Tutorials for Skyrim modding

LHammonds

88 members have voted

1. 1. Type of tutorials?

• Video-based tutorial
    • Text+Image tutorial
    • Text only tutorial
    • Any kind that best covers the material
  2. 2. What areas would you prefer to be covered?

• How to create tutorials
    • How to use the Creation Kit
    • Creating models with 3ds Max
    • Creating models with Blender
    • Creating textures in Adobe Photoshop
    • Creating textures in GIMP
    • Creating textures in Paint.NET
    • Creating audio for voice overs
    • Creating audio for sound FX

well, i recall one of the admins here saying that Skyrim will still use the same file types (meaning that you can still create models and textures with the same tools, and export through NifSkope)

and if this is true, then the first thing that we really need, is to learn how to use the new construction set, however they'll make it

now, i don't know about you, but to me, i think that most tutorials for a construction set could be done with just written text, no need for videos or such

when it's working with a 3D modeling program or such, it's a different story

but aside from maybe using the render window, creating world spaces and such, i don't think that video tutorials are needed

as for tutorials for the other programs, i don't know how much difference there could be in how they are used, but such tutorials are always welcome, for people who haven't been here before (and so never used such tutorials for other games), or just people who have decided to try their hand at modding

well, i recall one of the admins here saying that Skyrim will still use the same file types (meaning that you can still create models and textures with the same tools, and export through NifSkope)

and if this is true, then the first thing that we really need, is to learn how to use the new construction set, however they'll make it

now, i don't know about you, but to me, i think that most tutorials for a construction set could be done with just written text, no need for videos or such

but aside from maybe using the render window, creating world spaces and such, i don't think that video tutorials are needed

as for tutorials for the other programs, i don't know how much difference there could be in how they are used, but such tutorials are always welcome, for people who haven't been here before (and so never used such tutorials for other games), or just people who have decided to try their hand at modding

I thought it was a new engine? NIFs belong to Gamebryo.

I thought it was a new engine? NIFs belong to Gamebryo.

yeah, Skyrim is supposed to be on a new engine

and i didn't know that Nifs belonged to Gamebryo, but if that is the case, then we may need to learn a whole new software (though i really have no idea)

what will remain the same (or at least mostly the same) is the files you need before you make the Nif, as in the model and textures

this is what the specific admin (can't remember which) said

as for Nif files, can anyone confirm this??

because this is the first i am hearing that we may need something different, and not just different exporting settings

They should have a "What's new" section for veteran users.The transition between construction set and GECK was wierd, I mean, in a good way. Searching things you want, and previewing objects, who knows what they'll add next?

This. I doubt however anyone who ever modded with CS had too much trouble figuring out geck. I switched fairly quickly and barely noticed. I'd like for it to have some step by step instruction on how to create Blender models and how to port them. I would love to be able to make some good armors and weapons for skyrim.

If NetImmerse/Gamebryo files will be dropped in favor of a new format we might need tutorials for importing, exporting, scripts, pythons, etc. Some of the first mods will most likely be retextures of vanilla objects. Knowing what's what would be a big help in jump-starting modders.

Some people find Videos easier to learn from however, text image tutorials are easier for people like me who need to go at a slow comfortable speed, not get a streaming video going too fast and not being able to follow it.

Hoping that both types will be made :)

I think we'd really only need Creation Kit tutorials this time 'round, because most of the other programs (Blender, GIMP, etc.) are all covered on their own sites. Of course, Bethesda could throw us a curve ball and use some totally proprietary format for their meshes...

Even if they use something like .cra for the creative engine it will just be container file. I don't think bethesda would develop an in-house modeler when 3DS works perfectly fine.

I think this poll has run its course.

I will be opening another poll soon with a multiple choice pick list of what tutorials you'd like to see the most when Skyrim hits the shelves.

Here is my current list of choices...feel free to chime in if I am missing any major items. I can only have 10 options per section, 3 seconds max.

Adding/Modifying Assets

• Animation Import/Export
  • Cinematic/Video Sequences
  • Creatures
  • Face Import/Export
  • Model Import/Export
  • Voices

Basic Tutorials

• Classes
  • Dungeons
  • Guilds/Factions
  • Non-Player Characters (NPC)