Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24645764. #24646449, #24646594, #24646624, #24647849, #24648674, #24649499, #24673089 are all replies on the same post.

volfin wrote:
Azradun wrote: Before, no one had the motivation to scam people, now they will have one.
PharCry wrote: If no one wants to pay for the mod, they don't have to. What are you even talking about Azradun? And the 24 hour policy is there as well. I swear I'm done after this post unless I open my browser again...
sunshinenbrick wrote: Let us also not forget Skyrim was a bugged out mess of a game when it was released. Continuous digs for payment in order to have a finished game will be next.
rotwhip wrote: thats a pretty ignorant thing to say...

think about it, if it were a scam, nobody would buy it, so the "author" wouldn't even get any money....

even the first person who buys the crap mod will see that it is a crap mod, and return it, posting a comment saying that it is a scam mod, and nobody else will get it........

that's the whole point of the return feature.
Azradun wrote: I actually bought a mod today (Firelink Implements) and refunded it. You can check it in its comments if you don't believe me.

Cash doesn't go to you, but to your SteaM Vallet. And it takes some days to do so. I'm still waiting.

Also the mod was very small so I was able to test and debug all in about 15 minutes. I don't see it happening with large quest mods so much (for obvious reasons).

Also I'm a paying customer for a product now (especially since my cash is locked down at the moment). I think I *can* offer some criticism :P
locomotive1236 wrote: @rotwhip, Do you really think the 24-hour return policy is reasonable? Do you really think someone with a full time job and a family can test a mod like falskaar in 24 hours? Keep in mind also that people that don't care for their reputations, i.e. mod thieves, can still make ton of money by selling an incomplete work. You will probably not notice something wrong until way down the road when it corrupts your save games. Ever heard of save bloating that occurs only after a while for certain mods? I need not mention those that had this problems but were eventually fixed. More importantly you do realize that the mod authors on steam can delete comments right? They can easily delete all the negative feedbacks and you wouldn't even realize it was broken until you had it.

And I'm not even gonna mention the compatibility nightmare if you have more than 50 mods installed.
Azradun wrote: They actively delete comments and discussions for the paid mods. The guy from Fishing Animations even deleted my comment about using FNIS' content... which was polite and factual, but got deleted because the developer didn't like it.

And they even actively hide rating if it's one star!

They hide the number of disapprovals, too. very unethical business practise.

I won't buy anything from a business any longer, who tries this shady approach and censorship. Edited by mkess

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it completely disingenuous that you simultaneously badmouth Steam and Bethesda for creating this paid workshop, while also gladly taking money from it, regardless of your support or lack thereof. If you had convictions, you would have told them you don't support the idea of paid mods, and politely declined to take part in it.

What you've done instead is take away any credibility you had.

I find it completely disingenuous that you simultaneously badmouth Steam and Bethesda for creating this paid workshop, while also gladly taking money from it, regardless of your support or lack thereof. If you had convictions, you would have told them you don't support the idea of paid mods, and politely declined to take part in it.

What you've done instead is take away any credibility you had.

you really need to say who your responding to if you don't quote

In response to post #24645764. #24646449, #24646594, #24646624, #24647849, #24648674, #24649499, #24673089, #24673359 are all replies on the same post.

volfin wrote:
Azradun wrote: Before, no one had the motivation to scam people, now they will have one.
PharCry wrote: If no one wants to pay for the mod, they don't have to. What are you even talking about Azradun? And the 24 hour policy is there as well. I swear I'm done after this post unless I open my browser again...
sunshinenbrick wrote: Let us also not forget Skyrim was a bugged out mess of a game when it was released. Continuous digs for payment in order to have a finished game will be next.
rotwhip wrote: thats a pretty ignorant thing to say...

think about it, if it were a scam, nobody would buy it, so the "author" wouldn't even get any money....

even the first person who buys the crap mod will see that it is a crap mod, and return it, posting a comment saying that it is a scam mod, and nobody else will get it........

that's the whole point of the return feature.
Azradun wrote: I actually bought a mod today (Firelink Implements) and refunded it. You can check it in its comments if you don't believe me.

Cash doesn't go to you, but to your SteaM Vallet. And it takes some days to do so. I'm still waiting.

Also the mod was very small so I was able to test and debug all in about 15 minutes. I don't see it happening with large quest mods so much (for obvious reasons).

Also I'm a paying customer for a product now (especially since my cash is locked down at the moment). I think I *can* offer some criticism :P
locomotive1236 wrote: @rotwhip, Do you really think the 24-hour return policy is reasonable? Do you really think someone with a full time job and a family can test a mod like falskaar in 24 hours? Keep in mind also that people that don't care for their reputations, i.e. mod thieves, can still make ton of money by selling an incomplete work. You will probably not notice something wrong until way down the road when it corrupts your save games. Ever heard of save bloating that occurs only after a while for certain mods? I need not mention those that had this problems but were eventually fixed. More importantly you do realize that the mod authors on steam can delete comments right? They can easily delete all the negative feedbacks and you wouldn't even realize it was broken until you had it.

And I'm not even gonna mention the compatibility nightmare if you have more than 50 mods installed.
Azradun wrote: They actively delete comments and discussions for the paid mods. The guy from Fishing Animations even deleted my comment about using FNIS' content... which was polite and factual, but got deleted because the developer didn't like it.

And they even actively hide rating if it's one star!
mkess wrote: They hide the number of disapprovals, too. very unethical business practise.

I won't buy anything from a business any longer, who tries this shady approach and censorship.

I don't understand how any of this is even legal. A lot of modders create and design mods from the ground up. Its a copyright nightmare and would be like saying all the songs on Spotify are now free to use as you see fit, remix, make money out of... oh and then 75% of those profits go back to the company.

Any whistle blowing and boom you're censored and quite possibly banned. I have nothing against good mods and modders getting money for what they do... but not like this, its just disgusting and has really changed my opinions on companies I had an admiration for.

In response to post #24673489.

Razest wrote:

If he only could do that entirely. For the 25% of the income before taxes, he had signed the distribution rights to Valve .... like every other 3rd party DLC author, too, I might add ...

How COULD they do that. Do you know the value of that. Or are the modders really "usefull fools" like someone in the steam forum said, Valve must think of them.

If you really plan to do such a thing, please take a calculator, and multiply the work hours, you spend on your project with at least 25$ !

That is the sum, they have to cough up UP FRONT, if they want the exclusive distribution rights. Edited by mkess

In response to post #24667554. #24668024, #24668224, #24668354 are all replies on the same post.

Moksha8088 wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: Well based upon the current verbage of the TOS, yes.

The new version of Wet & Cold is now the property of Steam. Even if that mod gets pulled (which it looks like it will be) for copyright infringement, it still belongs to Steam.

This is precisely what happened with Chesko's mods. Steam pulled Art of the Catch for Copyright, and when he decided he was done with Steam, he was informed that Arissa 2.0 would not be taken down, because it's no longer his to remove or redistribute. He DID manage to hide it, however, before he took his ball and went home.

That's what absolutely none of the mod authors who got conned into this or a single one of the proponents of paid modding have figured out yet. When you upload a paid mod, it ceases to be your mod. Steam can pull it down at will. They can alter the files at will. And there's nothing the mod authors can do about it.

And here's the real kicker; something EVERYONE needs to understand, about ANY corporation. Steam reserves the right to change their terms at any time, even the terms of a legally binding contract. There's nothing preventing them from withholding funds or stopping payment altogether to mod authors. There's nothing preventing them combining a mod's files with ANOTHER mod's files, and selling them as a new mod bundle. Once the mod author clicks "Agree" and "Upload", Steam can do whatever the hell they want with the mod author's files. And the mod authors have absolutely no legal foot to stand on.

Chesko found this out, and it caused him to ragequit.

Isoku is currently finding this out, and he's about to lose the rights to his bread and butter mod in its latest form.

Arthmoor has found this out, and based on the very few posts he has made since the 23rd, he is NOT happy with Valve or with the Workshop.

Let that soak in. Those are three of the top modders in the entire community. They've bought in to a CLASSIC confidence grift. And they got swindled.

Yes, they're going to get some money. And hopefully that will be some balm on their wounds. But they've lost a LOT of credibility and respect within the modding community. More importantly, they've lost the rights to their work. That probably hasn't even hit them yet. But it will.
popcorn71 wrote: I didn't know Arthmoor was involved in any if this. I would have thought he of all people would know better then to get mixed up in this...
phantompally76 wrote: Oh he's been hinting for years and years that he thinks he deserves compensation for modding. I knew he'd be one of the first to charge for mods.

If I'm honest, I'm surprised all the unofficial patches weren't included in the Sellout, er, I mean Rollout Bundle. I don't use them myself, because they break more than they fix, but I know a LOT of people do, and something like that would have caused the community to implode.

Selling mods as a bundle?

So once Steam Workshop owns the Mod, does that mean they will support or develop the mod further from that point?

Can end users affected by this be part of a class action law suit?