Charity

marharth

I know it seems strange about what I bringing up but just read what I have to say before posting.

I think some charities are OK. There are a few I do not like...

1. Dying kid cancer charity. Let me explain. The money rarely goes into research, and is used to help the dying kids. Lets say you donated 5k to something like this. They will probably only spend 1k of it before the kid dies. That is basically taking advantage of the whole cancer thing in the first place.

2. Animal charities that only give a percentage to help. I don't like animal charities that give 80 percent for a good cause, then 20 percent in profit. People have no issue killing dolphins or cows, but if you see a sad dog you instantly have to give them money? I support animal rights, but I don't think these charities are making it anything any better.

Now for charities in general, they take advantage of a bad situation to gain profit. That's just wrong.

This is what annoys me too. When I donate or just give money period, I like to know exactly where it is going. Commercials involving these innocent figures to appeal to our sense of emotion is a very manipulative way of gaining support. And it works very, very well.

If you can not find a charity in which you are assured where the funds go...there is a simple remedy that works for me.

Donate your TIME...not your money. That way you always can see the faces of the people you help. :)

Like with everything in this world it might be the actual opposite behind the label, so it is always good to have a closer look. It is much more satisfying to know. The best of course is to give your time as that tends to open the heart even more. Give and you be given. :) Edited by Nadimos

I know it seems strange about what I bringing up but just read what I have to say before posting.

I think some charities are OK. There are a few I do not like...

1. Dying kid cancer charity. Let me explain. The money rarely goes into research, and is used to help the dying kids. Lets say you donated 5k to something like this. They will probably only spend 1k of it before the kid dies. That is basically taking advantage of the whole cancer thing in the first place.

Being from Denmark, this is not an issue. All medical care and intertainment is payed by the state. Volunteers, however do provide extra entertainment during Christmas, Easter, etc. :smile:

2. Animal charities that only give a percentage to help. I don't like animal charities that give 80 percent for a good cause, then 20 percent in profit. People have no issue killing dolphins or cows, but if you see a sad dog you instantly have to give them money? I support animal rights, but I don't think these charities are making it anything any better.

I do not think that we are talking about the same kind of people here. Those who give s..it about dolphins, sharks, cows whatever, are those who would also beat and kick their dog for not "walk properly". They probably also give s::it about a sad dog and think it woul be best to shoot it. :devil:

Every year at this time I donate $200 to a cat refuge center. The money is spend to pay vets, food, a magazine to inlighten people. It is run by an old lady who had it for 45 years. I am absolutely comfortable that the money are spend correctly. However, I never donate to the big ones like Red Cross, Help a Child, etc. It is documented that most of the money are spend on administration, and salery. And then I ask: Why do people need salery for charity?

My charity? I have my own little "cat refuge" I am going to spend Christmas with 5 cats around the table, and a rost pork. :sweat: Wife´s at work. :blush:

You should really research charities before parting with any money, most are good but there are quite a few bad ones out there. We give £15/m to a cat charity, we know the money gets spent on the animals welfare and we also know they won't sell our details on to other charities. An example of one I wouldn't give a penny to are the RSPCA, the money there is used to harass and prosecute ordinary decent people, they destroy over 50,000 animals a year and their officers have been guilty of some appalling acts themselves. Other ones to be weary of are the fake charities that get the vast majority of their funding from the state (taxpayer), the likes of Age Concern, Action on Smoking, Alcohol Concern and Friends of the Earth. This lot are funded by the state to lobby the state, no conflict of interest there then.

An example of one I wouldn't give a penny to are the RSPCA, the money there is used to harass and prosecute ordinary decent people, they destroy over 50,000 animals a year and their officers have been guilty of some appalling acts themselves.

You are aware that PETA also destroys several thousand animals a year (in a giant freezer), and has a department specifically for coming up with various appalling acts to get them attention right? Just saying.