Steam and Bethesda remove paid modding from Skyrim Workshop

Dark0ne

In response to post #24798804. #24799224 is also a reply to the same post.

retakrew7 wrote:
UberSmaug wrote: "There are certainly other ways of supporting modder, through donations and other options. We are in favor of all of them. One doesn't replace another, and we want the choice to be the community's. Yet. in just one day, a popular mod developer made more on the Skyrim paid workshop than he made in all the years he asked for donations."

-Bethesda Game Studios

Donations don't work.

@Uber because of one anecdotal and unsubstantiated claim from a Bethesda puppet, you have come to the conclusion that donations don't work? How droll.

Up until recently there weren't donation buttons on mods at the Nexus. A lot of people weren't aware they could donate. Let's see how that plays out.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24798804. #24799224, #24799404 are all replies on the same post.

retakrew7 wrote:
UberSmaug wrote: "There are certainly other ways of supporting modder, through donations and other options. We are in favor of all of them. One doesn't replace another, and we want the choice to be the community's. Yet. in just one day, a popular mod developer made more on the Skyrim paid workshop than he made in all the years he asked for donations."

-Bethesda Game Studios

Donations don't work.
Vesuvius1745 wrote: @Uber because of one anecdotal and unsubstantiated claim from a Bethesda puppet, you have come to the conclusion that donations don't work? How droll.

Up until recently there weren't donation buttons on mods at the Nexus. A lot of people weren't aware they could donate. Let's see how that plays out.

The fact that the button has been there over a year and most people don't even know it should give you an indication of how important it is to the community.

In response to post #24798804. #24799224, #24799404, #24799519, #24799784 are all replies on the same post.

retakrew7 wrote:

-Bethesda Game Studios

Donations don't work.
Vesuvius1745 wrote: @Uber because of one anecdotal and unsubstantiated claim from a Bethesda puppet, you have come to the conclusion that donations don't work? How droll.

greggorypeccary wrote: The fact that the button has been there over a year and most people don't even know it should give you an indication of how important it is to the community.
Fowldragon wrote: Foster has posted her position on Donations and with a 1 sentence argument she convinced me Donations don't work. 100,000 downloads...1 donation.

by the time the system was pulled down, the maker of purity would have earned over $1000, in five days. That is not anecdotal and unsubstantiated. It was fact. I looked at the subs and did the math myself. Likely they saw modders were making too much money off their IP, and the riots gave them the excuse to pull out. I don't really want to believe that however. I found that the willingness to share what they created, and graciously allowing others to profit off their work is commendable. Edited by UberSmaug

In response to post #24798804. #24799224, #24799404, #24799519, #24799644 are all replies on the same post.

retakrew7 wrote:

-Bethesda Game Studios

Donations don't work.

greggorypeccary wrote: The fact that the button has been there over a year and most people don't even know it should give you an indication of how important it is to the community.
UberSmaug wrote: by the time the system was pulled down, the maker of purity would have earned over $1000, in five days. That is not anecdotal and unsubstantiated. It was fact. I looked at the subs and did the math myself.

Foster has posted her position on Donations and with a 1 sentence argument she convinced me Donations don't work. 100,000 downloads...1 donation. Edited by Fowldragon

In response to post #24798859. #24798999, #24799109, #24799114, #24800024, #24800839 are all replies on the same post.

Nightasy wrote:
Axeface wrote: Well said Nightasy, and thankyou for your tutorials. Sad to see your mods go, but I agree with everything you said.
Like someone else here said. Youtubers can make money from everyones mods. Twitch streamers can. The nexus can. Valve and Beth can, yet the 'community' actively refuses modders that chance, and it's only a chance, because only quality would actually sell.
Self determination is important, and that has been refused.

In hindsight they should have actively curated the system, just like they do in other games. And allowed a donate button, instead of the 'pay-what-you-want-but-PAY' system.
UberSmaug wrote: Sums up everything I've been saying for the past few days. Well said.
greggorypeccary wrote: I don't see how any thinking person could fault you.
arxerisdam wrote: i think all modders who feel that way should actually go and download their stuff.

Someone else will take the place and life will go on.
greggorypeccary wrote: I think they will. So what's your point. In the end you can download free mods from wealthy people and people that think it is their hobby and very new modders who just want experience. They will be free though so I guess you win. Some will even be good.

Playing music for a family event is DIFFERENT from playing concert! go join as bethesda employee if u want a "REAL CONCERT!" and play here if u want to entertain a POOR PATHETIC FAMILY! who can only gives u a constructive critics!

did u know that somehow your mod makes RICH people buy vanilla skyrim? and bethesda not giving u anything not even a simple thanks of endorsement from that uprising selling! instead we gave u endorsement as a portfolio for your good credibility. in conclusion bethesda SHOULD make u as their employee/DLC project instead of taking money from your FAMILY! Edited by vimebox

In response to post #24798859. #24798999, #24799109, #24799114, #24799789 are all replies on the same post.

Nightasy wrote:
Axeface wrote: Well said Nightasy, and thankyou for your tutorials. Sad to see your mods go, but I agree with everything you said.
Like someone else here said. Youtubers can make money from everyones mods. Twitch streamers can. The nexus can. Valve and Beth can, yet the 'community' actively refuses modders that chance, and it's only a chance, because only quality would actually sell.
Self determination is important, and that has been refused.

In hindsight they should have actively curated the system, just like they do in other games. And allowed a donate button, instead of the 'pay-what-you-want-but-PAY' system.
UberSmaug wrote: Sums up everything I've been saying for the past few days. Well said.
greggorypeccary wrote: I don't see how any thinking person could fault you.
vimebox wrote: Playing music for a family event is DIFFERENT from playing concert! go join as bethesda employee if u want a "REAL CONCERT!" and play here if u want to entertain a POOR PATHETIC FAMILY! who gives u a constructive critics! did u know that somehow your mod makes RICH people buy vanilla skyrim? and bethesda not giving u anything not even a simple thanks of endorsment from that uprising selling?

i think all modders who feel that way should actually go and download their stuff.

Someone else will take the place and life will go on.

For my part I am burying the horse.

I'm going to take a deep breath and stay off Nexus for 48 hours and just play the HEAVILY modded (284) and beautiful game I have going now. Then I'm going to start down my tracked mods list, all 31 pages at 20 entries per page, make sure that I previously endorsed them (I have 2,175 endorsements to my credit across Nexus but I may have missed...it happens), and if they have a donate button I am going to donate. It won't be much, I have mouths to feed and bills to pay, but at least something. My waistline can DEFINITELY miss the price of a couple of beers! My thought is $2 each, maybe more, but everyone will get the same amount whether I donated to you before or not.

Then I'm going to post a personal thank you to each and every one. I don't care how simple or complex the mod is, your work enriched my game in some fashion or taught me techniques I use in my personal mods and I appreciate it. I have never published a mod and never will because I just don't have time to properly support what I would publish and that's part of the deal. Besides, why should I when there is such wonderful work out there already?

Since I have no clue how many donate buttons exist for my list the donate portion of this may take a bit of time (I would like a beer occasionally!), but it will be done and you have my word on it. And this will apply to new files I start tracking as well.

I love this community and I see it's battered and bruised a little and this is my way of figuratively offering a band-aid and condolence for the last few days. No discussion, no motive, freely given. I don't care what side of this you were on, what was said, etc.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this comment. I AM NOT looking for "15 minutes of fame".

I just want us back again.

Regards to All

@Dark0ne - As stated above I am not looking for fame or fanfare, I personally abhor it and in real life am somewhat a private person. If for some reason, well intentioned or otherwise, this comment starts generating replies then I respectfully request that you or the moderator watching this thread remove this comment immediately. If you are so inclined, I will notify you when the mission is complete as an indicator of keeping my word. Thank you

As an artist in a different but related field of the entertainment industry, I'm going to derail the usual line of commentary here and address the other artists. This might not be the best place, but if it helps even one person it was time well spent.

There's an old man sitting on his porch staring intently at the sky on a beautiful, clear day.

Someone comes up and asks him, “What are you doing?”

Him: “Waiting for lightning to strike.”

Someone: “That requires a storm.”

Him: “Yep. I'm waiting for that.”

Someone: “There's no sign of one at all.”

Him: “Yeah, but I got up and got myself all the way out here. I'm going to sit here until the lightning strikes.”

Someone: “That could be awhile.”

Him: “I know! I've been sitting here for weeks and it hasn't come. Mean ol' storm.”

Someone: “Or you could, you know, get in a car and go find some storms.”

I see a lot of people lamenting on spending so much of their resources building mods, posting it in one or two places, and then nothing happens. They get angry that the community isn't throwing money at them if the numbers are high. There's so much emotional energy spent on anger and resentment, victimization and bitterness, and almost no energy on actually chasing the dream.

Making the thing is only half the work. Posting it somewhere is only a step. The rest of the work is talking about it.

And talking about it.

And talking and talking and talking until you're sick of hearing yourself talk about it, and then talking about it some more. It's about telling your friends, your family, your neighbors, your roommates, your Facebook groups, your book group, your underwater basket-weaving group. It's about making that Tumblr account and Instagram and Pintrest and Pinagram (yes, made that up) and all the -gram and -est and -book accounts to tell as many people as possible.

It doesn't matter that they don't play Skyrim. It's about being proud of it, of owning your talent, and of getting 9 “no”s out of the way to get that 1 “yes,” until there's enough “yes”s to have a following. Talking is not bragging, and it's not immodest to tell people when they ask how you've been or what you've been up to. It's simply you. Who you are.

It's about accepting the feedback from *meaningful* people, pursuing the refinement of talent, and building this up, brick by precious brick. It's about convincing other people that your stuff is valuable, not by simply putting it out on the table, but by being confident enough in yourself and your work to talk openly about it. The pursuit of a true artist—modders or otherwise—isn't a quick cash grab, it's a painstaking effort to build Rome over a lifetime.

It's recognizing that this is a journey, not a destination.

Now back to your regularly scheduled commentary. :)

Edited by Guest