Excuse me but, how to get started...?

RodrigoDRT

New here and...

I know this may not be the most aproppriate moment to ask for help with this cause everybody seems a bit busy with all the paid mods stuff and all, but uhm... I had skyrim for a while and never modded it, and now i decided to so while they are still mostly free... Anywhere I can find a beginners guide on what I essentially need to install mods? Thanks in advance.

New here and...

I know this may not be the most aproppriate moment to ask for help with this cause everybody seems a bit busy with all the paid mods stuff and all, but uhm... I had skyrim for a while and never modded it, and now i decided to so while they are still mostly free... Anywhere I can find a beginners guide on what I essentially need to install mods? Thanks in advance.

This is a good place to start: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2235394-beginners-guide-to-modding/

You don't need it, if you prefer installing mods manually (aka putting the files in the game folder yourself), but if you install it, you can just download a mod, activate it with NMM and that's it! Of course, look for requirements of the mods (if they have any), but all in all, instead of doing it yourself, NMM installs the mods for you. Some mods/files I've seen (but very few of them) don't have the 'download with manager' option, but are still very easy to take care of. Just follow the instructions and you're all set :)

Someone already linked you a pretty decent guide. I still recommend checking out Skyrim Total Enhancement Project. They have a (somewhat dated, though still valid) selection of bugfixes, texture changers and game changing mods that should have been in the game from the very beginning. Then they also show you how to properly set up and use Mod Organizer, TES5Edit, Loot and all other necessary tools.

Even if you're not going to use their setup later, it's a very good starting point.

Believe it or not, modding isn't just about reading a guide or downloading a mod manager. You are in for hours and days of troubleshooting, googling problems with textures, papyrus error reading, bug-fix downloading, and double facepalming.

It's a long and tedious road but at the end of it is a bright light of stable and fun modded Skyrim.

I've spent countless hours tweaking my mod order and figuring out crashes but I'm happy I did.

I guess I understand, thanks for the replies so far. I'm certain i'll have a lot of trouble with the load order and mods conflicting, but probably a lot of fun once i get all of those working, but at first i just wanted to know what i needed to actually install a mod.

Neverthless, i've got that (hopefully) sorted thanks to the guide i've been linked into, and if its not really much to ask, other than the unofficial patch mods, any *must* mod I should have for a fresh start gameplay?

unofficial patches are a priority, PERIOD. As for everything else it really depends on your play style, likes, dislikes, and so on. Any of us can recommend mods, but that's all they would be is recommendations.

5 mods I NEVER play with out, below

A) Cerwiden - follower - She's a good healer in combat and has some excellent quests that have to be unlocked through dialogue with her. Feed her something named after her and praise her a lot.

B) Climates of Tamriel - this is a mod that does a lot of things that any ENB will do but does not affect FPS as much. If you have a low end system like I do, this is your best bet

C) Chesko's Frostfall - makes the game more realistic and immersive needing to actually sleep, feed, drink water, and consider the harsh freezing temperatures of Skyrim.

D) Bags and Bandoliers - allows you to craft all sorts of bags, pouches, bandoliers, scroll cases and so on

E) SKYui & SKSE - you WILL need these if you use ANY of the mods above