Texture location?

I know that some of the weapons are stored in the r4items.bundle. I think that models usually have the .w2mesh extension - so try searching with that as a keyword.

EDIT:: I've tried replacing one of the inventory icons by placing an edited file in what I assume is its proper folder structure (in this case, it's the Enhanced Hanged Man's Venom, at gameplay/gui_new/icons/inventory/oils), in the following folders: content0, content0/bundles, patch0, patch0/bundles. No luck.

Perhaps there is no override structure and any content has to be bundled/cached. Should we post a thread on the official forums about this?

I never dabbled with W2 modding - could someone enlighten me as to how its override was set up?

Edited by BicameralAnt

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stumbled across this mod, which has some interesting info about creating bundle mods. http://nmm.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/25/?

So, the plot thickens - the metadata.store file is significant in which bundle files are picked up.

What is puzzling, is that bundle files seem to contain some xbm files, but these appear to be tiny thumbnails only. I don't know if packing the proper xbm files in bundle files rather than cache files will work. I do know that bundles and cache files have different structures.

I didn't play with modding W2 either, but IIRC, the override was as simple as creating a 'cookedpc' subfolder in the main game folder, and putting modded files in there.

Yeah, it seems that the way forward is to generate new .bundles rather than attempting to re-import files. Each DLC has its own metadata.store as well. Regarding the small .xbm files, I remember reading somewhere that they're previews - I guess for the resources in the .cache files.

The Witcher3Compressor looks interesting, but reading the posts makes me wary. The software is apparently more than a bit unpolished.

There's a poster in the thread claiming that Gibbed is working on new tools. No ETA, as far as I can tell.

The actual Witcher3Compressor seems fine - it's not doing much but zipping modded files into bundles. The question mark is over the hacky workaround of moving the default bundles into a new folder structure, and generating a new metadata.store. Presumably this step is needed because no-one has figured out how to edit the metadata.store file properly.

I'm still keen to try this out, to see if placing the full texture files in bundles works at all. Creating a cache file is a much more difficult proposition.

EDIT:

Have any of you guys determined textures that are likely to be very easy to immediately identify if successfully modded? Geralt's starting armour, perhaps, or some gui elements?

Edited by MontyModMonster

I am pretty sure this one is for Geralt's eyes.

characters#models#geralt#head#model#eye__geralt_d01.xbm.(128)

That should be pretty quick and easy to spot.

That's a good one, cheers.

Or any of the oils/potions or fooditems. They're .pngs - perhaps there's less room for error with that format.

That's a good point - we don't know for sure how to recreate valid XBMs once we've edited the DDS files, so we could get false negative results.

I don't want to sound negative, but I don't think CD Projekt is going to give out any info regarding mods until they make the Kit avaiable for use. Not that it hurts or doesn't help asking though, but I've just had a lot of expeience with Development Companies. With that expeience, DCs in the past have been very tight lipped regarding anything to do with, or related to a piece of software they are planning on releasing.

Again sorry and not hating or anything like that, I'm all for asking...I've just been through it and have gotten a bitter taste I guess.

Hopfully I am wrong in this case though.

Take care,

Edited by diamok

Generally I would agree with you. But CDPR have an unusually good record of responding to their fans, so it's worth a try. Also, they've touted modding as a selling point, and if it takes off like Skyrim modding, it'll certainly boost sales. By giving us an override folder (and if it's not present, it wouldn't take much work to implement), the modding community will be encouraged to develop a lot of quality content before they even ship the Redkit.