play completely changes, the modders feel compelled to do stuff, ie addons to make more money, add things that they would normally not do to try and make the mod more attractive and lose the feeling that they are doing something good.The users is where the biggest change comes, they suddenly go from loveing the modder to hating them, if they have paid money there expectations increase 200%, they demand more and more for the money they paid, they dont care if your at work all day and it takes you weeks to make a patch etc, they want blood and feel justified because you took money off them.

Valve....A massive corporation with one and only one goal...to make money, this crap they they have said about wanting to help the nexus and modding community is the biggest load of crap ive ever heard, just like the second hand game scene they see a market for money and they are not getting any of it, it doesn't matter if you think modders should or shouldn't be paid 75-25 is a complete joke and i cant believe that anyone would take them up on it, a quick look on the store and it would seem the average price is £1.00+ so you get around 25p per sale and valve and Beth make 75p, so if you had 200 mods which is easily done thats £200 you would spend, thats crazy nobody with half a brain will spend £200 on some mods that he wont be using in 3 weeks or less and as it would seem chesko has found out you sell your soul to them, your mod isnt your mod anymore, when money is involved it because so much more, people have expectations and greedy corporations have demands and nasty lawyers waiting to enforce them, the Dark0ne must of been crazy to get in bed no matter how little it is with these people, who lets face it will have an ultimate goal of seeing the Nexus gone and i can very well see it happening or at least as we know it. My vision for the nexus looks grim, i can see in 6 months the site struggling if it stays as it is, it will be full of even more rubbish that nobody wants and the really heavy weights will have moved to Steam most probably using the nexus as another store front with demos or old versions of the great mods tempting you to go to Steam to buy the updated full version or even worse go pirate it.

No matter what side your on modding as we know it will never be the same, Valve and Beth have pulled the rug from under our feet and will make sure that nobody gets back up unless they have paid the fee, the anger and vitriol of people is already in full swing and i think there will be many casualties, but unfortunately the ones left standing will be the Corporations and a lot of the great modders with be sacrificed to the Gods of money.

In response to post #24699154. #24699914, #24700424, #24700529, #24700669, #24700794, #24700844, #24700949, #24701494, #24701854, #24702124, #24702184, #24702309, #24702704, #24703104, #24703354, #24703374, #24704484, #24704939, #24705069, #24705264, #24707439, #24708649, #24709434, #24709769, #24709849, #24709869, #24709899, #24710859, #24712874, #24713619, #24713839, #24713994, #24714209, #24714219, #24715394 are all replies on the same post.

Chesko wrote:
popcorn71 wrote: So your just going to leave and pretend none of this ever happened? I feel bad for you. I really do. But the way I see things, you have a responsibility to help fix this mess that you are, how ever unwittingly, impart responsible for. I think you'll find that if you really try to make amends people will be surprisingly willing to forgive you and even rally around and defend you. This is a community after all.
Fowldragon wrote: OMFG...Even if you're his DADDY, you got no right to expect a thing from this man. The man tapped out...its time to release the hold.
anonownsyou wrote: I love you Chesko, I really don't get to say that enough. Hang in there, despite the way the wind may be blowing, you're among friends.
WightMage wrote: You're a good man for coming back to apologize to Robin, Chesko. Not many people would swallow their pride like that- not in this industry, and most certainly not on the internet.

I'm sure that all will be forgiven in time, from the rest of us modders, but you should enjoy your time away. Think of it more as an extended vacation than self exile. ;)

Best.
Oh, yes I do have a right to expect him to fix his mistakes. And you do too.
He did an enormous amount of damage by not thinking his actions through. But that wasn't my point. As some one who has personal experienced how these things can turn out, Chesko is in a somewhat unique position to rally the community and actually make a difference. If he has even a shred of decency, he will work to ensure no one else goes through what he has.
sunshinenbrick wrote: I do not know you personally at all but as a community member and I think that the feelings you obviously have for the Nexus are really what this is all about. Mutual respect. Something that seems to be seriously lacking from the developers.

Many people have spent the weekend working on ways in which we may help this community fight for mod creator protection. I hope you stand up for other modders so they do not get treated the way you have been.

Sorry to perhaps I'm giving advice on something I can only scratch at the surface of.

EDIT: I completetly realise this is not Chesko's fault. I suppose that is the point here, being bullied like he has been. It really feels like their is a fight for our survival... or maybe relevance. I am not a social media buff but I have been glued to a chat room the past two days.

I can conceed that he is an older member who contributes a great deal more than I, but I really hope that Nexus stays a part of the picture and you're now being someone of such influence, maybe that can make a difference for us "little folk"
WightMage wrote: The abuse he's receiving does not preclude him from remembering the years of good that he experienced working here. And Chesko has been around awhile- longer than both of us, I imagine.

It's hard to let go when you have that kind of attachment.
popcorn71 wrote: Part of the reason he has been abused so badly is because he was so well respected. he was probably one for the last people I would have expected to go off and do something so collosaly stupid as what he did and he has payed dearly for it. You know the old saying: "the bigger they are, the harder they fall"? Well, case and point.

Believe me, I have an enormous amount of respect for Chesko. I took the time to dig through the scripts of Frostfall and figure out how it works. That mods a friken work of art. But just because I respect him doesn't mean I'm willing to give him a free pass.
WightMage wrote: No one is beyond reproach, but I believe Chesko can be forgiven in time. He's only human, after all.
Fowldragon wrote: @Popcorn

I get what you're saying...I mean really. But I am reading all of this and remembering reading Dark0ne's earlier blogs that he quoted. This might well have been something anticipated, but it was sprung in a moment...and likely as not it was purposeful in that respect...

Getting Dark' and Chesko to be at odds...getting veteran modders to speak of betrayal and question character...HELL that's just Icing on their Cake.
diyeath wrote: That's pretty mature of you to come here and say that. I'm sorry you ended up on the recieving end of so much abuse. I hope you don't take those crazies who were threatening you as the normal, they're the vocal minority.

I encourage you to come back to nexus, at this point everyone knows what happened and I think I can safely speak for most other mature members when I say I understand your position and not being used to that kind of flak. As far as I'm concerned its all water under the bridge.

In any case, regardless of what you decide I hope things are better for you now. Take care!
Don't I know it. This whole thing stinks to high heaven. At this point you'd have to be out of your mind bat s#*! craze to put your mod up for sale on the workshop. And the worst part is some prominent moders are doing just that. Can any one say SkyUi?
UberSmaug wrote: Chesko as I see it you are the victim of bad advice. Whoever told you that if mod A needs mod B to work and mod A is paid for but mod B is free doesn't matter bears the most of the blame. Of course that matters. You got crucified for it unjustly. This was bound to happen to someone I'm sorry it was you. My heart goes out to you and I understand completely why you want to hide out for a bit. I hope you come back to us if and when you are ready. Cheers Mate.
Reaper0021 wrote: Chesko...your mods are ESSENTIAL for me to even begin to touch Skyrim. Period. That's what hurt me the most was seeing my favorite modder over at STEAM. In my eyes you're forgiven. Period. We all make mistakes. You have to remember too a lot of the 'flack' you were getting was from kids as well so they usually lash out 1st with the words of hate then when adults or rather those more 'mature' try to communicate with you it seems like the whole world is closing in around you. You apologized like a man, you're forgiven in my eyes.
Brasscatcher wrote: I'm with reaper. I've been touting how I'd never be able to touch Skyrim without Frostfall, having experienced the game with it. I'm still firmly against involving money with modding. I'm still firmly of the belief that if someone's reason for picking up the tools again was because someone waved cash at them it was for the wrong reasons, and they should prioritize the things in life that are profitable to them instead.

That said, I've also said that you being our first casualty of the attempt to monetize modding was a sad, sad thing. Good luck to you, buddy. I hope your life takes you to awesome places. IF I hear word you're deving a new game, I'll definitely check that out...and THAT would be something I'd pay for. :)
thestoryteller01 wrote: I'm afraid you won't be forgotten that easily.

But I mean that in a positive way. One of the benefits of modding, is that someone will always be remembered for the great work he or she did, not for something that has been said in a forum post.
empiric wrote: @popcorn:

He owes you nothing. If someone voluntarily contributes their time in making something of value to people, your attachment of your made-up expectations beyond that should elicit nothing but a curt dismissal. Getting something for free from someone else's time and work is a boon, demanding more is the perspective of a parasite.
popcorn71 wrote: Are you stupid or something? Go back and reread my posts and then think about them before you respond.
phantompally76 wrote: @empiric

When you drop a glass on the floor and it shatters into a hundred pieces, do you just walk off and leave it for someone else to clean up? Or do you take measures to sweep that glass up so no one gets hurt because of YOUR clumsiness?

Your personal answer to that question defines what kind of man you are. It also defines your level of hypocrisy.
Brasscatcher wrote: NICE metaphor, phantom. You turned that phrase like it had a knob.

I have a feeling we'll all be picking bits of this mess out of our heels for a while...and like the aftermath of a dropped glass, no matter how hard you sweep, you ALWAYS miss a few splinters that only become painfully apparent much later.
Dark0ne wrote: Hi Chesko,

I really respect you coming here to tell me that. I don't mean for this to sound patronising or condescending, but when you wrote that post on Reddit I knew you were hurting and were completely shell-shocked by the situation. While I was a bit miffed by the content, I couldn't bring myself to judge you poorly for it because I understood the circumstances that lead to it.

As I said in my response to your Reddit post, my Skype address is in one of the stickies in the private mod author forums. If you ever want to talk then you can add me any time.
CptnBrryCrnch wrote: I love your mods.

I really really really love your mods.

I will totally pay for your material when you are ready for it.
PROMETHEUS_ts wrote: There is nothing to amend for , He was just involved in a shitstorm he didn't deserve .
Personally I see nothing wrong with eventually the decision to ask for a monetization for the hard work done by some people .
And I would like to underline that Chesko works as well as the one of some very few selected others, stand above the average random mod and most often required "paid" tools and content that ends up in the making of those professional level free mods.
So a small monetary incentive is not really for greed and with a 25% is not really goingto make anyone a living , but might end up eventually paying certain expenses in some cases .
Despite it incentivates only minor small mods and not large and DLC sized ones .
riverreveal wrote: Chesko, right now you might feel like there are a lot of people against you, but in time people will look at you as being the first person to take on Valve and Bethesda and their ill-thought out policy changes.

Sure things could have been handled better, but thats life, you are trying to do the right thing now and that makes you a good person.

Dont give up modding, you are way too good to not be around.
Tigon_3rd wrote: I was really hurting when I read what had happened to you, and that they just threw you to the wolves like that, shame on them.

Hope to see you back in the future sometime.
mannygt wrote: I would like to see that everything is going to be calmed. The "paid mods" issue was a shock for all of us but there are no reasons to threat (even death threat, that's disgusting) the modders who started to sell their mods. It's only a matter of choice and I'm pretty sure that you have to respect who have started to sell the mods, even if the author was one of your preferred author. You cannot go in rage for this thing. You may protest against Valve and/or Bethesda but not the choices made by the modders. Your preferred modder has started to sell mods? Well, you have two choice: ignore him or pay him. End of story, no threat, death threats and insults. Move on, find other mods which are free. Mine are free, other great modders give free mods. But I'm not angry with who started to sell their mods. The Nexus is the place for free mods: open the page mod, click download, enable and you're ready to play. What do you want more? Chesko was thrown in a vortex that was too big for him. He don't deserve this treatment, neither the modders who want to sell their own mod. He needs to relax, and Dark0ne too. You must relax too. We must relax. This storm will ends soon.
LangleyBoy wrote: @popcorn71 He is human, hes allowed to make mistakes its the way we learn have you noticed? just because hes good at something doesn't mean he has to abide by ideals and expectations, this was a hobby and like all hobbies we all would want to make a living out of what we love to do, he should be forgiven for making a mistake that is being over exaggerated by the community who should of been there for that one mistake he made while valve was acting up, you guys should apologise, we're the ones who really screwed up here in terms of expectations from right and wrong, I don't know about you guys but its easier on the sideline then to be him in this, show a little support, instead of making it unnecessarily harder.
empiric wrote: @popcorn, @phantom: If it was my glass that I dropped, I'd do exactly what I wanted about it. If you dropped my glass you got for free, drinking my stuff you got for free, in my house, you aren't demanding I clean it up.
CosmicMuse wrote: Hi Chesko, I'm just a random lurker, but I've enjoyed your mods and reading your posts, especially those in the Morrowind Modding community, for several years now.

This business really sucks all round, but you clearly still have friends here. I hope you'll be back sooner rather than later. Good luck and all the best with everything in the future. =)
Streptococo wrote: The main problem here is that people targeted the wrong targets, well, they targeted the easy/most vulnearble part, the mod authors... and many will keep buying games via Valve and Bethesda while name-calling mod authors...

I'd like to see each and every one of those, just for a day having the skills Chesko and many other mods authors have proven to have and receive an e-mail from Valve and Bethesda with that (in my opinion and from the outside, scam of a deal) and see what would they do. Has anyone tried to put in Chesko's (or any other mod author) shoes? Yes they are other mod authors that haven't agreed to the deal, but what do people know about the mod authors that accepted the deal? What do they know about their families, their bills to pay, their economic situation? What about the dreams they may have? Thinking about the possibility of joining a real gaming company? Te possibility of eventually being proposed a job to do what they love? THIS IS MADNESS!! A SACRILEGE!! Well, this reaction it's understandable if you choose randomly a mod and see the ratio "endorsements/downloads" or "thank comment/downloads"... and better not to even think about the ratio "donations/downloads"... Anyway, all this doesn't matter, mod authors are people that spend time, efforts and work to make mods. I think any person who spends their own time and efforts to produce anything is in his/her right to decide if he/she wants to be paid for that.

So many filling their mouths with "I'd definitely pay for that mod!" and when this happens... we all have seen the truth during the last days.(No, the cut is not an excuse for many many many sick behaviours)

People keep pointing mod authors, but they weren't the ones who had the idea, they aren't the ones that see the entire community as cows to milk "We think the communities you support on Nexus offer a ton of value to mod-makers and customers" (by Valve)

I don't like to have to pay for mods, in fact I will not pay for any mod (with that s..t of a deal where just giving you a table to show the result of your efforts and time spent they keep 75%), If the free mods eventually disappear, which I doubt, I won't buy any other Bethesda game because, in my opinion, without mods Bethesda's games are a failure. Horrible designs, full of bugs, and sorry but in my case, after two minutes of dialog I get bored.

I won't buy any more games from Steam, I'll try to find them in other game suppliers, buy the physical game, that's what I will do and it surely won't be nothing to those companies that see us as cattle, in their own words "mod-makers and c u s t o m e r s" to milk. But I will keep respecting and admiring those mod authors that have the skills to make mods regardless of having (or not) been proposed a deal that may feed their dreams.

Chesko, I don't think you will read this, but anyway, I'm sorry for what have happened, keep chasing your dreams whatever they may be, and specifically about modding do what you think you have to do, mod for yourself, stop modding, have your time and come back to share your great works with us, it's up to you... (ironic mode [ON]) but don't worry too much, because you know, you only have to share a new mod for free and you will see that the most of those who are treated you like the worst criminal and are here still being critic with you and demanding something from you (although I am still trying to find a reason that may give them the right to demand anything from you) you will see the most of them (if not all) will forgive you... and everything will be tea and cookies for ever and ever :). at least for them, because the damage they may have done to you, you know that's irrelevant. (ironic mode [OFF])
badiyee85 wrote: Sorry, I don't think you'll be forgiven that easily. Nor forgotten easily too.

I don't hold much against you, but you did sell yourself for a few quick bucks. At least that's how you've played your cards, all well documented in your own outpourings.

You had a choice, and you made the choice, no matter how "ill-informed" it "seemed" to be, "experiment" or not.

That said, the only true judge is after the passing of time. Time reveals many things, just a matter of time.

By then, I do hope irregardless of how healthy or sick the modding community is (i hope for the better), people will judge what you've done with a clear head.

Yet, remember, its easy to forgive, but never easy to forget.
MrSquirrels wrote: Remember you can always press that big old donate button on the top of the mod page! I think it needs to be bigger...
setsuna515 wrote: Chesko, I've loved your mods from the start and am stunned by your ability to code something so complex, so optimally. Frostfall is a great mod, perhaps your greatest. You've changed Skyrim entirely for thousands of people.

So, I am sad to see you go, and I hope your hiatus is temporary. I'm also disgusted at how Valve is treating the issue--as if they now own your work. Maybe they technically do. Maybe there's some clause that assigns Valve as a "publisher", and from the gaming world, we all know how tangled copyright gets when a publisher is involved.

Still, utterly disgusting what they're doing. If I'm going to pay for mods, I would rather 75% or more go to the modder than a paltry 25%. I'm paying for the modder's ability, not Valve's ability to slap something on their client or Bethesda's ability to say "Sure, you can sell it."
tem1980 wrote: A respectable post Chesko,

The world is tie-dyed gray, not black and white, as the masses like to believe.
spider623 wrote: we all break loose at some point and the 1st person we see usually gets heart... take some time off, you need it

I will say this, It will take a LONG time before people calm down about this...especially since what happened with the mod you had removed is now huge news everywhere especially in the Steam Community. Other sites as well as Russian, Japanese, ect. Are going to just read the bad and its easier to get a bad rep than to repair a good one.

I for one believe in forgiveness, but as for the rest...it'll be hard that's for sure.

In response to post #24711234.

twisted630 wrote:

If you need money for all of those things, making mods should not be a source of revenue to begin with.

There are better jobs out there that pays more than modding, and as for the price set on Steam, its not even worth it. People keep trying to throw real life situations to justify paying for mods, but its weak and doesn't work when you can get a better career and job that pays more. Working Fast Food would make more than what you would sell at Steam period.

it's just Steam's way to try to root out the competition.

They want to destroy modsites cause they want all the mods on their own platform.

It's a underhanded heist.

I don't think it's even about the money, Beth and Steam are cuddly friends and decided everything needs to end up on Steam.

They want the monopoly.

That's what big company's do..they're disgusting.

Sadly, the lure of money already made some people pull their mods from the Nexus to put it up on Steam.

I will never buy anything from Bethesda or Steam again.

They can stick Fallout 4 where the sun doesn't shine if they ever decide to make it.

Edited by Guest

In response to post #24703069. #24703234 is also a reply to the same post.

nekollx wrote:
Brasscatcher wrote: Lol! First modders = movie producers, now they're college administrators! No limit!

Still a little deluded, I think. Good luck to you, buddy. I still bet your results will fall far short of your expectations. :)

" I still bet your results will fall far short of your expectations."
There is the key to all of this!

For Valvesda, there is no expectation of an eventual superior product. It isn't even necessarily true that they are hoping for a BETTER product, though for the last several years their conjoined interests have been quite significantly enhanced by this ' MODDING Phenomenon.'

This is a "Cattle Call" on their part...with more and more new interest placed on a potential paycheck. It is not unlike those who sign no name Models to contracts...require them to pay expenses + and if they should become Super-Models, Valvesda gets a BOON, if not, they make a tidy sum with virtually NO loss potential.

Whether Dark0ne wants to realize it or not, Valvesda IS attempting to whittle away at this community/MarketShare. that 5% isn't cutting into profits for Valve. The beauty of all of this is that it is "MONEY FOUND"...What does that 5% mean? The perception that Nexus is taking a supporting role.

Here is another unintended consequence...

A lot of modders have said something along the lines of when they were starting out they were very poor etc...

Now what about the future generations of modders who are gonna be in the same situation starting out... how are they gonna be able to afford to buy in to modding in the first place and learn their skills when they are priced out of testing out different mods and making mods compatible with one another etc?