Skyrim Information

Zaldir

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole reason why some skills are where they are is because they think they have to juggle the skills about so that thief, mage, warrior each get 6. There is no other reason to retcon alchemy into a stealth skill.

Balance probably does play into it, but I think the balances make sense. In real life, working with poisons and remedies could be considered a stealth tactics (ie poisons used by assassins). There really isn't any magic coming from the user, it's a part of the ingredients and devices being used (which rogues in D&D would probably get proficiency in using), so I didn't like that it was a mage skill in Oblivion.

And how moving archery to warrior skills is a problem? Maybe stealth category has no offensive because is about stealth, and also it has perks to make non offensive skills pretty useful for killing (pickpocket + alchemy), and if you want archery just take it, the way they clasify the skills is not that important for the gameplay... alchemy is on stealth now but as a mage i will be taking it.

I wouldn't call it a problem, per se, just a peculiarity. You have a good point in that stealth is supposed to be viable: you can probably get through a lot of the game by just sneaking past enemies and pickpocketing their stuff. It doesn't change the fact that a purely stealth character would have no way to deal damage besides shouts.

As i said, perks will make non offensive skills useful for killing, i think the devs are focusing on the pure thief, the real pure thief, a pure stealth character.

Though the dagger is still considered a one-handed weapon skill, the perks for the weapon are housed under the stealth banner.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/01/24/skyrim-building-better-combat.aspx

This way a pure thief is a true stealth character, that is fantastic while killing in the shadows, even if he is not as well trained in one handed as an assasin or a warrior. But if he is found in the open he will have a hard time as he is a thief, not a assasin or a warrior. For what i can see the pure thief will be a viable class and lots of fun, maybe not the best one to fight dragons and giant spiders, but pure warrior are not the best at picking locks and looting the neighbourhood without being noticed.

And i'm sure poisoning by pickpocket and stealthy daggers are not the only weapons given to the pure thief by perks, even there might be stealth perks for the bow.

The whole reason why some skills are where they are is because they think they have to juggle the skills about so that thief, mage, warrior each get 6. There is no other reason to retcon alchemy into a stealth skill.

Balance probably does play into it, but I think the balances make sense. In real life, working with poisons and remedies could be considered a stealth tactics (ie poisons used by assassins). There really isn't any magic coming from the user, it's a part of the ingredients and devices being used (which rogues in D&D would probably get proficiency in using), so I didn't like that it was a mage skill in Oblivion.

Poisons are the only thing that has anything to do with stealth/thief.

Working with magical properties, where it's taught, where it was invented, who invented it, you are dealing with magical properties, a healer is not a thief. The word "potion". The word "Alchemy". Read the Lore. Play the games. It's all mage.

Edited by Ghogiel

Mr. Pete Hines says:

:armscrossed: "You use the A button to grab and move things."

And a preview of the PAX playable demo said that LB sprints and I'm guessing R3 changes the perspective of the camera, probably means that the spacebar also moves things on the PC, though I wonder what the sprint key is?

Mr. Pete Hines says:

:armscrossed: "You use the A button to grab and move things."

And a preview of the PAX playable demo said that LB sprints and I'm guessing R3 changes the perspective of the camera, probably means that the spacebar also moves things on the PC, though I wonder what the sprint key is?

Probably hold it down. The A button that is to move stuff. As for sprinting probably one of the lower keys. Z, C, V or something.