South Sudan to vote for independence!

Feltmarskal

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a good point that I hadnt thought of.

Frankly Wizard is right, the CIA has a habit of sticking it's thumb into anyone and everyone's politics if they think they can get something good to come out of interfering.

Much less so now, but until the 1990s atleast they had a stake in politics on atleast every continent. And that's just the stuff we civvies know about.

I dont particularly mind the thought of the CIA getting involved though. Maybe a little outside influence is what we need to make this go smoothely. One thing is certain: Sudan needs change, and if the CIA can bring it, so be it, if it can ahppen without outside influence, all the better, but considering just how low this has dragged on for, and the situation on the ground, i think that is unlikely.

You people need a ray of sun shine in your day. I know that the CIA will stick it's nose to anything that hurts America's interest but this topic is about South Sudan to vote for independence not CIA or American right-wing retoric. So lets give them a big cheer for the world's newest nation. *yay*

It is going to be bad, VERY BAD. Look at the region on a map. Look at the countries around southern Sudan. NOT the best neighbors to have in a shakey part of the world. At least the Russians and Cubans aren't in a position to pull the crap they did in Angola. This time it will be probably be Al Qaeda, Islamic militias from the north, or maybe Nkunda will slither out of the DRC to rape and kill a whole new crop of victims. Whatever the case the UN Security Council will be as impotent as ever, Obama will remain silent while thousands die and the Islamic north will keep their oil since that is where the pump stations are for the fields in the south.

Of course I could be wrong. Muslims and Christians might actually get along, millenia old tribal disputes might be reconciled, and CNN might actually get their facts straight. Okay, the bit about CNN getting it right is a stretch but the other two could happen.

also the chances of the US getting involved are VERYYYY low.

Really? I don't see many pies that the secret services haven't had their hands in for the last seventy years... :confused:

I dare say Africa would be a lot better off today if it wasn't for US, European, Soviet and now Chinese interference.

Just before this effort to have a vote for South Sudan independence got started there was a story making the rounds about a meeting between the Chinese Ambassador to Sudan and the President of Sudan in which the Chinese Ambassador was very upset ,to the point of yelling and screaming at the Sudanese President .Now though its unconfirmed if this actually happened people put a lot of weight into it as it was after this unconfirmed meeting that all operations by the Muslim dominated Khartoum government of the north against the Christian dominated south came to a sudden and swift end.Which then resulted in the various agencies of the Western World to begin the process of setting up a vote for Southern Independence.

The background to this is: The Khartoum gov through local militia's was carrying out ethnic cleansing in Darfur ,which we in the West largely ignored but once attention was brought to it pressure was put on to do something about it and given that the Chinese have large investments in the Country it was thought by the West they (China) could do something about it .Now China has a policy of non interference in the domestic politics of countries they invest in and they in the case of Darfur were unwilling to interfere but after months of arguing and cajoling them they finally relented and put some pressure on the Khartoum gov .Which really didn't matter because the Khartoum gov had pretty much accomplished the ethnic cleansing the had wanted to anyway.

On to the South: So after Darfur had pretty much settled down the Khartoum gov found itself with a number of militia's that weren't really doing anything and given that China had pretty much let them have their way in Darfur ,they figured they could do the same in the South.So to the South they went and yet again the West went to China ,but this time went with a message of "How can we take you seriously ,here it is happening all over again,right after you helped put a stop to it in Darfur". Well the Chinese found this to be terribly embarrassing and they most definitely want to be taken seriously on the world stage.Its that whole "saving face" oriental cultural thing they got going.

Anyway that was what set the stage for this unconfirmed meeting between the Chinese Ambassador and the Sudanese President.A meeting in which it has been reported that the translator was having such trouble keeping up with the yelling and screaming of the Chinese Ambassador that phrases such as "If you don't put a stop to this ,we will and you will not like that ,we are not like the Americans ,it will not just be a few of us ,it will be many,you will not like that" or "We are not like the West ,we try people our own way" (As in line up against a wall and shoot) .There was more to that effect that was part of this unconfirmed story but those are the only two I can remember off the top of my head.To say the least the President of Sudan was reported to be visibly shaken after this meeting.(No wonder prospect of millions of Chinese crawling all over your country to line people up against a wall and shoot would terrify anyone.)

Personally I tend to believe this meeting did take place ,its rather odd that the North's operations against the South so suddenly stopped ,that in the interim leading up to the vote for independence ,the North really didn't do anything to try and stop it and it's a given they are going to vote for independence and the result of a yes independence vote is the breaking up of the country.For that to happen someone has had to put major political weight and pressure on the Khartoum government and there is only one Nation that could do that, China.

So here's hoping the South of Sudan gets its freedom.

Harbinge, that is a very interesting tale you tell. I would love to see the Chinese Ambassador threaten to bring it to 'em Old School if they didn't let the elections happen. Maybe even with bad english overdubbing like a great/cheesy kung-fu flick from the late '70s/early '80s. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/tongue.gif

Still, it shows once again that in our world of *humans*, democracy doesn't mean squat unless you've got a Big Stick to back it up with. Shameful, but too many people are still unevolved and/or filled with bad programs (and of course, I don't mean the Africans, I mean everybody, everywhere has to deal with these Devolutionary Nitwits).

I dare say Africa would be a lot better off today if it wasn't for US, European, Soviet and now Chinese interference.

Truth. Every colonial power on Earth has tried to screw the African continent over.