Toddlers and Tiaras

Lehcar

I don't watch it. I think child beauty pageants are far from a good thing. Little girls, encouraged to be super-thin, covered in makeup, fake tanned, dressed the same as women in adult beauty pageants? I find it disturbing. A child should be having fun and taking part in age-appropriate activities rather than being taught that her looks are all she has to offer--oh, and that being fat is the absolute worst thing ever.

Frankly, it sickens me. I don't watch the show, and I don't even have it in my country, but child beauty pageants make me want to be sick.

Little girls, encouraged to be super-thin, covered in makeup, fake tanned, dressed the same as women in adult beauty pageants? I find it disturbing. A child should be having fun and taking part in age-appropriate activities rather than being taught that her looks are all she has to offer--oh, and that being fat is the absolute worst thing ever.

That is almost exactly what I wanted to say. I will add, that these girls look down on every other girl who isn't exactly like them, because they aren't so thin that a stick insect looks morbidly obese in comparison.

If I had the power to, I would shut down every single child beauty pageant. For good. Until then, its back to seething and scheming until I figure something out.

Oh yeah, Do any of you think that the whole concept wasn't thought up by a paedophile?

Edited by CommanderCrazy

Absolutely obcene and shouldnt be on TV. Or even an aspect of our culture.

People talk so much about negative influence upon their childrens live, usualy citing video games, drugs, and other children. THIS is the real sort of bad influence.

Well I say if the only reason you want to have a daughter is so you can dress her up like a barbie doll and parade her around like a trophy or a fashion accessory, just so you can win fame and fortune, then you are a fool and you do not deserve to have children, because that is wrong.

I feel sorry for these poor little girls. All their mothers all want and pressure them to win the big money and big prizes at these "beauty contests" and want them to grow up to become Miss America or some such nonsense. That's a horrible amount of stress and pressure to put on a child who is barely school aged.

Oh Lehcar, don't even get me started on child beauty pageants (the merest thought of them makes my blood boil). They are wrong on every damned level no matter what angle you look at one from. I know if I had a daughter and my wife wanted to put her in one of those, I'd be looking to send the missus to get some counselling or (worst case scenario) I'd divorce her and take the daughter with me.

I've seen some of these pageants and they are little more than washed-up, has-been/never-were, idiot parents that are using their little girl as a tool for petty riches and their 15 minutes of fame or are attempting to live vicariously through that child (Jon-Benet Ramsey, anyone?). Let kids be kids for frak's sake! Childhood ends way too fast for both children and parents alike, so why would anyone waste that precious time on something that doesn't make 1/10 of one sh*t when it is all said and done?

What will I do when I have a daughter? Encourage intelligence, integrity, class, and fun. Produce a child that is down to earth, doesn't buy into society's hogwash that you have to look a certain way, wear certain clothes, listen to a certain kind of music, use certain words, use the latest technology, etc etc ad nausium. My little girl would be a pint-sized female version of me - just like my little boys will be.

My reasoning?

Simple, I want my kids to be a part of the solution - not a part of the problem.

Frankly, it sickens me. I don't watch the show, and I don't even have it in my country, but child beauty pageants make me want to be sick.

Little girls, encouraged to be super-thin, covered in makeup, fake tanned, dressed the same as women in adult beauty pageants? I find it disturbing. A child should be having fun and taking part in age-appropriate activities rather than being taught that her looks are all she has to offer--oh, and that being fat is the absolute worst thing ever.

That is almost exactly what I wanted to say. I will add, that these girls look down on every other girl who isn't exactly like them, because they aren't so thin that a stick insect looks morbidly obese in comparison.

If I had the power to, I would shut down every single child beauty pageant. For good. Until then, its back to seething and scheming until I figure something out.

Oh yeah, Do any of you think that the whole concept wasn't thought up by a paedophile?

Everything I put in bold was what I wanted to say. Exactly these words. I have never heard of that show or whatever it is, but I looked it up on youtube. I found some little whiny girl screaming at everything. What the hell would happen in 10 years when she becomes a teenager?