Modders; Why Do You Do it?

rms827

I've been modding ever since Morrowind. Started witch changing little things in other people's mods to my own liking, then doing small things for myself then bigger things etc.

Same with Skyrim.

After years of modding for myself, I wanted to at least try releasing a mod once with my Pirates mod February of this year.

Answering why I mod is simple: To tweak things to my liking. Also, I do enjoy the learning and thinking processes involved.

Answering why people (me included) release mods is not so simple imo. Why they go through the extra work and frustration that releasing a mod involves, that is.

Edited by BigBizkit

Answering why people (me included) release mods is not so simple imo. Why they go through the extra work and frustration that releasing a mod involves, that is.

for me it's not a big deal. sharing is caring, and you just need to write some information about your mod in the mod description and then upload it, not much extra work and certainly hasn't been frustrating for me. If anything, the positive feedback I got on my mod encouraged me even more.

Sometimes, it is because there is an idea in you and you just want to get it out because if you don't or you can't, it drives ya nuts, lol. But it can be fun despite all the frustration just to see something you made be out there.

I guess the reason(s) would be similar to why people write fanfiction.

That being said, a person's motivations can (and often will) shift should circumstances around them change. Many things that people did just for the fun often has (or has the potential to) lead to someone doing it as a profession although that wasn't originally their intent.

But I'd say the reasons we put ourselves through such frustrations often to have people respond in ungrateful ways has more to do with emotions than logic. It makes us feel good in the end, for one reason or another whether it is because of all our work that went into it to seeing it finally done and or because of those who do appreciate what we've done regardless as to how few or great that number may be.

That be my opinion anyway and I thank you for posing such a good question.

i am a modder because i am a writer touched by the dam dog his self. Since i got Oblivion for the 360 in late 08 and nearly 360 hours in, i was hungry for a richer magicka system and more quests revolving around the mages guild, necromancers and the daedric princes. i read up on lore at the uesp and the imperial library and wrote rough basic questline skeletons and objective chains along with backstories, pseudo-histories and essays of descriptions of all the content i dreamed to create. i drew weapons, wrote spells, architected cities from my dreams onto paper, brought people from my favorite places together in one crazy ass story, and all

Cause I am clearly insane

only when the ck was released for skyrim did i delve into the nexus. to understand the intricacies of getting the different armor types, objects, animations, quests (not gonna harp-you know the drills) and found Quests were my strong suit as i had been doing that for four years already! i the learned what a model was and how it was going to be made into new visuals for my dreams- i then learned basic character creation, character scripting quest scripting and learned something about myself-

i am a goddamn damdog bitten madman for not posting here sooner.
scatterbrained n00b h3r3 so could anyone tell me where to post to ask possibly one of the dumbest and annoying questions in nexus history?

Well... Technically I haven't posted any mods yet, although that WILL change, and most likely very soon. In fact earlier today I posted something asking for help with a mod I am currently working on... Here is a link just in case there is anyone here who can help with the issue;

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2893164-making-a-simple-weapon-mod-having-trouble-need-help-please/

Anyway, the reason why I decided to get started... well, I already had some skill in 3D programs, and more so in programs like Photoshop and Gimp, but I'm primarily self taught. As such, I am constantly trying to think of projects to work on to challenge myself and increase my skills. Such is the nature of trying to learn something without formal education. But, as far as why I choose modding specifically, well... I just like the fact that if I'm playing a game and I don't like something, I can change it. For me, that adds a whole new level to gaming.

I started in FNV, after downloading some mods i thought: "Why not make one myself?" and i made some crappy mod that added a few aliens in the starting village, i'm not sure if i even released it, but i made more mods and learned scripting, used other people's weapon models with permission to make a couple weapon mods. Didn't have any 3d knowledge at the time, and only basic photoshop knowledge, so it was pretty much GECK work and some scripting.

Then moved to Skyrim as i was playing it and started focusing on texturing and modelling, and here i am.

I'm not even playing skyrim lately, so i guess i do it for fun.

Edited by FrankFamily

Balmora had a surprising lack of housing, and while I was at it I put up drawings I did on the tapestry for shits n giggles. Before I knew it I was chopping off bits and pieces of recolored armor for my 'mog' character.

My mods have mostly been private with some shared retextures, I don't really dare uploading bigger things like houses as my CK frequently broke Oblivion, and the amount of errors will likely do the same for Skyrim. I would rather make and edit armors but holeee hell is that a headache, at least Blender 2.7 feels great to work in, better late than never !