Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24640949. #24641209 is also a reply to the same post.

steveling wrote:
MangoMonkey wrote: Why? This doesn't make any sense? He's entirely transparent about the process. I can kind of understand the notion that you believe he is tacitly "supporting" the Workshop and Valve's move, but his posts have made it clear he doesn't.

At the same time, surely you can't think that he should've actively refused to list the site as a partner? The Nexus requires money - and from my previous experiences with websites and server costs, likely an awful lot of money - to support the modding scene (the free modding scene, I hasten to add) in the way that it does. To continue to develop this site as an alternative to the Workshop, it would've made no sense at all to dismiss Valve's proposal. He did all the leg work he had to to ensure his opinions and site itself remained free to operate.

Because he knew about the fact that Valve and Beth would rake in the bigger part of the modders money before he decided he would also take 5% of valves. Why support that? Instead support your community of modders better by providing better tools in which they can be recognised and donated to for their hard work and in so doing raise kudos and therefore more visitors and subscriptions for nexus. At the end of the day, instead of helping the modders get 100% of what they deserve, he has supported valve so he gets a 5% cut of the money for his own site.

Its like a spider telling a fly, we'll let you live so long as you tempt other flies into my web.

Just because it makes a tiny amount of revenue for nexus does NOT make it right.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24641229.

Vulkin96 wrote:

That power largely resides with the consumer, and the modder. If you don't buy the mods - and I doubt many will - then the business model doesn't work and it doesn't stick.

There's also the counter-argument that paid modding might actually increase the availability of free mods. If a prospective mod author wishes to persuade people to buy his content, that means the content has to be of a certain quality. Learning how to make mods of that quality mandates experience and learning, both of which can be gained most readily with active and supported communites like the Nexus. If anything, if modding begins to require a certain amount of "professionalism", it might actually spur the community on to increase the quality of the free mods to help get them to that level.

I'm not saying it will for certain, but it's something to think about.

In response to post #24640949. #24641209, #24641459 are all replies on the same post.

steveling wrote:
MangoMonkey wrote: Why? This doesn't make any sense? He's entirely transparent about the process. I can kind of understand the notion that you believe he is tacitly "supporting" the Workshop and Valve's move, but his posts have made it clear he doesn't.

At the same time, surely you can't think that he should've actively refused to list the site as a partner? The Nexus requires money - and from my previous experiences with websites and server costs, likely an awful lot of money - to support the modding scene (the free modding scene, I hasten to add) in the way that it does. To continue to develop this site as an alternative to the Workshop, it would've made no sense at all to dismiss Valve's proposal. He did all the leg work he had to to ensure his opinions and site itself remained free to operate.
Amelli wrote: Because he knew about the fact that Valve and Beth would rake in the bigger part of the modders money before he decided he would also take 5% of valves. Why support that? Instead support your community of modders better by providing better tools in which they can be recognised and donated to for their hard work and in so doing raise kudos and therefore more visitors and subscriptions for nexus. At the end of the day, instead of helping the modders get 100% of what they deserve, he has supported valve so he gets a 5% cut of the money for his own site.

Its like a spider telling a fly, we'll let you live so long as you tempt other flies into my web.

Just because it makes a tiny amount of revenue for nexus does NOT make it right.

woul'd youu rather have nexus marked as illegal? cvause valve can do that...

SkyUI was not updated for a year, Schlangster and the team were not motivated to dig through the mess which was left behind Bugthesda in crafting menus, if nothing this make them finish it. If they want to get paid well, we cannot force them, certainly not with life threats, I know that what happen next can change the way modding in the future will work, but we shouldn't be harsh on them. I still don't understand the massive amount of hate which fallen upon heads of couple of best mod authors. Nobody said that mods won't be free next week, only that there is a possibility to get some reward for their hard work. Chesko initially took a path of timed exclusivity after which his mods should be fully available for free here on Nexus, I wonder if other modders weren't going to do the same. Be sure I don't have money to spare, I'm not prepared to pay for mods I'm glad that I can afford to buy a game. So the Nexus and free mods is the only place I will probably stay if nothing changes on the other side of the barricade. Don't tear this site apart, we should be strong and boycott the workshop not bringing pitchforks and torches on people from our mids. If you've read this far, sorry for all english mistakes.

In response to post #24640949. #24641209, #24641459, #24641589 are all replies on the same post.

steveling wrote:

Amelli wrote: Because he knew about the fact that Valve and Beth would rake in the bigger part of the modders money before he decided he would also take 5% of valves. Why support that? Instead support your community of modders better by providing better tools in which they can be recognised and donated to for their hard work and in so doing raise kudos and therefore more visitors and subscriptions for nexus. At the end of the day, instead of helping the modders get 100% of what they deserve, he has supported valve so he gets a 5% cut of the money for his own site.

zzjay wrote: woul'd youu rather have nexus marked as illegal? cvause valve can do that...

No Valve cannot do that so long as the mods are not behind a paywall. They cannot do anything about free given mods.

EDIT: Also if they did that they would have to do the same for other sites that allow downloading of mods such as curse. Edited by Amelli

The prospects of Steam consolidating their hold on the mod scene are becoming dangerously real. A leviathan comes to eat everything in its way. This is completely anti-consumer. Mods should always be allowed the option to be free.

BTW, very eloquently said. I really respect this guy.

The primary element that stinks through this whole debacle are the terms set forth by Valve. In order for any of this to work, the following needs to change:

1. The 75/25 arrangement should be reversed, and modders need to be paid 100% of proceeds on a periodic basis, no matter how small the payment is.

2. The full ownership and distribution rights need to remain with the mod authors.

3. Terms and policies on use of dependent mods or available modder's resources need to be ironed out and clearly communicated.

The current terms are downright extortionist, and modders should band together and refuse to participate until these terms change.

Finally, this whole episode has brought out the worst in the modding community. It's gotten downright ugly. People who have abused modders because they feel like they are "entitled" to a modders work are the lowest scum involved. Yes, even lower than Valve.