Physical capes?

Brendon123123

You cant animate clothing in Obliivon.

What he said /|\

Even if you could, I doubt there is any way you could "control" the animations.

J3X was able to make animated weapons such as the Dwemer Flail but the animations are random and cannot be controlled to fire off when a specific action is taken...so basically, it just sits there spastically flailing around...looks good during combat but when you are just standing there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGXZxWSuNUk

But aren't we just discussing how it is possible to animate capes? Add new bones to the existing skeleton, animate them in Blender or 3DS Max, and rig and weight the clothes to it.

I know it's not that easy. Blender is a pain to learn, and Oblivion is a pain when it comes to throwing weird bugs at you, but it's doable. They just didn't do it at Bethesda for time reasons, and probably technology limitations at the time.

Well, it might be impossible to animate it in a way that it actually follows the movement of the player. But a cape/a piece of cloth slightly moving in the wind should not be impossible. Because it has already been done, if only to an objet. Check out ARDAH and climb on top of the houses. The banners there are animated. That is exactely what I meant in my previous post. Also: There are several wall hangings in Oblivion (at least in mods like Anduril recorged) that react to the touch like fabric would. I am not saying it is possible. But first signs are already there.

Well, it might be impossible to animate it in a way that it actually follows the movement of the player. But a cape/a piece of cloth slightly moving in the wind should not be impossible. Because it has already been done, if only to an objet. Check out ARDAH and climb on top of the houses. The banners there are animated. That is exactely what I meant in my previous post. Also: There are several wall hangings in Oblivion (at least in mods like Anduril recorged) that react to the touch like fabric would. I am not saying it is possible. But first signs are already there.

If it can be done with wall banners, couldn't the same result easily be achieved with a cape? Simply apply the same principles to a piece of armor? I don't see how that's impossible >.<

The part that you need to understand is that you cant have rigging and animations at the same time. It refuses to work. I tried it with a pair of boots that had an animation and I got an immediate CTD.

Banners arent rigged to skeleton , thats why you can animate them.And most likely they aren't even animated. They most likely have collision settings similiar to the ones found in the vines that hang in certain areas.

What if you used a water shader. You could get something kind of similar. You wouldn't be able to do anything too drastic. Perhaps you could make the cape part of the person, and had the animations linked to the character. You could make it disappear when not needed, like how hair disappears when you wear a helmet. Also seems like you could link it to the wind physics that move the flora. Edited by acklavidian

Tell me why couldn't you add a line of bones for the cape and animate them. Go edit every animation and add appropriate cape movement with the bones? Granted I know its a lot of work, but wouldn't that work?

^ This would work, wouldn't it? You could replace every animation with one that includes a moving set of cape bones, and any capes that are rigged to those bones would animate with every animation.