Is gaming getting bad or am I growing up?

Sinophile

I happen to like some of the games that make me feel like I am a child again, so to me it is being, "Childlike."

If age or boredom is causing you to feel the games are no longer as much fun, it may because you are becoming a grump. It maybe you want the games to remind you of what it was like to be a child, and if you have a grump attitude, you are becoming like a Grinch.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you believe it was actually my mom who got me into gaming? I was about five or six when she bought me my first Super Nintendo. I didn't ask for one; she got it for my cause she thought it was good for my hand eye coordination. But I absolutely fell in love with it, heck I still play my old games like Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, even though I've beat them dozens of times over since I was a kid. Ah yes, now those were the days... http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/happy.gif

True, it can be hard to find good games these days, just because there are a lot more of them out there than there used to be because the video gaming industry has grown so much, and unfortunately Sturgeon's Law is in effect. but there are still good ones out there if you know what to look for. That's why I always try to read reviews about a game before I get it. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/smile.gif

Edited by Lehcar

Would you believe it was actually my mom who got me into gaming? I was about five or six when she bought me my first Super Nintendo. I didn't ask for one; she got it for my cause she thought it was good for my hand eye coordination. But I absolutely fell in love with it, heck I still play my old games like Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, even though I've beat them dozens of times over since I was a kid. Ah yes, now those were the days... http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/happy.gif

True, it can be hard to find good games these days, just because there are a lot more of them out there than there used to be because the video gaming industry has grown so much, and unfortunately Sturgeon's Law is in effect. but there are still good ones out there if you know what to look for. That's why I always try to read reviews about a game before I get it. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/smile.gif

Ah, Yoshi's Island, great game.

I feel nostalgic for the original Doom and Quake games. I don't like these multiplayer FPS things that have singleplayer mode and plot as an afterthought. Granted, single-player "space marine" games are just "shoot some evil aliens, with a side order of plot) but I don't think that immersion and a good gameplay experience in singeplayer should be sacrificed for "online features". I don't like co-op mode and deathmatch as much as I like to experience the game world and get totally stuck into the fantasy. I like immersion, not being called a buttface by an 8-year-old with a mic. :whistling:

So, I suppose some genres are getting bad, but on the other hand, you still get good stuff. Single-player RPGs like Dragon Age, which have mature elements as well as blood, guts and shiny graphics, for example, are definitely not bad.

I think there's too much multiplayer nonsense at the moment. I game because I am getting away from the annoying guy next door. I do not want to go on a raid with him. :P It depends on whether you're lonely or sick of people, because gaming is escapism :D

Another example of games getting bad is the transition between Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander 2. The first was an excellent RTS game that is probably one of the best ever made, then made better in Forged Alliance. Supreme Commander 2 is like a hundred steps back, being watered-down to introduce n00bs to RTS gaming. I never finished the campaign since it was so awful and it didn't take a lot thinking to win a skirmish match. The dominating strategy was to rush the opponent early on by spamming gunships or tanks and the game would be over in 5-10 minutes. I hope Supreme Commander 3 will be like the first one, just with more units, strategy, and even better graphics. Then it will be worth spending 50-60 dollars on.

I still play those games too. Its wierd. My old SNES is sitting under the tv while the crappy xbox is sitting away somewhere gathering dust.

Yeah, I'm the same way. Someone thought it'd be a good idea to "misplace" my SNES though. Probably the same certain someone that kept calling it trash. Whatever... I've still got my N64, which I've probably spent more time on than the junky Xbox 360. Honestly, I think a lot of it is just the people that play the games. I'm not as old as some of the more veteran gamers on these forums, but I've matured enough that playing any competitive game online can be more of a chore than it is enjoyable, simply because of a chipmunk yelling choice profanities almost every other second. With my N64, PS1, and GameCube... no such problems exist. It's wonderful. Other than that, though, I've been getting more and more into PC gaming. The people hanging out on PC seem to be a better crowd to game with. I've run into more people that I can say, "Good game," to at the end of a match on PC than I could ever hope to run into on a console.

A little bit of both. It's the nostalgia feeling of the past that holds you like a closed fist but then again I have seen so many WWII shooters and stable medieval RPGs that it's not appealing anymore. There are a few gems out there but most are repeats of the same old same old. What we need now is more originality from the developers part and less saving the world or stopping the axis stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. It's happening in many areas of society all across the industrialized world. This crazy MadMaoist appeal-to-the-masses, off-kilter communist capitalism is turning the world upside-down.

There are people with ideas, of course, but it seems ever more difficult to get them expressed. I mean, if I wanted to make a hootin' tootin' helluva fantasy game and I didn't have any ideas, all I would have to do is come here and read threads for a few months and I'd know what needs to be done. But the people in command don't seem to even be that smart...they're satisfied with less instead of wanting to be really good, let alone truly great.

my neighbor gave me his son's nintendo 64

fell in love with super smash, and ocarina of time

too bad my mom threw it out, she didn't know i played it