Texture location?

Thanks a lot! Keep us updated!

Well, without much coding knowledge nor understanding the language, it's very hard to know what to do. Would you mind explaining how you got the textures in detail?

Once you've got the Lua environment set up, it's just a question of downloading those scripts I linked to, and running this command:

lua unpack_textures.lua path_to_texture.cache [output_dir]

The problem is that the Lua scripts requires zlib and zlib-lua to be installed, and there are no binaries for Windows available. I tried compiling zlib-lua from source, but kept hitting errors.

My solution was to use Arch Linux in VirtualBox, because it has all of the required software in its repositories. I installed Lua 5.3, zlib, and zlib-lua, then ran the script, and the textures came tumbling out. The trick is what we do with them now!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't know yet. In W2, it seems that you could edit the textures, then place them in the proper subfolders under the 'CookedPC' folder, and the game would pick them up. This may or may not be the case for W3. I'm sure an override folder will be used, but we're just guessing what it might be called, and it might not be enabled yet, requiring some future patch.

Wow, that sounded quite difficult and tedious. Would it be legal to share the files on the nexus? The Witcher 2 files was allowed to upload. Anybody know if CD project red has said anything the Witcher 3 files? I just really wanne get my hands on the textures of the armors.

@Monty - Have you seen any png files in this texture.cache file? I'm trying to find where all these icon images are for inventory, menu overlays and what not, but I really have little knowledge of unpacking files as it seems you do.

Take care,

@luddeman - I don't see why not. They've made it perfectly clear that they're going to support modding, so this stuff is going to be shared one way or another, and it's not much use for piracy on its own. I'm uploading it as a modder's resource, but I don't know where the Nexus stands on sharing links to it on here. Maybe we could get some clarification from a moderator?

@diamok - I haven't found any pngs in the textures.cache. Assets seem to be squirreled away in a very unintuitive way accross the various cache and bundle files . If I come accross them, I'll let you know. ;)

OK, gang. For those modders having trouble extracting the textures, here are the extracted files for you to start playing with (there's a lot of them, it takes a while to load the page.)

Bear in mind, this is all still very experimental. The textures could be incomplete or screwed up in some way. I notice that some non-dds files have been extracted as .dds files. These may not be usable.

Also, we have no idea yet how to get the textures back into the game. Firstly, they will need to be converted back into Withcher's .xbm format. Secondly, we would either have to repack them back into the texture.cache archives (hacky, and may be infeasible), or figure out the location of an override folder that will pick them up (if one yet exists.) You guys might like to politely spam the CDPR forums and see if someone will give us clue as to the path of the override folder. :wink: If we can figure that out, we can do some good modding before the Redkit finally arrives.

In the mean time, these files are here for you to examine and experiment with. Good luck!

Edited by MontyModMonster

@Monty - That's what I've noticed as well...it almost feels as if they do not want us messing around inside these files...of course, that's part of the fun of it all. :-) Thanks.

Take care,

I noticed that many of the .png files you may be looking for are amongst the extracted files I posted. However, the extraction script has converted them into .dds files. They can still be opened if you have a package that can deal with dds files. They might be of interest.