My Opinion on the Current State of the Skyrim Nexus

StupidDunmer

There's actually a lot going on. Lots of awesome mods released every week, many get missed - keep an eye on the Latest Files section.

Wanted to point out to y'all - Coffee already mods. He's not just a user (mostly directed at Lisnpuppy). TESA is still a great place though.

I didn't check that is my bad. My apologies on that one.

@Enai-I meant as far as people making mods. Hours played doesn't always mean someone is interested in making mods. Things ebb and flow a lot on that end.

Regardless my main point stands. If you want something to change the best way is to be proactive. Come up with some ideas. Think what you can personally offer. You'd be surprised the impact that can have.

I have talked a great deal with mod authors about how we can get different, less well seen mods noticed. I have offered ideas but nothing has been really picked up. I am happy to do so again in the appropriate place. Something needs to happen.

Personally, I think this is an exciting time for modding. Thanks to the discoveries made by many great Modders (especially those who generously share knowledge) people are building in new directions. Creating new tools or quite simply Turning things on their heads *DDProductions83*.

This is all good. All part of the natural process. We built it (or you did rather) and now we are taking it apart again. Inspecting all the pieces and seeing something new.

All I see is continual motivation to create.. and I don't care if it's a follower or a magical spoon. ;)

I dunno, I just downloaded a new mod that has a pile of standalone belts.. something I have looked for a very long time. I don't look at the hotfiles, I look at all the new mods, and honestly I find more interesting things than I have plug-in room for.

Lots more specific niche mods, and you won't see them in hotfiles.

Skyrim was released 11-11-11. Many of the modders who gave us those first great mods have moved on to new titles. The same thing happened to Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Also many good modders were chased away after being attacked by the community during the paid mods fubar. Everything should pick up again when Fallout 4 (5?) is released. As for Skyrim it has had it's day. But the state of Skyrim does not reflect on the state of the Nexus. The number of games supported has grown tremendously (although there seems to be little activity on most). The membership continues to grow. The support and services provided by Robin and his Merrie Moderators couldn't be better. The Nexus is strong and will continue to be so as long as there is game modding.

Rabbit

I don't know if anyone else is thinking this but, I'm thinking most of the practical and possible mods have been made. Most new ideas that are achievable are probably not going to be that impactful because, we've already seen so many amazing mods. New and interesting ideas are probably going to be hard to produce and will be time consuming. I've only been here since Skyrim came out and I'm just now getting interested in modding. However modding is difficult to learn even after years of dealing with managing plugins. I only started thinking about modding because, i've been upset about the lack of world space compatibility with the concept of Frostfall.

I think the bottom line is that there are a limited number of talented and dedicated modders. I'm guessing for the most part, they are busy maintaining their already well known projects. Just look at chesko, orgerboss or T3ndo.

Edited by TheNexusLurker

I don't know if anyone else is thinking this but, I'm thinking most of the practical and possible mods have been made. Most new ideas are achievable probably are not going to be that impactful because we've already seen so many amazing mods. New and interesting ideas are probably going to be hard to produce and time consuming. I've only been here since Skyrim came out and I'm just now getting interested in modding. However modding is difficult to learn even after years of dealing with managing plugins. I only started thinking about modding because, i've been upset about the lack of world space compatibility with the concept of Frostfall.

I think the bottom line is that there are a limited number of talented and dedicated modders. I'm guessing for the most part, they are busy maintaining their already well known projects. Just look at chesko, orgerboss or T3ndo.

Nah! Don't give up before you begin!

If you have an idea.. then run with it.

No kidding modding is not easy. Just started to mod in Dec., and I am at it almost every day and still there is a boatload I need to learn to accomplish what I want to do. And while there is a great deal of modder resources, all of them are again limited to what the exp modder wants to share in the form of a tutorial or whatever advise you can beg to get from modders who know more than you do. Not easy I can say. Non-modders would be surprised the investment it takes to learn how to use the tools in the CK to put something together. Every step turns into something else new you have to learn and a quest for "how to do it". It is far from just using your imagination and plopping down kit pieces and there you have a cool mod.