Steam and Bethesda remove paid modding from Skyrim Workshop

Dark0ne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24733199. #24733474, #24733594, #24733919 are all replies on the same post.

Elta1 wrote:
sa547 wrote: All the damage could've been averted if the powers-that-be asked for a public consultation in the first place.
Saije wrote: Stop trying to ride the white horse here.

Modders turncoated on the community with hilarious haste.

Users responded in the way that an individual betrayed will always respond.

And now that the dust is settled and the greedy have shown their true colors.

(The fact that they don't give flying f*#@ about the community, just money.)

Now that the paid modding has been vanquished and said greedy individuals have no

recourse except to accept that they were completely happy in their betrayel.

You try to paste the blame on the ones betrayed rather then the ones betraying...

Ridiculous.

I hope if one lesson has been learned from all this it is this...

People will betray each other in a heartbeat when money is involved.

The only modders who deserve any sympathy are the ones that were attacked by the

greedy capitalist pushing pissants for not standing at the side of their fellow turncoats.

Sorry if I get banned for this comment... But it needed to be said.
focusv5 wrote: In a world where everyone has a voice (the internet), you're going to get all kinds of extremes in terms of opinions, and it clearly showed over the past few days. The blame cannot be placed solely on the users as if they were all issuing death threats and spewing absolute hatred. There were of course many users that were constructive and not issuing death threats by explaining that this system could have worked if it was implemented better. Don't let the sour few spoil your opinion of the masses. I wouldn't hop on the 'pity bethesda/valve' train as a result of hearing death threats as these sorts of statements are not uncommon in nearly all avenues of life. You make absolute statements like 'the users' as if they represented everyone, there were many who were calmly involved in the discussion as well.

Change is not neccesarily good. We're talking about a hobby that many of us have put thousands of hours into. I don't think the modding community should be seen as villains in this. Especially if people wish to ascribe good intentions to Valve and Bethesda (Two companies that would probably not even exist anymore or be very small without their modding communities).

AAA gaming has been going downwards for years and modding is what keeps the spirit of gaming alive for millions of people. Messing with that by introducing money and consequentially greed, on top of a very easily abused system of Steam Workshop and more and more information uncovered about how this was planned long in advance, and there's no way that the modding and gaming communities wouldn't raise absolute hell over this.

I just truly hope that all parties learn from this. However, with monetary interests involved, I think everyone should be vigiliant that this could happen all over again, just better repacked in PR-speak than Gabe Newell's meltdown AMA.

I do legitimately think that modders should get paid for their work and honestly my problem was never with the modders as much as it was with Bethesda and Valve,it was kinda of a matter of hating the game instead of the gamer, but whatever. I do hope that those modders try to release their mods , cuz some of them looked pretty cool. Edited by RobertSkyrim94

In response to post #24732589. #24732864, #24732894, #24733544, #24733749, #24733764, #24733924, #24733949 are all replies on the same post.

akkalat85 wrote:
WightMage wrote: .... But we can totes worry about that after a couple bottles of champagne. xD
akkalat85 wrote: Haha, certainly. One day at a time :)
Verstrahlt wrote: agreed, it's just a small success but doubts are sown by valve and bethy!
sa547 wrote: > everyone who stood together to shout down the paywall

This is very good imagery. Talos would have been proud. :lol:
Saije wrote: It's definitely not over.

It'll be back... And my vitriol cannon is ready to fire at the pricks who try to usher it back in.

This shows precisely why you don't just say... "Ho humm, there is nothing we can do."

If that had been the reaction of the community at large... Paid modding would have been here to stay.

But instead we said... "f*#@ you and f*#@ this."

And lo and behold... Enough of us were pissed to actually get noticed.
moxica wrote: Well put!!
My musket is back on the wall, but it's still loaded!
MonsterLunaChick wrote:

Free Choice FTW <3 Everyone's "annoying joke mods" and us rating them to the front pages on SWS and that wonderful petition really PAID OFF. Yes, pun intended! <3

Our ancestors indeed smile upon us this day. :D

I really wasn't going to state my opinions on this subject. I simply tried to keep my distance from the madness of these last few days because my life is already stressful enough as it is, but after reading this I realise I should at least thank all of you crybabies who flooded the internet with tears of fear and frustration.

THANKS!

P.S.: My sincere symapthies to those of you mod authors who just wanted to profit from your creations and were unfairly accused of being greedy.

Someone said it here and I will jump on the train. Now it would be great time to START donating to the modders we see they deservers it :) I know that I need to wait some more to be able to, but I will start donating as hell. This opened my eyes a little, if we showed more gratitude and appriciation to the modders, they wouldnt feel the need to jump on the SW nonsence Edited by Guest