Aliens

MadMike710

Aliens... Yes. I have had experience about aliens when i was little. Had encounter. Pretty scary, couldn't sleep fine for years, still can't sometimes. Just saying, it wasn't sleep paralysis, i could move during it. After that encounter i tried some years figure out what i saw, until i some tv program about gray aliens. Yea, the creature looked the same. That's all i'm telling about because nobody believes me anyway. But i believe in aliens, i must, because the experience.

Well, you're right, I don't believe you. In my opinion it sounds like a bad dream. I can tell you here and now that I've had my share of bad dreams. Dreams which, indeed, seemed so real that, at that moment, I was certain they were. However, I am a pragmatist and a scientist, so I'm highly skeptical of anything that seems "out of the ordinary". Aided by a bit of science, I quickly found that my mind had been playing tricks on me. (the human mind is remarkably capable of "fooling" itself, especially when you have, for example, a high fever.)

Now don't take this wrong, I'm not saying that this might apply to you, or that I don't respect your opinion, I'm just letting you know what my opinion is about the subject.

Also, I already posed this question in my earlier post, but nobody seems to bother reading it. So therefore, I ask again: Why would a bunch of aliens want to fly at the very least 4.2 light-years (in the very most optimal case) all the way to some pitiful ball of dirt and start "abductions" and who knows what else? If aliens are so technologically advanced that they can apparently somehow overcome or rather circumvent the "speed of light" problem, why would they bother coming here? It's not like they can "learn" anything from us.

Furthermore, if their intentions would be "good", why not show themselves? what's stopping them?

If their intentions are "evil", well, then we'd all be dead by now. Again, what's stopping them?

Most likely scenario according to me: Yes, there are aliens (a matter of statistics)

Have they been to Earth? Probably not. Why? They still have to either overcome the speed of light problem. Or, it simply takes way too long to get here. (assuming they have similar lifespans)

Who knows? Maybe aliens actually already know that we are here. We've been broadcasting messages into space as long as the radio exists. In the end, they still have to find a way to get here...

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I already posed this question in my earlier post, but nobody seems to bother reading it. So therefore, I ask again: Why would a bunch of aliens want to fly at the very least 4.2 light-years (in the very most optimal case) all the way to some pitiful ball of dirt and start "abductions" and who knows what else? If aliens are so technologically advanced that they can apparently somehow overcome or rather circumvent the "speed of light" problem, why would they bother coming here? It's not like they can "learn" anything from us.

Furthermore, if their intentions would be "good", why not show themselves? what's stopping them?

If their intentions are "evil", well, then we'd all be dead by now. Again, what's stopping them?

Actually in an earlier post I commented on the fact that our solar system is on one of the lesser spiral arms of the Milky Way and was more than two thirds the way out from the core of our galaxy, meaning that we are in the boonies of the Milky Way on the way to nowhere in particularly interesting at all. As for why any other species might have interest it might be as simple as research of primitive cultures much the same as we are curious about the aboriginal tribes of New Guinea. But since communication and or observation does not require physical presence a probe is far more likely than a spacecraft, just park one out at a Lagrange point and let it send data home. I personally do not believe in abductions, ancient aliens building the pyramids or little green corpses being held at some secret military base. Using Occam's Razor in that the simplest explanation is the most probable we have no evidence of visitation because there has been none, yet.

Actually in an earlier post I commented on the fact that our solar system is on one of the lesser spiral arms of the Milky Way and was more than two thirds the way out from the core of our galaxy, meaning that we are in the boonies of the Milky Way on the way to nowhere in particularly interesting at all. As for why any other species might have interest it might be as simple as research of primitive cultures much the same as we are curious about the aboriginal tribes of New Guinea. But since communication and or observation does not require physical presence a probe is far more likely than a spacecraft, just park one out at a Lagrange point and let it send data home. I personally do not believe in abductions, ancient aliens building the pyramids or little green corpses being held at some secret military base. Using Occam's Razor in that the simplest explanation is the most probable we have no evidence of visitation because there has been none, yet.

Yes, I know you commented on that, I just decided to expand it to a more "universal" scale since "alien believers" will often say that they were abducted to an entirely different galaxy. (which are millions of light-years apart) I also more or less expected that my earliest post would get more comments. The fact that this did not happen did kind kind annoy me.

And yes, you're right that it would indeed be far simpler to just send a probe and just park it at a Lagrange point.

Now if you'll excuse me, this topic has lost my interest.

Edited by BlackRampage

Some classic abduction tales, and not always hostile "abductions", either, have the human involved taken to another planet.

As for BlackRampage...you don't seem to study the history of science too well if you aren't capable of actually answering at least some of your own questions. Why would aliens abduct humans? I don't know...why did Darwin abduct all those little canaries?

Your kung-fu is pretty weak. Oh, sorry. Your "scientific method"...http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gif

Hmmm do aliens exist, maybe. theres been a lot of sightings lately lol

.http://news.yahoo.com/video#video=24686768

Check this out, but to me it looks very similar to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqqH5IwWeo4

]look at the end of the video

If you have any compelling evidence of aliens or anything please place it here for those skeptics to rifle through. Lets convince them other wisehttp://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif.

Edited by Thor.

Some classic abduction tales, and not always hostile "abductions", either, have the human involved taken to another planet.

As for BlackRampage...you don't seem to study the history of science too well if you aren't capable of actually answering at least some of your own questions. Why would aliens abduct humans? I don't know...why did Darwin abduct all those little canaries?

Your kung-fu is pretty weak. Oh, sorry. Your "scientific method"...http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gif

Yeah you're right it's indeed very unscientific to be ever doubtful of ones own established views and theories.

The reason why I posed those questions is very simple: I wanted to know what other would think of such things. I wanted to hear the opinions of others that's all.

Also, if I'd already be able to answer those question with absolute 100% certainty, I wouldn't even bother asking them would I?

Do you never go out and have a debate about your views? Or are absolutely certain that your own opinion is always the right one?

If so, fine. So be it. Think my methods are weak? Fine, so be it. I can live with that. If have but to respect your opinion.

Edited by BlackRampage

Yeah you're right it's indeed very unscientific to be ever doubtful of ones own established views and theories.

The reason why I posed those questions is very simple: I wanted to know what other would think of such things. I wanted to hear the opinions of others that's all.

Also, if I'd already be able to answer those question with absolute 100% certainty, I wouldn't even bother asking them would I?

Do you never go out and have a debate about your views? Or are absolutely certain that your own opinion is always the right one?

If so, fine. So be it. Think my methods are weak? Fine, so be it. I can live with that. If have but to respect your opinion.

You don't come across as doubtful of your own way of looking at things when you tell a traumatized someone to their face that you don't believe them. That's not very scientific. You don't know anything about that case. You don't even know who you're saying that to on an anonymous forum, you just related it to your own personal life experience and that was that. Sure, you left open the possibility that there was more to it, as many scientists do, but that's always the same, too. That's just a kind of moral scapegoat because it's obvious that you don't believe it's anything else than what you've experienced in your life, and that's the problem. Belief.

Scientists shouldn't ever talk of belief, imo. It's unscientific. Belief is for priests. And that's the real problem for today's scientist (*not necessarily including you in this, what you said could have been a slip of the tongue*). Most scientists these days are actually priests in lab coats.

Very few people study ontology. Too few people. And it's insufficient.

Being skeptical of anything "out of the ordinary" is very unscientific. If that was the leading theory of scientific discovery, nothing new would ever be discovered. No new theories to pave the way, nothing. New discoveries are exactly that, out of the ordinary, because it's the ordinary that is already discovered.

Take this case. In this case, you seem to not know where you end and the impersonal data begins. Since you dismissed someone's traumatized account of an alien/weird encounter, you wouldn't even examine it, would you? No, of course not, because you've already dismissed it as a "bad dream". See? No new discoveries because you already "knew" the answer (probably knew).

In truth, what you know is only yourself-as-well-as-you-know-it and you actually have no real reason to dismiss anyone's experiences, especially since you haven't even examined them. You're acting on belief, you even said so, not data that relates to that case because you don't actually have any. Like most nay-sayers, I might add.

So, if you don't actually examine a case and then pretend to the scientific method, I have to call your bluff. That's not science. That's belief.

Here's some science. I had a theory. That you were actually still interested in this thread even if you said you weren't. I wrote to you without replying to your post, knowing you would read it on a thread that had "lost your interest" and thereby prove my theory. You did, and I was proved right. You're being duplicitous, my friend. I caught your hand in the cookie jar, just like your beliefs where your scientific method should be.

Here's some science. I had a theory. That you were actually still interested in this thread even if you said you weren't. I wrote to you without replying to your post, knowing you would read it on a thread that had "lost your interest" and thereby prove my theory. You did, and I was proved right. You're being duplicitous, my friend. I caught your hand in the cookie jar, just like your beliefs where your scientific method should be.

Sounds like one of those diabolical alien traps if you ask me....phazers on stun.http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4781/marvinthemartian2.gif

Edited by Aurielius

Sounds like one of those diabolical alien traps if you ask me....phazers on stun.http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4781/marvinthemartian2.gif

(hahahahttp://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gif)

Oh, crap. My cover is blown!

Indred! They've figured me out. Call the Mothership to get my butt out of here before the Reptiles (or the local mammals) get a hold of me! If I end up Wright-Patterson again, I might never get out! http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/woot.gif