Skyrim is going to be dumbed down.

antonkr

Considering how much they ruined oblivion, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to dumb it down any further.

Quite true. While initially playing Oblivion I had an amazing time and really enjoyed it, taking a step back I realized all the screw-ups they made to make it more accessible for console gamers. In the end, I won't be surprised if Skyrim is lacking in the immersion and depth areas, but I know I will still love the game.

1. How could reading the intense and immersive lore be worse than listening to a few lines of dialogue that were voiced by literally 6 people. They hired 6 freaking people to do dialogue for hundreds of characters.

2. Paying for blessings were tithes for the church.

3. Fast travel was NOT optional in Oblivion. In Morrowind you did not have to walk everywhere, you could travel through specific mean to get near certain locations. In Oblivion it is either instant teleportation or hoof it.

4. In Morrowind, there was only a single character who could be killed to truly break the main story. Because of the alternate ways of completing the game, only one person needed to survive. Allowing the death of everyone just means you need to think before you go on a warhammer induced rampage.

5. Cultural reasons for death bounty? In every culture lethal force is met with lethal force.

6. There is no reason that a stolen item could be recognized by everyone. On another note, almost no items in Oblivion that could be stolen had value, silver cookware? 0 gold, a warehouse full of the finest silk clothing? a few hundred gold.

That was just my short rant/rebuttal. And there a whole lot more things that could be brought up against Oblivion.

Edited by Genzel

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no legitimate reason for removing mysticism. None! Why would they make such a stupid-ass move like that? Does Bethesda WANT to push us away?

We're not that stupid. We can learn more complex skill sets IF THEY'LL JUST LET US! >:( Bethesda really needs to just go back to the skill system from Morrowind. Stop pandering to console 'tards and respect how intelligent we gamers are!

Give us back our crossbows and spears, goddamn it! And there's no legitimate reason why a dagger and a longsword should be handled the same way. Nor should a mace and a sword be handled the same way. The attack animations should reflect that. A bandit wielding an axe should not be able to handle a dagger as well as my thief character because my thief specializes in daggers.

Also, give us an option to turn off tutorials. They may help absolute newbies, but those of us who are more experienced don't even need them! I don't know which is worse: The tutorial in Oblivion or Navi from Ocarina of Time. Enough with all the hand-holding so early in the game!

Why so much hate for fast travel? Nobody's forcing you to use it, and time passes as if you'd have traveled normally. Genzel, your comment that it wasn't optional makes me wonder if we even played the same game.

Cultural reasons for death bounty: IIRC, the Norse legal system worked like that--if you were found guilty of murder, you had to pay a fine to the victim's family. Two cows or gold or goods of equal value. If you couldn't afford it, you were jailed or exiled.

There is no legitimate reason for removing mysticism. None! Why would they make such a stupid-ass move like that? Does Bethesda WANT to push us away?

We're not that stupid. We can learn more complex skill sets IF THEY'LL JUST LET US! >:( Bethesda really needs to just go back to the skill system from Morrowind. Stop pandering to console 'tards and respect how intelligent we gamers are!

Give us back our crossbows and spears, goddamn it! And there's no legitimate reason why a dagger and a longsword should be handled the same way. Nor should a mace and a sword be handled the same way. The attack animations should reflect that. A bandit wielding an axe should not be able to handle a dagger as well as my thief character because my thief specializes in daggers.

Also, give us an option to turn off tutorials. They may help absolute newbies, but those of us who are more experienced don't even need them! I don't know which is worse: The tutorial in Oblivion or Navi from Ocarina of Time. Enough with all the hand-holding so early in the game!

Why so much hate for fast travel? Nobody's forcing you to use it, and time passes as if you'd have traveled normally. Genzel, your comment that it wasn't optional makes me wonder if we even played the same game.

Cultural reasons for death bounty: IIRC, the Norse legal system worked like that--if you were found guilty of murder, you had to pay a fine to the victim's family. Two cows or gold or goods of equal value. If you couldn't afford it, you were jailed or exiled.

Mysticism might be merged into other schools...

Genzel is right about the fast travel, in Oblivion you either used the "teleport to and from anywhere" system or walked. There was no transport system in Oblivion. Modded rings that let you travel from place to place like Oblivion were listed under cheats on Morrowind mod sites and with good reason.

According to the thoughts in this thread, if Bethesda keeps up their current pattern, by ES7 there will be 3 skills: Magic, weapons, and thievery.

Pointy, fireball and heal.

I would like someone to explain fully to me how they believe Oblivion was simpler than Morrowind, this would benefit many people.
1000% more dialogue than oblivion.No compass markers and quests that blatantly ............

1000% more dialogue than oblivion. But very little voice acting, i'd rather hear than read potentially pointless or trivial information all the time.No compass markers and quests that blatantly tell you what to do. I'm sure these can be ignored, but i remember in Morrowind, it was so annoying trying to get to somewhere you didn't know because of cliff racersNo level scaling at all. I agree with this point, but i does not 'Dumb' down, but perhaps m................

1000% more dialogue than oblivion. But very little voice acting, i'd rather hear than read potentially pointless or trivial information all the time.No compass markers and quests that blatantly tell you what to do. I'm sure these can be ignored, but...............

What you are all comparing is difference between total Hardcore vs. Easier to Play(Note:its like playing F:NV and hardcore mode either you did or did not) and Morrwind = samller company less $$ Oblivion = Larger Company and more $$ there are pro and cons for both like Voice acting cost money but samller company more personal thus things may have more personal taste. all is based on personal ideas

Genzel is right about the fast travel, in Oblivion you either used the "teleport to and from anywhere" system or walked. There was no transport system in Oblivion. Modded rings that let you travel from place to place like Oblivion were listed under cheats on Morrowind mod sites and with good reason.

But there were horses! You could also ride a horse! That's three options there.

Still, people need to stop bitching and moaning about fast travel. If you don't like it, DON'T f***ing USE IT!

The problem with fast travel is it is a lazy, content robbing, short cut. Why come up with anything more interesting if you can just teleport? For someone griping about removal of features you sure don't seem to mind the removal of a reasonable and plausable travel system found in Morrowind for a short cutted 'hey we can just teleport' dumbed down system like Oblivion.

I can't express enough how much people need to stop trying to explain Skyrim features by basing things on actual world Norse people. You can't assume something will be the same simply because the Nords are visually themed on an actual group. If that were the case, why did the Empire, based on Romans, abolish slavery? Why don't they use gladius and tower shield techniques, the corner stone of Roman military superiority. Because they arn't Romans, they just look like them, similarly to how the Nords just look like the Norse.

Your generalization of the Norse and their "legal system" is terrible. Are you refering to the Norse in Norway, Sweden, Ireland, Finland, Normandy, Greenland, or possibly the Rus? Do you really think they all had the same laws or looked the same?

People's generalization of this culture on here is as bad as people who casually say, well the Indians did it this way... in reference to the millions of Native American's who's diverse cultures spanned thousands of miles.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

Oblivion and Morrowind are both awesome games, i am a big fan of Morrowind but i dont understand why is so much hate to Oblivion, Morrowind was deeper and unique, but it has many flaws, with Oblivion some of those flaws were solved, and although it was not as great as morrowind it is still better than 99% of the games arround.

For mysticism, in Dagerfall there was an school of magic called thaumaturgy, no one seems to miss it, many of its spells were merged into Alteration and Mysticism, and no one is bashing Morrowind about that.

As for fast travel, is better than nothing, i would love to have a travel sistem based in the one of morrowind, but no travel system would be worse.

What you are all comparing is difference between total Hardcore vs. Easier to Play(Note:its like playing F:NV and hardcore mode either you did or did not) and Morrwind = samller company less $$ Oblivion = Larger Company and more $$ there are pro and cons for both like Voice acting cost money but samller company more personal thus things may have more personal taste. all is based on personal ideas

Well, you managed to make no sense whatsoever.