Skyrim Information

Zaldir

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I get get a chance to ask a Beth employee, I'm going to ask about the advanced armor perk, how scaled and plate work/tie into the other materials. And what improve by double is, I'm guess it is simply the stage 2 perk which doubles the AR of whatever material.

The scale and plate might have something to do with light/heavy.

*Smithing elaboration: Caleb, you’re getting the entire Smithing skill tree:

<snip>

(so this is all the armor in the game?) =/

That's only the armor that is crafted with ores (though Imperial armor isn't listed here), there are still other armors like leather, hide etc.

I'm sure there will be a lot more armor in the game then it's listed here.

Edited by Iv000

<snip>

We were pondering that a while back...seems like it, but we can't be sure. My working theory is that these are all the materials, but there are light and heavy versions of each.

I personally don't think there will be light and heavy versions, mainly because of the skill descriptions for Heavy and Light armor:

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/420437-the-18-skills-of-skyrim

I know that when I got the information from the QuakeCon video, it wasn't necessarily the final result, but the descriptions list certain materials in only Heavy or Light. I hope I'm wrong though, because having a heavy and light variation of daedric, ebony, glass...would be awesome. I honestly hope it's what happens, but I don't have high expectations on it.

Except light armor provides damage reduction AND it doesn't reduce your speed, not enough to where it's noticeable at any rate

And you know this how? As far as I know, they haven't released the new encumbrance formulas for Skyrim yet.

Not to mention it's overpowered to allow mages wear full-body armor without limiting their spell-casting ability in some way or another, because perfect offense and great defensive ability at the same time seems pretty unbalanced

This makes the (huge) assumption that magic will not only be extremely powerful compared to melee/bows and will need something to balance it out, BUT that the best option to do this will be to not allow them to cast spells as efficiently while wearing armor. That may be true, but it's very irresponsible to assume such a thing before the game is even out. See how magic and armor actually interact in Skyrim before you complain about any changes to the formula that frankly haven't even been confirmed yet. We know next to nothing about how the new magic system works in general: It's no surprise we don't know specific details like how spellcasting in armor works.

*Smithing elaboration: Caleb, you’re getting the entire Smithing skill tree:

Steel Smithing

Create Steel armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Arcane Blacksmith

Improve magical weapons and armor.

Dwarven Smithing

Create Dwarven armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Elven Smithing

Create Elven armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Orcish Smithing

Create Orcish armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Advanced Armors

Create scaled and plate armor at forges. Improve by double.

Glass Smithing

Create glass armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Daedric Smithing

Create Daedric armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Ebony Smithing

Create Ebony armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Dragon Smithing

Create Dragon armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

You can collect dragon bone and other parts to make really powerful armor and weapons using this skill, it sounds amazing. Matt was pumped about it and I trust his judgment.

Then there's fur, leather, Rough Leather, studded leather, Nordic Bearskin, Nordic Fur, Nordic Ringmail, netch leather, boiled netch leather, chitin and mithril... (Yes, I did list every armor from Oblivion and Morrowind here, but who knows, we might get a few of them. ;) )

And who knows how many types of armor you can create with "Advanced Armors"...

Except light armor provides damage reduction AND it doesn't reduce your speed, not enough to where it's noticeable at any rate

And you know this how? As far as I know, they haven't released the new encumbrance formulas for Skyrim yet.

Not to mention it's overpowered to allow mages wear full-body armor without limiting their spell-casting ability in some way or another, because perfect offense and great defensive ability at the same time seems pretty unbalanced

This makes the (huge) assumption that magic will not only be extremely powerful compared to melee/bows and will need something to balance it out, BUT that the best option to do this will be to not allow them to cast spells as efficiently while wearing armor. That may be true, but it's very irresponsible to assume such a thing before the game is even out. See how magic and armor actually interact in Skyrim before you complain about any changes to the formula that frankly haven't even been confirmed yet. We know next to nothing about how the new magic system works in general: It's no surprise we don't know specific details like how spellcasting in armor works.

Todd said that they wanted magic to be and feel more powerful than it did in Oblivion and a lot of previewers and people that played Skyrim at PAX said that using magic was stronger than using a melee weapon and more accessible than archery since arrows are rarer and more expensive in Skyrim than in Oblivion.It's not assumption, it's an observation based on info that I've been given.And you don't seriously think that they are going to make light armor slow you down as much as heavy armor right?They already said in the Skyrim fan interview that they balance out the defense of heavy armor by slowing the player down whilst it's equipped and draining stamina faster while sprinting compared to light armor.You also seemed to have completely avoided what I think was the most important part of my statement.

Why have robes if there is no gameplay reason for wearing them or for not wearing armor?Why put them on the mages in the game?

We can see in the Quakecon leak that there is enchantments on robes, they gave you a reduction in the magicka cost of conjuration spells.However, there is another preview in which the person found a piece of iron armor which gave a 12% reduction to the magicka cost of Illusion spells.I also saw a leak of a character playing Skyrim at PAX in which the person playing found a Minor Robes of Alteration which reduced the magicka cost of alteration spells in a chest in a dungeon.So, if armor can have the same enchantments that robes do, why enchant the robes if there's no gameplay benefit for using robes?It leads me to believe that there is some sort of mechanic in place which encourages a magic-using character to either forgo armor or use robes.I don't know what that mechanic is or what it could possibly be, but I do know it makes no sense to me whatsoever for it not to be there.